Obesity: A Republican problem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obesity: A Republican problem?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obesity: A Republican problem?  (Read 3580 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »

As we can see in this chart, there's some kind of correlation conservativism<->weight problems.

Considering the lack of interest in health care by the Republican Party, can we say that they are part responsible for the problem?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Blacks and Hispanics are more obese than Whites.

Obesity: A Democratic problem?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »

The lower Mississippi makes people fat.

Seriously though, poor people tend to be fatter than non-poor people, there are a lot of poor people in these states, but not all poor people are Republican.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

Correlation\=\ causation

And this.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »

The fattest states also tend to have the highest disability rates too

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/05/20/states-with-the-most-americans-on-disability/2/
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »

Compared to the rest of the world....its clearly an American problem
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

The lower Mississippi makes people fat.
^^^^^^^^^^^
As somebody who lives here, let me tell you guys, this area does make people fat! The relentless humidity makes going outside unbearable. When I visit other parts of the country I am always shocked by how pleasant the outdoors is. Cities are walkable. Restaurants have tables outside so that people can enjoy the fresh air. What a concept!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

yes, and it's a Democrat problem as well.  And an unaffiliated voter's problem.  It's everyone's problem. 

Here's a more finely-grained map.

Whether it is more a problem for members of one party over all others, I don't know.  You'd have to find some correlation data to make that case.  You can't conclude that since states which had a higher ratio of Romney voters to Obama voters have a higher obesity rate, it's more of a Republican problem.  Similarly, you can't just say that since blacks are more obese, and blacks are more likely to be democrat, then it's more of a problem for Democrats.  You'd want to find a report of obesity rate by partisan affiliation.

I did read that we have lost our status as the most obese among the populous nations.  Mexico surpassed us in July of this year in that regard.  ¡Viva las ricas tortas!

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

That county map is very interesting, I'm happy to note how rapidly obesity drops off after crossing the Virginia state line.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »

The fat states also tend to be poor states, which tend to vote Republican, while the rich states vote for Dems.  And yet it's the rich people in those poor states that are most likely to vote Republican. [/andrew gelman]
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »

There's a correlation between being poor (and, by extension, between living in a poor state) and being obese, and a correlation between being a not-as-poor person in a poor state and being a Republican.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »

There's a correlation between being poor (and, by extension, between living in a poor state) and being obese, and a correlation between being a not-as-poor person in a poor state and being a Republican.

Conclusion: If you have money, then living anywhere in the proximity of fat people will make you more likely to vote Republican.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

Conclusion: If you have money, then living anywhere in the proximity of fat people will make you more likely to vote Republican.

Similar to the effect blacks have on whites.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »

Logical fallacies, ahoy!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »

That county map is very interesting, I'm happy to note how rapidly obesity drops off after crossing the Virginia state line.

I see too many suspicious state borders. Virginia / WV, Colorado / Kansas, Texas / Louisiana, Texas / Oklahoma.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

Yet the Republicans want everyone else to change their ways.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »

I see too many suspicious state borders. Virginia / WV, Colorado / Kansas, Texas / Louisiana, Texas / Oklahoma.

I see them too. I have a hard time believing that So IL is so different than its neighboring states or E CO from NE and KS. I suspect that data collection may be skewed by how each state measures obesity and then reports it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

Very proud of my native Atlanta metro, as the only oasis in the deep fried south
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2013, 10:06:24 AM by angus »

I see them too. I have a hard time believing that So IL is so different than its neighboring states or E CO from NE and KS. I suspect that data collection may be skewed by how each state measures obesity and then reports it.

I noticed Virginia and Texas right away, and now that you mention it Illinois sticks out as well.  I saw that it was compiled from CDC estimates so I figured it was probably about as good as any data we could get, but if states are reporting separately it might explain some differences.

Or, maybe that's just the way it is.  Based on my anecdotal observations, I'd expect the rates to be very high in the four-corners region and in the lower Mississippi River valley.  In both those places, the rates are high.  Still, I'd also have expected it to be high in the lower Rio Grande valley, though.  Also, like you, I wouldn't expect the rates to be so different between Briston, TN and Bristol, VA, or between Nacogdoches, TX and Natchitoches, LA, for example.  Maybe there are some differences between state reporting, or collecting, protocols.

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

Could be, could be. I've always, personally, felt that there could be a correlation between eating unhealthy food and obesity. But, yeah, I think your explanation is considerably better thought out than mine.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »

I noticed Virginia and Texas right away, and now that you mention it Illinois sticks out as well.  I saw that it was compiled from CDC estimates so I figured it was probably about as good as any data we could get, but if states are reporting separately it might explain some differences.

Or, maybe that's just the way it is.  Based on my anecdotal observations, I'd expect the rates to be very high in the four-corners region and in the lower Mississippi River valley.  In both those places, the rates are high.  Still, I'd also have expected it to be high in the lower Rio Grande valley, though.  Also, like you, I wouldn't expect the rates to be so different between Briston, TN and Bristol, VA, or between Nacogdoches, TX and Natchitoches, LA, for example.  Maybe there are some differences between state reporting, or collecting, protocols.

I also see on the county-level map that the middle four shades represent very tight ranges. A shift of 3% from 27.5% to 30.5% moves from the second best to second worst category. Slight differences in reporting methodology could easily create that discrepancy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »

I have seen grotesquely-obese people in their 30s and 40s navigating their way on carts in Wal*Mart. Such people are effectively disabled.  I can't imagine anyone willingly eating himself into such a condition.

Death wish?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 05:54:14 AM »

I have seen grotesquely-obese people in their 30s and 40s navigating their way on carts in Wal*Mart. Such people are effectively disabled.  I can't imagine anyone willingly eating himself into such a condition.

Death wish?

How about an effective system put into place by the ultra wealthy elites that encourages people to eat low price unhealthy foods that have addictive qualities to them?  And yes I'm including those elites that pay lip service to "supporting the poor and middle class" while also supporting policies that have destroyed them while also promoting policies that support the ultra-conglomerates.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »

Could be, could be. I've always, personally, felt that there could be a correlation between eating unhealthy food and obesity.

No, not so much.  It is about quantity of food more than quality.  That, and degree of sedentaryness.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »

How about an effective system put into place by the ultra wealthy elites that encourages people to eat low price unhealthy foods that have addictive qualities to them?  And yes I'm including those elites that pay lip service to "supporting the poor and middle class" while also supporting policies that have destroyed them while also promoting policies that support the ultra-conglomerates.
You think there is a grand conspiracy of the ultra wealthy elites with the goal of making poor people fat?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies