Obesity: A Republican problem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obesity: A Republican problem?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obesity: A Republican problem?  (Read 3584 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »

No, its actually poorer people (who often eat cheap fast food and other stuff) who are often more obese. So in the end, that would actually skew a little bit more democratic. But its an American problem we need to fix.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »

How about an effective system put into place by the ultra wealthy elites that encourages people to eat low price unhealthy foods that have addictive qualities to them?  And yes I'm including those elites that pay lip service to "supporting the poor and middle class" while also supporting policies that have destroyed them while also promoting policies that support the ultra-conglomerates.
You think there is a grand conspiracy of the ultra wealthy elites with the goal of making poor people fat?

The fat is a side effect of what they're conspiring to do to their slaves, dead.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

I have seen grotesquely-obese people in their 30s and 40s navigating their way on carts in Wal*Mart. Such people are effectively disabled.  I can't imagine anyone willingly eating himself into such a condition.

Death wish?

How about an effective system put into place by the ultra wealthy elites that encourages people to eat low price unhealthy foods that have addictive qualities to them?  And yes I'm including those elites that pay lip service to "supporting the poor and middle class" while also supporting policies that have destroyed them while also promoting policies that support the ultra-conglomerates.

If I wanted to believe the worst I would think of pathological obesity as one way to dispose of people that our economic elites consider 'no longer desirable in the workplace'.  So what do you do if you no longer need someone to work in your factory but who has no use elsewhere?

Food -- especially high-fat, high-sugar food -- is cheap in America. It's cheaper than a pension or disability payments. If someone with a walrus physique dies of a heart attack at age 48 -- well, that's someone who will never collect Social Security, Medicare, or a pension.  The deceased will even  supply copious fuel for a cremation and make that cheap.

Of course I hope that such is a wild fantasy. Maybe that is good for a sci-fi story.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »

I have seen grotesquely-obese people in their 30s and 40s navigating their way on carts in Wal*Mart. Such people are effectively disabled.  I can't imagine anyone willingly eating himself into such a condition.

Death wish?

How about an effective system put into place by the ultra wealthy elites that encourages people to eat low price unhealthy foods that have addictive qualities to them?  And yes I'm including those elites that pay lip service to "supporting the poor and middle class" while also supporting policies that have destroyed them while also promoting policies that support the ultra-conglomerates.

If I wanted to believe the worst I would think of pathological obesity as one way to dispose of people that our economic elites consider 'no longer desirable in the workplace'.  So what do you do if you no longer need someone to work in your factory but who has no use elsewhere?

Food -- especially high-fat, high-sugar food -- is cheap in America. It's cheaper than a pension or disability payments. If someone with a walrus physique dies of a heart attack at age 48 -- well, that's someone who will never collect Social Security, Medicare, or a pension.  The deceased will even  supply copious fuel for a cremation and make that cheap.

Of course I hope that such is a wild fantasy. Maybe that is good for a sci-fi story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »

Death wish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Of course that violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, but it's science fiction and little things like the speed of light can't get in the way of a space drama. (Soylent Green of course has nothing to do with outer space).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies