Blockbuster closing all U.S stores
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:24:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Blockbuster closing all U.S stores
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blockbuster closing all U.S stores  (Read 2113 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:44 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/06/news/companies/blockbuster-stores-closing/
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »

I thought Blockbuster went down in 2007?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »

They will re open for the XBox One.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »

Still in decent shape here in Australia, as far as I can tell.  Not so many streaming options here, it seems (other than piracy).
Link
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

I can't recall the last time I watched recorded media of any kind.  And I really can't recall renting recorded media in years.  Sufficed to say all the video rental stores near me are closed.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »

I remember passing by an open Blockbusters a few months ago and being shocked that it was still around.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »

Obama's fault.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »

Mark Desmond will be happy to be finally taken as a serious supervillain, tho I imagine LexCorp will soon come up with a way to resume operations and save the U.S. economy as well as give Luthor a handsome profit. (Just as Lex intended all along.)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »

I remember seeing Sucker Punch in Blockbuster, so there must have been one in my neighborhood as late as 2011 or so.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »

I remember passing by an open Blockbusters a few months ago and being shocked that it was still around.

I feel that way about Radio Shack. They're everywhere and yet I haven't been in one or seen a commercial for them in years.

Still, Blockbuster's demise has left a tiny hole in the market for people who want to rent a movie that isn't a new release or something fairly famous and old. If the streaming service you subscribe to doesn't offer it, your only option is pretty much to buy it outright.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »

I feel that way about Radio Shack. They're everywhere and yet I haven't been in one or seen a commercial for them in years.

Still, Blockbuster's demise has left a tiny hole in the market for people who want to rent a movie that isn't a new release or something fairly famous and old. If the streaming service you subscribe to doesn't offer it, your only option is pretty much to buy it outright.

Netflix mail-in still exists, though in terms of getting it the same day, yeah that's a valid point. However just as independent record stores have managed to hang on despite the end of the big chains, a few mom and pop video rental places have still stuck around as well and will no doubt be around quite a bit longer after the end of Blockbuster.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

Netflix mail-in still exists, though in terms of getting it the same day, yeah that's a valid point. However just as independent record stores have managed to hang on despite the end of the big chains, a few mom and pop video rental places have still stuck around as well and will no doubt be around quite a bit longer after the end of Blockbuster.

Like a Vintage VHS store or something  at Spencer's, Hot Topic  or something?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

You can rent from Amazon streaming. Worth mentioning that there will be 50 franchise stores remaining. Can't say I'll miss them.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 03:19:58 AM »

There's a blockbuster about 10 miles away, and I went in there once at noon, and I was really surprised on how well it was doing.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »

Between Netflix, the movie viewing services offered by satellite tele providers, and many libraries' collections of thousands of DVDs and music albums - I really find it difficult to understand how Blockbuster could even hope to stay relevant. If anything I'm surprised it didn't close all its U.S. stores years ago.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

Still in decent shape here in Australia, as far as I can tell.  Not so many streaming options here, it seems (other than piracy).

Why are people not flocking out of your awful third-world country? Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »

I have a Family Video near me and I used it within the last year to rent an older movie that I wanted to see. They seem to be doing fine.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »

I thought Blockbuster went down in 2007?
i was still using blockbuster occasionally up to about 2010
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

I'm surprised they made it this long.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2013, 03:51:58 AM by Mr. Morden »

Still in decent shape here in Australia, as far as I can tell.  Not so many streaming options here, it seems (other than piracy).

Why are people not flocking out of your awful third-world country? Wink

We manage.  Tongue

In any case, I never had a Netflix membership when I lived in the US, and I doubt I'd get one if I moved back in the near future.  Not sure I watch movies frequently enough for it to be worth it.  When I do watch movies, it's usually done socially, with friends, and it's a spur of the moment decision as to what movie to watch.  In addition, I usually just watch a movie once, and don't come back to it, so I'm generally cool with renting rather than buying.  I also tend to favor movies that aren't new releases, so unlikely to be available from something like Redbox.

So, bottom line, video rental stores are actually pretty well suited to my own movie watching habits, and I'm glad that Blockbuster is still alive here in Oz.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »

I thought they were all closed already.
Link
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

I have a Family Video near me and I used it within the last year to rent an older movie that I wanted to see. They seem to be doing fine.

They seem to be mostly located in the midwest and Canada.  I wonder if that has something to do with broadband and cable availability.  Your article says one of the perks is free movie rentals for children.  From observing friends of mine with children I've come to the conclusion that Netflix is perfect for children.  There is an endless supply of childrens programing covering decades.  A friend of mine cancelled all but basic cable and their kids didn't even notice. 

The kids never rush to sit in front of a TV at a set time to watch a show or ask to rent a DVD.  Honestly I think the youngest doesn't know what a movie rental store is.

If I ever have children Netflix will be a must.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »

A sad day for America.  I remember renting movies from there when I went to visit my aunt & uncle in the Chicago area. 

While we're on the subject, we were doing some housecleaning today, and we discovered some old VHS tapes from when I was little.  It brought back a lot of nice memories. Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »

They seem to be mostly located in the midwest and Canada.  I wonder if that has something to do with broadband and cable availability.  Your article says one of the perks is free movie rentals for children.  From observing friends of mine with children I've come to the conclusion that Netflix is perfect for children.  There is an endless supply of childrens programing covering decades.  A friend of mine cancelled all but basic cable and their kids didn't even notice. 

The kids never rush to sit in front of a TV at a set time to watch a show or ask to rent a DVD.  Honestly I think the youngest doesn't know what a movie rental store is.

If I ever have children Netflix will be a must.

Yes, Netflix is wonderful for my 3 year old daughter.  That and youtube. We don't have cable, and don't really need it.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »

Yeah the one ~10 minutes away from where I live closed years ago
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: