Confirmation Hearing: Ben Constine for Attorney General (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Ben Constine for Attorney General (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Ben Constine for Attorney General (Confirmed)  (Read 1679 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2013, 05:35:40 PM by VP Matt »

Senators, you have 72 hours to ruthlessly question the nominee. Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »

A couple of things:

1. How would you have proceeded in the case against homelycooking. Would you have proceeded the same way the Attorney General did, if not, what are the differences?

2. You made a statement saying that you would pursue legal action against Marnetmar. How would you justify that, given the legal code does not go after people who post PMs?

3. How would you describe the temperament you would take as Attorney General?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

I have complete confidence in this nominee, and while I look forward to hearing his responses, I will certainly be voting to confirm him!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »

What in your resume makes you qualified for the role of Attorney General?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »

DemPGH was certainly a very active Attorney General. Could you describe at some length your feelings about the actions he took as Attorney General and what you might have done in his place?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

I'll pose the same question I posed to Fritz. I'm a bit naive on people's pasts, so what past experiences would make you a good RG? (a short answer is fine)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

I'll pose the same question I posed to Fritz. I'm a bit naive on people's pasts, so what past experiences would make you a good RG? (a short answer is fine)

If you hadn't asked it, I would have pulled the same stunt I did in Bgwah's to attain the response.

" Ben who? Say again? Isn't that one of the founders or something? Can't say I have ever heard of him before" Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »

Hi all.  Ironically, my activity this weekend is limited as I have a Mock Trial during the weekend, which demands much of my attention.  Forgive, then, the briefness of my replies (and feel free to delay a vote until next week, when I can give fuller responses).

1. How would you have proceeded in the case against homelycooking. Would you have proceeded the same way the Attorney General did, if not, what are the differences?

I would've defended Homely on the grounds that the vagueness of the statute should leave the discretion to the regulator - Homely, in this case.

2. You made a statement saying that you would pursue legal action against Marnetmar. How would you justify that, given the legal code does not go after people who post PMs?

In my foolishness I didn't realize the statute had been changed.  I would, for the future, advocate restoring the old law.

3. How would you describe the temperament you would take as Attorney General?

Apologies, but I'm not sure I understand.  Could you clarify please?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »

What in your resume makes you qualified for the role of Attorney General?

I've been a long citizen in Atlasia, holding a Senate seat for more than a year, and thus helped write many laws.  I also have a background in legal studies outside of Atlasia Smiley

DemPGH was certainly a very active Attorney General. Could you describe at some length your feelings about the actions he took as Attorney General and what you might have done in his place?

I'm generally fine with what he did as AG, although he was perhaps a bit combative and partisan for my taste.  I see this position as reactive to circumstances, so he may well end up being more active than I as AG, we'll see.

Presumably you meant AG Smiley  In addition to my time as a defendant nearly five years ago, I have extensive experience at both the regional and national levels, helping write a good many laws currently on the books.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »

Whoops, yes, I was definitely thinking of the question I posed to Fritz when I wrote it. AG, indeed. Thanks for your answer.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:44:56 AM »

Can you explain your reasoning for attempting to impeach the entire Supreme Court? In retrospect, do you still feel that this action was justified? Why or why not? Do you think the fact that you spearheaded an effort to impeach a majority of the current Supreme Court will have any bearing on your ability to capably represent the Atlasian government in said court?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:47:35 AM »

I would like to delay until I get more detailed answers from the nominee. I have respect for the nominee, but I think the Senate benefits when this process at least kind of challenges the nominee.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »

Just curious myself. . .

1) Ben, you can edit the Wiki, yes? I just put a couple things in yesterday, but there's one thing I haven't been able to get to that I can talk to you about later. And I can edit the Wiki, so I can lend a hand now and again.

2) How would you have handled the final constitution and the Rimjob situation? I dealt with it directly in Court while the Senate worked to make the framework of it illegal.

I'm generally fine with what he did as AG, although he was perhaps a bit combative and partisan for my taste.  I see this position as reactive to circumstances, so he may well end up being more active than I as AG, we'll see.

Yes. Things were relatively calm during the Marokai term, but at the end of it there was an eruption like a volcano. It needed dealt with.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »

Can you explain your reasoning for attempting to impeach the entire Supreme Court? In retrospect, do you still feel that this action was justified? Why or why not? Do you think the fact that you spearheaded an effort to impeach a majority of the current Supreme Court will have any bearing on your ability to capably represent the Atlasian government in said court?

At the time, I was of the opinion that the Court had become too partisan, and was deliberately delaying decisions - which I felt was grounds for impeachment.  I felt it was justified at the time, and given the then present circumstances I still believe it was justified.  Since then, the Court has changed behavior, which was my end goal anyway.  I certainly hope that my past efforts will not hamper my ability to stand before the Court, but that is really a question for the individual Justices.

Just curious myself. . .

1) Ben, you can edit the Wiki, yes? I just put a couple things in yesterday, but there's one thing I haven't been able to get to that I can talk to you about later. And I can edit the Wiki, so I can lend a hand now and again.

2) How would you have handled the final constitution and the Rimjob situation? I dealt with it directly in Court while the Senate worked to make the framework of it illegal.

1.  I've had wiki access since before you were on this forum Dem Smiley  I appreciate your offer of help as well.

2.  I would've gone straight to the Courts, while letting the Senate handle the framework of it, as you did.

I would like to delay until I get more detailed answers from the nominee. I have respect for the nominee, but I think the Senate benefits when this process at least kind of challenges the nominee.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to me elaborate on, before I disappear in roughly 12 hours?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »

I must object to the nomination of Ben Constine for Attorney General. Constine holds extremist views on a number of issues, specifically on issues involving the use of force abroad (which in my book never strays far from being and advocate of using force at home). I have serious concerns about placing a trigger-happy hawk in charge of any facet of our government which deals with the administration of justice, even at home.

Absolutely, and it's embarrassing we've waited this long.

Man is this a terrible idea.  Senators, please kill it.

Constine also introduced legislation to infringe on the right of drug users to use those drugs without fear of legal repercussions. As the Senate is currently considering a bill decriminalizing hard drug use, I have concerns about whether or not Constine will follow the letter of the law and cease unfair prosecutions against the addicted.

Constine has also made public statements supporting BART in a recent strike involving its workforce. The right of public employees to strike is protected by the Labor Rights Act and I fear that under a Constine-led Attorney Generalship, it might be in jeopardy or curtailed.

Unless I can be sure that he will not abuse the powers granted to him by the position, I will not be casting my ballot in favor of confirming Ben Constine.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »

After hearing arguments from Senators Xahar and TNF, I am leaning against voting to confirm this jominee.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

A lot of the views Senator TNF has mentioned have very little to do with what he would do as Attorney General. Granted, if this were a vote for SoEA, I'd probably be voting along with the Midwest Senator, but this is clearly not having much to do with external affairs. I think I'd be hardpressed to vote against a nominee just because I disagree with his views on a couple of subject matter. That wouldn't have much effect on how he would be an Attorney General.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »

A lot of the views Senator TNF has mentioned have very little to do with what he would do as Attorney General. Granted, if this were a vote for SoEA, I'd probably be voting along with the Midwest Senator, but this is clearly not having much to do with external affairs. I think I'd be hardpressed to vote against a nominee just because I disagree with his views on a couple of subject matter. That wouldn't have much effect on how he would be an Attorney General.

I think Senator TNF did a good iob showing the relevance, in addition to prior missteps like declaring he would pursue criminal charges against someone who broke no laws. The last thing we need is an overzealous aggressive AG on the wrong side of the spectrum.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

I think Senator TNF did a good iob showing the relevance, in addition to prior missteps like declaring he would pursue criminal charges against someone who broke no laws. The last thing we need is an overzealous aggressive AG on the wrong side of the spectrum.

The first thing we need is an attorney general, period. I agree that he made a mistake in wanting to pursue criminal charges against Marnetmar, but it was a mistake. I would like to question the nominee if he considers himself an activist Attorney General or not, but I think his full record is one of solid service.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »

The first thing we need is an attorney general, period.

Good thing we have over one hundred Atlasians or we may never find one.

I've never been a fan of that argument.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »

No one is without bias, and I do take serious issue with some of Ben's expressed views, which may or may not show depending on what goes on his platter. I have reservations of my own, but hopefully he can reassure us all otherwise.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »

The first thing we need is an attorney general, period.

Good thing we have over one hundred Atlasians or we may never find one.

I've never been a fan of that argument.

He would be one of few who both: A) wants the job B) would be good at it (due to previous experience). I mean, it's not GM, but it has merit in my mind.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »

One thing I can say from experience: the vast majority of the issues that the A.G. deals with are game-related. You can always challenge statutes, but I doubt very much that a law that de-criminalizes drug addiction / use is unconstitutional.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »

To be clear: I will enforce to the illness extent any law.  Many of my expressed views aren't relevant to bring AG.  I'm asking y'all to give me the benefit of the doubt.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 04:31:17 AM »

I confidence that Ben will be able to diligently perform his duties appropriately and with care. I do not agree with him on everything but when it comes to this post his job isn't to make these laws but to prosecute those who violate them, I am sure he understands that and will avoid being guided by personal bias.

Also we are overdo for a vote here, Matt.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies