Confirmation Hearing: Fritz for Registar General (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:16:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Fritz for Registar General (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Fritz for Registar General (Confirmed)  (Read 1089 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2013, 05:33:10 PM by VP Matt »

OK

With Homely's resignation, I am nominating former registrar general Fritz for the position. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Senators, the waterboarding time has commenced, you have 72 hours.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

Thank you, Matt.  The office I am nominated for is RG, not SoFE.   Smiley
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »

Thank you, Matt.  The office I am nominated for is RG, not SoFE.   Smiley
Fixed Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »

Do you plan to use the same spreadsheet and format that Homely currently uses?

How often do you think you'll be able to provide an update of the census?

Oh, and you have my complete support. Smiley
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »

Will you be managing the job in a similar way as homely had? If not, what are some distinct differences that will be apparent between the two of you?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »

Much of the style and formatting you see in Homely's Census Bureau thread was actually created by me, during my tenure as RG.  So yes, my Census Bureau thread will be very similar to Homely's.  One thing I will make a point of doing, that I did not see Homely doing: the voter list must be updated precisely 7 days before an election, and then not updated again until after the election.  This provides an accurate voter list for the election in question.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

Oh, and I intend to update on a weekly basis.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 08:33:14 PM by Senator Tyrion »

Forgive me for being a bit naive. Could you give me a couple of short bullet points as to why you're a good choice, based on past experience?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »

You will definitely have my support, Fritz.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:18:44 AM »

Forgive me for being a bit naive. Could you give me a couple of short bullet points as to why you're a good choice, based on past experience?

Way, way back in the distant past (2004), I served as Secretary of Forum Affairs under several Presidents.  I served with honor and distinction for about 6 months, before leaving the game for personal reasons.  I returned in 2009.  In 2010, the SoFA position was split into two positions, and I became the first Registrar General.  As I discussed previously, much of what you see today in Census Bureau was actually designed by me.  I had to resign when I became President.  The RG position has been my favorite of all the positions I have held in Atlasia.  I guess I just like Excel spreadsheets.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »

Thank you for your answer.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2013, 08:27:55 AM by homelycooking »

Way, way back in the distant past (2004), I served as Secretary of Forum Affairs under several Presidents.  I served with honor and distinction for about 6 months, before leaving the game for personal reasons.  I returned in 2009.  In 2010, the SoFA position was split into two positions, and I became the first Registrar General.  As I discussed previously, much of what you see today in Census Bureau was actually designed by me.  I had to resign when I became President.  The RG position has been my favorite of all the positions I have held in Atlasia.  I guess I just like Excel spreadsheets.

Indeed, I have Fritz to thank for the organization of the RG's data - and I encourage the Senate to confirm him as the next RG. Though I was very disappointed with the outcome of Inks v RG Homely and I wouldn't have minded serving for a longer period of time, selecting an enthusiastic new (old) RG after over two years of my tenure is probably what is needed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »

Fritz,

A ways back (like 2009ish), you had advocated for a larger population base for the game and you had made an effort to recruit people as President, even assembling a committee of sorts consisting of a diverse group of people to do this. Considering what has transpired since, do you still believe that a larger population is possible to attain, but on a more sustainable basis through a series of actions that was not taken in either 2009/2010 or 2012/2013? If so, what would those actions be, specifically as it relates to activity standards, voter eligibility, candidate eligibity and the like, but also in other areas?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 01:27:24 AM »

I disagree with the nominee on the current amendment being proposed, but I have no question of Fritz's ability to be Registar General. I will vote in favor of the nominee and encourage my colleagues to do the same.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 02:01:19 AM »

I interviewed Fritz as an RG candidate when I was President, and I'm happy to support him now. He will make a great RG! Good call Mr. President
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

Fritz,

A ways back (like 2009ish), you had advocated for a larger population base for the game and you had made an effort to recruit people as President, even assembling a committee of sorts consisting of a diverse group of people to do this. Considering what has transpired since, do you still believe that a larger population is possible to attain, but on a more sustainable basis through a series of actions that was not taken in either 2009/2010 or 2012/2013? If so, what would those actions be, specifically as it relates to activity standards, voter eligibility, candidate eligibity and the like, but also in other areas?

It seems like you are fishing for a particular answer, Yankee, and I'm not sure what it is.  I would say that my efforts as President were unsuccessful.  At the time, I advocated for off-site recruitment- a practice that is as unpopular now as it was then.  I have been pleased to see our population base increase- back in my days, we averaged about 140 registered voters, lately we have been seeing numbers in the 180s.  I want to enfranchise as many people as possible; higher participation makes the game more interesting and exciting.  At the same time, we do not want the voter list clogged with inactives who have lost interest and aren't coming back.  To that end, that is one reason why I oppose the current amendment- I believe it will disenfranchise voters who have NOT lost interest and do intend to vote again.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 07:27:37 AM »

Fritz,

It seems like you are fishing for a particular answer, Yankee, and I'm not sure what it is.  I would say that my efforts as President were unsuccessful.  At the time, I advocated for off-site recruitment- a practice that is as unpopular now as it was then.  I have been pleased to see our population base increase- back in my days, we averaged about 140 registered voters, lately we have been seeing numbers in the 180s.  I want to enfranchise as many people as possible; higher participation makes the game more interesting and exciting.  At the same time, we do not want the voter list clogged with inactives who have lost interest and aren't coming back.  To that end, that is one reason why I oppose the current amendment- I believe it will disenfranchise voters who have NOT lost interest and do intend to vote again.

I wasn't fishing for any particular answer for I would not know what such is if it were stated. If anyone has any novel thinking on the subject of what laws adn rules are best to advance a large, but more active population, it would be yourself. And I didn't even consider the Amendment opposition when forumulating the question. I remember you posting about the matter in the past and your work as President and thus I was curious if you had come up with a better arrangement for the these laws and standards to advance that objective.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

I wasn't trying to be critical, Yankee, and I hope I answered your question.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

I wasn't trying to be critical, Yankee, and I hope I answered your question.

Yes.

I have this sense that in both of those surges we just threw people in and little was done to try and ensure lasting activity and interest from them and thus they bled away.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »

Senators, a vote is now open on the confirmation of the nominee. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »

AYE
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P