I'm addicted to pop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm addicted to pop
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: I'm addicted to pop  (Read 11654 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

If people follow the life of a obese man from Oklahoma whose most interesting activity in life is watching 14 hours of sports on TV and eating grilled hamburgers, why wouldn't people be interested in this?

Indeed. Mark my words: this is the beginning of something great. Hopefully 2014 will bring us stories about something other than cheeseburgers and failure.
Also this thread could feature beer if things go well.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »

If people follow the life of a obese man from Oklahoma whose most interesting activity in life is watching 14 hours of sports on TV and eating grilled hamburgers, why wouldn't people be interested in this?

Indeed. Mark my words: this is the beginning of something great. Hopefully 2014 will bring us stories about something other than cheeseburgers and failure.

If we get into bourbon or martinis, let me know.  Wink
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »

Sip. Slowly.

If I bought a two litre bottle of pop (feels weird to say that again) I would drink the whole thing and quickly for two reasons. 1) I hate it when my pop gets warm or loses carbonation and 2) I have a compulsion to "finish" things. I cannot throw away some of the food on my plate - I feel bad if I do. My solution? Don't make as big a plate of food, and don't buy two litres of pop. Instead I'll buy a 24 pack, put one in the fridge, and just drink one can.

I can't relate exactly, though, I got out of the habit of drinking pop and got into a habit of drinking tap water because when you're stoned water is miraculous. Pop makes my throat feel phlegmy and gross.

Anyway, my best advice is to just sip your drink. You will learn to enjoy it if you're persistent.

Yeah I just need to resist the temptation to buy pop. If I bought a 12 pack I would drink like 8 cans in one day.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »

So you cared enough to post you don't care.
This is a bizarre thread. Just don't buy it. Physically don't hand over money in exchange for "pop".

Much easier said that done, just tell a alcoholic not to hand over money for alcohol. Ok it's not quite the same but still.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

So I had a cup of tea at church last night and rather enjoyed it. I took home another tea bag for today, which I just drank. Tea might be one of the possible replacements for pop. I'm going to buy some more tea at the store tomorrow. I buy black tea though I have tried green tea and I hated it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »

Noone. Cares.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

Yet you keep posting here

Also I forgot to ask any tea recommendations I would usually buy Lipton black tea. I have no idea about other teas.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »

Yet you keep posting here

Also I forgot to ask any tea recommendations I would usually buy Lipton black tea. I have no idea about other teas.

I keep begging you to stop.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

SoBe is nice.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

Again, the simple answer is that you need to stop buying soda and just stop drinking it entirely. 

Another way to instigate that change is to think about your long-term health.  Drinking 100oz of soda a day seems like a good way to become obese and get type 2 diabetes.  What's your overall health like now?  What does your GP say about your diet/weight/blood work?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »

Again, the simple answer is that you need to stop buying soda and just stop drinking it entirely. 

Another way to instigate that change is to think about your long-term health.  Drinking 100oz of soda a day seems like a good way to become obese and get type 2 diabetes.  What's your overall health like now?  What does your GP say about your diet/weight/blood work?

Yeah long term health is one reason why I want to stop drinking so much pop. I'm currently about 40 pounds overweight. Diabetes runs in my family and several family members have diabetes including my grandpa who is dead now but not due to diabetes, and the did live to be almost 91.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »

Ugh I just drank a large coke from McDonalds and really want to go buy a big two liter bottle but it is a bad bad idea. I should have bought tea at the store earlier.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »

Is this a planned spinoff of The Update that we weren't told about?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2013, 03:41:22 PM by Oakvale »

First of all, don't go to McDonalds. No wiggle room. Just commit "I will not set foot inside a McDonalds".

BTW, I'm not judging here - I know it can be difficult. My breakfast today consisted of a paper cup of crappy coffee and a Snickers bar.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »

When I gave up pop last year, I switched to diet lemonade.  After a while, I got so busy, I'd stop going out to buy more, so I switched to water.  By the end, I was drinking water almost any time I got thirsty instead of something else.  Would money be an incentive?  What did it for me was a bet.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

I decided to run up to the grocery store to buy tea instead of pop. I bought a pack of regular tea and a box of decaf tea if I want a cup later in the evening. Decaf tea you only get half as any bags as regular for the same price. I'm currently enjoying a cup of tea instead of the pop. Although I made this cup a little to weak.

I need to stop going to McDonalds it is just so convenient, I only order a McChicken, McDouble and a large coke all from the dollar menu, although the McDouble is now 1.19.

I'm going to try to only have one pop a day.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »

Oh dude, I love those Mcdoubles and Mcchickens. When I was in college, my roommate and I would go load up on them after drinking loads of beer. The good old days.

Why not drink diet soda? I am killing my liver with my addiction to diet coke, but at least it's not full of empty calories.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »

Oh dude, I love those Mcdoubles and Mcchickens. When I was in college, my roommate and I would go load up on them after drinking loads of beer. The good old days.

Why not drink diet soda? I am killing my liver with my addiction to diet coke, but at least it's not full of empty calories.

Yeah I would rather not drink pop than drink diet it tastes bad to me. I think I will try to keep drinking the black tea. I only had a large coke from McDonalds today. If I get rid of my excessive pop drinking my unhealthy snacking and candy consumption will be the next thing I work on.

Also anyone use those water enhancer stuff that you squirt into a cup or bottle of water, like Mio. They are no calorie, I have a kook aid brand one, tropical punch, they might be a option if I crave something very sweet. I tried switching to these but I got tried of the taste and it wasn't quite like pop sweetness.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2013, 10:10:59 PM by MilesC56 »

'Couldn't resist...

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »

Is this a planned spinoff of The Update that we weren't told about?

Get in on the ground floor now. I keep saying it: this is the future.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »

If we get into bourbon or martinis, let me know.  Wink
I'm sure Torie would ruin all of our fun before then.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

So I haven't had pop in two days now. Mostly because I have started a new job, and have to be up early. I don't plan on having any pop today. I did have two lemonades though yesterday at dinner. I may have a pop at lunch on some days since the caffeine will be gone by bedtime. I think if I cut my pop down like 75% if not more it will really help. I think I can have a drink while working too, but I will try to stick with water.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »

Good job! Cheesy
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »

Switch to bourbon. At least you'll enjoy yourself while you fight this addiction.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »

Congrats on the success! No headaches or major caffeine withdraws? The amounts you were drinking would make me think that your head would split in two going cold turkey. At least you should be over pretty much all of the withdraws at this point. With that being said:

So I haven't had pop in two days now. Mostly because I have started a new job, and have to be up early. I don't plan on having any pop today. I did have two lemonades though yesterday at dinner. I may have a pop at lunch on some days since the caffeine will be gone by bedtime. I think if I cut my pop down like 75% if not more it will really help. I think I can have a drink while working too, but I will try to stick with water.

The reason you are currently succeeding with a coke-free diet is because your circumstance/routine has changed enough to remove you from the standard triggers and usual situations in which you consume it. The classic addict's mindset is one of "Ha! See? I don't really need it, after all. So since I'm cured, I can have some as a non-addict" If you begin to re-incorporate this into your new daily routine this soon, it will surely begin to take over every facet of your day just as it did. If it becomes OK to drink a coke in the morning hours of work, then it'll soon be OK to do it in the evening hours of work, too. Drink a coke on the way to work and you'll soon be drinking another one on the way home from work. You need more than two or three days away from the stuff before you can healthily incorporate it back into your life. You can consume it again at some point, but you need to adapt to not desire it constantly before you do.

If you need the caffeine, either pay a premium for the unhealthy act and purchase a dense canned drink like a Red Bull ($3) or buy 100 caffeine pills ($5).  You could also get one of the various "energy in a bottle" supplements that they sell at convenience stores (Five Hour Energy works pretty well, but just have one; $4). Personally, I'd just go with the caffeine pills since they separate the caffeine rush from the act of consuming carbonated beverages entirely (and is hella cheap).

And what is "two lemonades"? Is that lemonade out of a can?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies