Your views on the War on Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:16:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your views on the War on Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So which is comparing the War on Drugs to a hypothetical War on Abortion
false equivalence
gospel truth
excessive hyperbole
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your views on the War on Abortion  (Read 1116 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Poll inspired by this post:

But let's continue to restrict abortion so that fewer abortions are attempted. Let's have a War on Abortion. After all, look at the War on Drugs. That worked out great.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »

Third option. While I support pro-life policies including banning abortion, I do recognize that if we're going to reduce the number of abortions, we can't ignore providing a decent safety net for children and preventing the need for abortions in the first place via education and birth control.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

Asinine hyperbole.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

Clearly hyperbole. Though he certainly does have a point IMO.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2013, 06:03:20 AM by DC Al Fine »

I think the demand for abortion is significantly more elastic than the demand for say heroin. False equivalency IMO.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »

There's no equivalence between the War on Drugs and efforts to outlaw abortions. Abortions would be fewer if the practice was reserved for instances of rape, incest, damaged fetuses, and threats to the mother's life. As for drugs, I don't know of anyone who chooses not to do drugs just because it's illegal. I support efforts to stop both with the exception of my view that marijuana should be legal.

Here is something interesting. I've been saying all along that the issue of abortion depends on how the question is asked.

Do you support a woman's right to choose?

Are you pro-life?

See how you want to say yes to both of the above questions. Now I'm going to reword the questions.

Do you support abortion?

Are you pro-abortion?

Notice how most people would say no to the above questions based on how they're worded.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:53:27 AM »

The equivalence is problematic because the illegality of drugs spurs people to try harder to get them due to the taboo factor. I doubt it being forbidden would make people want abortions more.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »

Option 3. Though if Roe were overruled (or even where Roe is not explicitly overruled but was relaxed to the point where states could effective end the practice without the clinics there being bankroled by some Hollywood kingpin) AND states that had like at least a third of the US population outlawed it (or made it impossible to get) and then their deputies and cops started trying to restrict travel and breaking into people houses and doing other blatantly illegal things to stop it and started to get away with it   OR if states with any majority of the US population just outright made it at least serious misdemeanor  then yes. There would be a "War on Abortion"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »

I misread this as "Your wives on the War on Abortion".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »

The equivalence is problematic because the illegality of drugs spurs people to try harder to get them due to the taboo factor. I doubt it being forbidden would make people want abortions more.

Is there any evidence that prohibition increases demand for recreational drugs? I frequently hear this argument, but no one seems able to show that this is the case.

Well, it doesn't seem to REDUCE demand.

Though, it would be interesting whether there were ever was a War on Abortion. When it was illegal, Was there much of a demand for them in the first place? Were the police able to stop/prevent most of them? Was there aggressive public policies against them? (PR campaigns, public crack downs, mandatory minimums, specific civilian and paramilitary/police task forces that targeted abortion),  and if there were "bad guys", was there a "pussy mob"?

Basically, was abortion in 1953 like drugs in 2003?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »

I hate wars
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

excessive hyperbole.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »

My point wasn't that illegalizing abortion will make people want it more. It was that it will have virtually no effect on people wanting it. They will simply try to get one in underhanded, illegal ways.

Illegal abortion is what gives you Kermit Gosnell. He had a captive market - girls coming to him from Virginia, North Carolina, other states because there was nowhere else that would perform the procedure. So the fact that he was treating them like pieces of meat in a slaughterhouse wasn't something they could do anything about. Instead of having a variety of abortion providers competing with one another for patients and having an incentive to provide clean, safe facilities and treatment, you had a monopolist "bootlegger" in the form of Dr. Gosnell.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »

My point wasn't that illegalizing abortion will make people want it more. It was that it will have virtually no effect on people wanting it. They will simply try to get one in underhanded, illegal ways.

Illegal abortion is what gives you Kermit Gosnell. He had a captive market - girls coming to him from Virginia, North Carolina, other states because there was nowhere else that would perform the procedure. So the fact that he was treating them like pieces of meat in a slaughterhouse wasn't something they could do anything about. Instead of having a variety of abortion providers competing with one another for patients and having an incentive to provide clean, safe facilities and treatment, you had a monopolist "bootlegger" in the form of Dr. Gosnell.

That fits into my question- If Abortions were made illegal in all or most circumstances in 5 years, would there be Breaking Bad or Scarface situation about 5 years after that?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »

Inseparable from the War on Feminism-Feminism being, of course, the radical idea that women are human beings deserving of equal rights and opportunities as men.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »

There's no equivalence between the War on Drugs and efforts to outlaw abortions. Abortions would be fewer if the practice was reserved for instances of rape, incest, damaged fetuses, and threats to the mother's life. As for drugs, I don't know of anyone who chooses not to do drugs just because it's illegal. I support efforts to stop both with the exception of my view that marijuana should be legal.

Here is something interesting. I've been saying all along that the issue of abortion depends on how the question is asked.

Do you support a woman's right to choose?
Yes
Are you pro-life?
No
See how you want to say yes to both of the above questions. Now I'm going to reword the questions.

Do you support abortion?
Yes
Are you pro-abortion?
Yes
Notice how most people would say no to the above questions based on how they're worded.

However, you need to know that many people are not pro abortion, they would never receive one, but they know they would respect and be okay with a woman having an abortion, but they will not get one. Those are two completely different questions, one says 'Would you support others getting an abortion?" and the other says "Would you get an abortion yourself?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies