Taxpayer Funded Animal Torture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Taxpayer Funded Animal Torture
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taxpayer Funded Animal Torture  (Read 424 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »

http://www.whitecoatwaste.com/2013/11/howl-o-weeen-13-terrifying-true-and-taxpayer-funded-torture-devices-found-in%E2%80%A8the-governments-animal-experimentation-laboratories/

Whenever I hear the big-government whores bitch and moan about how we can't cut a single thing from the federal budget, it makes me wonder if they're stupid or delusional.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »

I have a soft spot for animals as well, but pretending that research isn't valuable to the development of critical medical treatments (or is a large part of the federal budget) is ridiculous. Forgoing animal research means doing without the vaccines and therapies that save countless human lives each year. Universities also have very strict ethical standards for working with vertebrates. You can't just do whatever you want with lab animals.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

I have a soft spot for animals as well, but pretending that research isn't valuable to the development of critical medical treatments (or is a large part of the federal budget) is ridiculous. Forgoing animal research means doing without the vaccines and therapies that save countless human lives each year. Universities also have very strict ethical standards for working with vertebrates. You can't just do whatever you want with lab animals.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »

Agreed.  Yet, despite the protocols, there are experiments with little value, if any, that slip through the cracks.  A contributing, tho definitely not exculpating, factor is the climate of secrecy due to the fear of attacks from animal rights advocates upon both research facilities and researchers. It makes it harder to root out the problematic studies from those that can produce useful information.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

The University of Washington is considering a >$100 million subterranean animal torture compound in Seattle. It's the stuff of horror movies.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »

Whenever I hear the big-government whores bitch and moan about how we can't cut a single thing from the federal budget, it makes me wonder if they're stupid or delusional.

Ignorance should count too, given that the government appropriates money for thousands of purposes each year. In all the examples you provided I would gladly suspend all state funding, though I hope I won't have to hear any small-government manchildren whine and lament as folk like me demand criminalization of abusive forms of animal experimentation and private funding for such endeavors.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »

Animal abuse is horrible. Sad
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »

Oh, wow, that site doesn't even have a token acknowledgement that the people doing these sorts of tests are performing research.  How cute.

Anyway, the NSF (or some sort of other important funding-type agency) has agreed that primates deserve special protections, so a lot of that research is going to be phased out as time goes on.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »

I don't get what the point being made is. That $12 billion (less than 0.4% of the budget, by the way) should be cut from animal experimentation because of these specific things?

It leads me to believe there was a lot of cherry-picking involved, and it looks pretty desperate when they have to include bags, guillotines and treadmills. It's hard to take that seriously when they try to argue from an all-or-nothing emotional standpoint, and not whether there are specific projects that should be ended (or have the methodology revised) because the costs outweigh the benefit.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »

A team of Maryland scientists have made a breakthrough that could possibly end the need for animal testing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies