Immigration plan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:21:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration plan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigration plan  (Read 2445 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2013, 01:28:32 AM by SPC »

I had been considering making a post about immigration, I guess this provides me with an opportunity. I've been on the fence regarding the immigration issue for about a year now, with the temptation to defect from the libertarian plumb line on this matter. However, after careful consideration, one must acknowledge that, since the US currently has strict immigration laws, then any criticism of open borders would seem to illustrate the futility of enacting such laws. Steps like those that you advocate would only serve to turn the country into even more of a police state, which would most certaintly not limit its wrath to immigrants. I simply do not see a good solution to this issue, as elected officials have no incentive to actually solve the immigration issue since its existence empowers them.

The immigration issue is merely the consequence of the failures of other policies. Making immigration strict has ensured that the bulk of immigrants are impoverished and have little to lose by breaking the law, and also encourages them to bring their families with them rather than risk deportation by constantly sending their earnings back to their homeland. Similarly, demand for immigrant labor seems to originate primarily from their legal status (or lack thereof), since those that violated the law to come here are unlikely to report their employers for violating minimum wage laws or various other regulations that impede on contractual relationships between employers and employees. Birthright citizenship guarantees that those that came here uninvited will be able to reap the rewards of the welfare state and vote for politicians that promote its expansion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies