Gun Plan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:47:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Plan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gun Plan  (Read 5552 times)
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »

-Abolish all Gun Control laws.
-Legalization of every type of Firearm.
-Allow Concealed Carry.
-Protect Second Amendment rights.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »

- Have 2nd amendment protected, period.
 - Allow background checks, educate the population about gun safety, and require basic licenses and permits to carry guns around (Smart ways to lower gun violence).
 - No banning of any guns (besides ridiculous rocket launchers and whatnot)

This is pretty much it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »

Manchin-Toomey.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »

No restrictions upon the right to bear arms.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 02:16:40 AM »

I would like something like a European/highly regulated system akin to the UK.  Shooting guns is a fun activity, but the toll of human misery they cause is unconscionable. 
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:45:53 AM »

Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:41:44 AM »

This is one of those rare issues where I suppose I go a bit moderate hero and such. I'd go with this:

- All light weapons, small arms, their munitions, and accessories should be legal to posses and bear.
- These weapons should require passing safety/training courses and keeping proper licensing.
- Background checks are needed to block people afflicted with conditions impairing safe usage.
- Light weapon, small arm, ammo, and related accessory purchases should be reported to the state.
- Concealed carry is fine but let establishments and government entities forbid it on their properties.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 04:18:02 AM »

Ban all guns, including for the police.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »

I'd be satisfied if the absolute constitutional right to bear arms were abolished. That's not the same thing as banning them (even though I'm somewhat sympathetic to that as well, but there are legitimate arguments for owning a weapon...say....in Alaska.)

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

I have no interest in owning guns and don't care if other people do so I leave the issue to other people.  it's one of those 'wedge issues' like gay marriage/abortion designed to elicit powerful reactions from people on either of two sides and thus push issues of class and economics outside of the political sphere.  that said I would have voted with the dissent in DC vs Heller and think the decision was a bit ridiculous, but, NBD in the scheme of things.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »

-Allow Concealed Carry.

This would lead to many more mass shootings, you do realize that letting military styled weapons and letting those who are not mentally stable AKA a sociopath that wants to kill everything in his path would be devastating. And without some of those gun control laws we would have many more preventable deaths. Murderers who were let free and criminals should not have access to guns.

Anyway....

-Expand gun control laws
-Universal background checks necessary
-Military rifles, automatic guns,
ridiculous rocket launchers and whatnot
banned from public
-Test to make sure person is capable to own a gun (not blind)
-Test before all gun sales that checks the mental health of an individual
-Convicted criminals with a felony will never be able to own guns
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2013, 09:37:37 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

-Allow Concealed Carry.

If you support this, why do the Republicans are so worried with Iran having nuclear weapons?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »

I'd be satisfied if the absolute constitutional right to bear arms were abolished. That's not the same thing as banning them (even though I'm somewhat sympathetic to that as well, but there are legitimate arguments for owning a weapon...say....in Alaska.)

I would agree with this. The right to bear arms doesn't mean what it meant in the 1700's. I support banning conceal carry and assault weapons, as well as requiring Universal Background Checks for all gun sales.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »

I'm moving more toward this position. I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about this and I'm starting to look at gun ownership with less disapproval than I did. I still stand for background checks and I still don't think anyone needs to own assault rifles or any of that jazz but yeah
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »

Machine Guns:

Restricts the transfer and possession of machine guns except for “transfers to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision.

The ATF can authorize the transfer of a machine gun to an unlicensed civilian.

An unlicensed individual may acquire machine guns, with ATF approval, from its lawful owner residing in the same state as the individual.

The transferor must file an ATF application, which must be completed by both parties to the transfer and executed under penalties of perjury, and pay a $200 transfer tax to ATF.

Application to include detailed information on the firearm and the parties involved in the transfer.

Those receiving a machine gun through transfer must certify that they are not disqualified from possessing firearms.

Someone receiving a machine gun through transfer must submit two photographs taken within the last year, fingerprints, and a copy of a permit required to possess a machine gun.

Also must certify that machine gun will be used only for lawful purposes.

Anyone acquiring a machine gun must, as part of the registration process, pass an extensive Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background investigation.

ATF must refund the $200 tax if application is denied.

Gun owners must keep approved applications as evidence of registration of the firearms and make them available for inspection by ATF officers.

Registry Prohibition:

Multiple Sales Reports
Suspect Guns- guns suspected of criminal use but not collected
Traced Guns
Out of Business Records
Theft Guns- reported as stolen by the ATF

Disqualified Individuals:

those who have served more than a year in prison
fugitives from the law
anyone currently addicted to a controlled substance
illegal citizens
those with mental illnesses who have been involuntarily admitted for treatment
dishonorable discharge from the military
No selling of guns to those who have renounced U.S. citizenship.
felons
convicts of domestic violence against a spouse or child
anyone with a court order restraining them from an intimate partner or child

Places of Possession:

Keep general cross-state standard for concealed carry.
Allow guns in Washington D.C. with no trigger lock requirement.
Allow for open carry outside of cities with exception of legal officials.
Guns must be kept in a locker room at courthouses.
No guns on or near schools and churches.

Sales Procedures:

Mandatory background checks for gun purchases.
Background checks may take no longer than three days.
Proof of previous background checks maybe used for later purchases.
One day waiting period for purchase of a firearm.
Require 12 hour training class before allowing open carry.
Magazines holding more than 31 rounds considered as automatic firearms.
No requirement that guns be sold with trigger locks.
Protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits from gun misuse.

Licenses and Private Sales:

Require license to purchase valid for 3 years.
Allow guns to be traded between dealers and private citizens.
No license needed if trading a gun.
No license needed for purchasing a firearm of more than 50 years of age.
Guns considered as collectors items not subject to license.
No license required for veterans to purchase a gun.

Firearms in Vehicles:

1. In a closed package, box, or case.
2. In a compartment that can only be reached by leaving the vehicle.
3. In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder.
4. Must be unloaded.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

I'm moving more toward this position. I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about this and I'm starting to look at gun ownership with less disapproval than I did. I still stand for background checks and I still don't think anyone needs to own assault rifles or any of that jazz but yeah

What reading have you done? I haven't seen anything that says that gun ownership makes sense, except for a very, very few instances.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »

Ban all guns, including for the police.

I respect your opinion, but how about a realistic gun plan, such as banning assault weapons, background checks of buyers, etc?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

I totally don't understand why otherwise sane people still want to ban "assault rifles" and why anybody thinks the existing laws on automatic weapons are too loose.  Even BRTD knows "assault weapon" bans are stupid and pointless and only one civilian and one cop have used a legal automatic weapon to commit a crime since 1934.

I'm for background checks on gun purchasers and for strengthening the laws against straw purchases.  Ya know, things that would actually help.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »

I totally don't understand why otherwise sane people still want to ban "assault rifles" and why anybody thinks the existing laws on automatic weapons are too loose.  Even BRTD knows "assault weapon" bans are stupid and pointless and only one civilian and one cop have used a legal automatic weapon to commit a crime since 1934.

I'm for background checks on gun purchasers and for strengthening the laws against straw purchases.  Ya know, things that would actually help.

^^^^^

This.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

Because the underlined is absurd to any reasonable person.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »

What reading have you done? I haven't seen anything that says that gun ownership makes sense, except for a very, very few instances.

Mostly articles posted on Facebook from both left and right wing blogs and whatnot. I'm looking at gun ownership as a hobby, the same way that building model airplanes is a hobby. The fact of the matter is that a majority of gun owners aren't violent about it, they just own weapons. Is gun violence unfortunate? Yes. But it's very hard to actually prevent it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »

Mostly articles posted on Facebook from both left and right wing blogs and whatnot. I'm looking at gun ownership as a hobby, the same way that building model airplanes is a hobby. The fact of the matter is that a majority of gun owners aren't violent about it, they just own weapons. Is gun violence unfortunate? Yes. But it's very hard to actually prevent it.

If 30,000 people were killed by model airplanes last year, nobody would shrug their shoulders and give up on trying to create sensible regulations.  And honestly, there is a balancing act between allowing people to pursue a hobby and the survival of 30,000 people every year.  But, I would submit that life is precious and hobbies are less so.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »

If 30,000 people were killed by model airplanes last year, nobody would shrug their shoulders and give up on trying to create sensible regulations.  And honestly, there is a balancing act between allowing people to pursue a hobby and the survival of 30,000 people every year.  But, I would submit that life is precious and hobbies are less so.
Is that statistic for people killed by all firearms, or just legally owned ones?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Is that statistic for people killed by all firearms, or just legally owned ones?

That's about the number of people killed by all firearms per year.  I don't understand what distinction you're trying to make.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »

That's about the number of people killed by all firearms per year.  I don't understand what distinction you're trying to make.
What I was wondering was whether or not a portion of those deaths caused by firearms that, under current laws, were already illegal for the killer to own/were possessed illegally. You just answered my question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies