2nd Amendment group uses assault rifles to intimidate gun control supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:48:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2nd Amendment group uses assault rifles to intimidate gun control supporters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2nd Amendment group uses assault rifles to intimidate gun control supporters  (Read 2307 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/us/a-face-off-outside-dallas-in-the-escalating-battle-over-texas-gun-culture.html?smid=tw-share

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »

Ok, a peaceful counter protest.  So what?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

I do hope you're being facetious. Most peaceful protests don't involve intimidating unarmed women with assault rifles.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »

I do hope you're being facetious. Most peaceful protests don't involve intimidating unarmed women with assault rifles.

I do hope you're being facetious. Or is it impossible to rally in support of open carry laws without being intimidating?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2013, 10:46:55 AM by Gramps »

Ok, a peaceful counter protest.  So what?

Somehwhat facetious.  The ladies would like outlaw OCT and open carry everywhere, so where do they go to eat and meet......yep, right in the heart of OCT land!!  WooHOO!  Why did they meet there?  To piss the OCT crowd off.  OCT's response was pefectly legal.  Lots of police on hand to watch it all go down too.  What would you have them do, sit around knitting or carry signs with guns painted on them?   Maybe the ladies  need to find a better place than this for mess call.  Causing any real trouble would have been the worst thing OCT could have done......and after their point was made, they went home.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »

Power to the people.

I wonder what criteria these authoritarian gun grabbers use to identify 'AK-47s' from a distance.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »

I do hope you're being facetious. Or is it impossible to rally in support of open carry laws without being intimidating?

Most reasonable people would argue that openly carrying a firearm in public is, by its very nature, intimidating. One can be acting perfectly within the law and still be intimidating, as is the case here.

The main issue I have with these people is that they think the fact that something isn't explicitly illegal implies that it is proper to do and should be embraced and celebrated by society. Is it legal to walk around with a rifle in public? Yes. Does that mean people should walk around with rifles in public? Absolutely not. So if these people want to do this, it's within their right, but they don't have a right to have everyone else not think they're a bunch of whacko-birds.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

Most reasonable people would argue that openly carrying a firearm in public is, by its very nature, intimidating. One can be acting perfectly within the law and still be intimidating, as is the case here.

The main issue I have with these people is that they think the fact that something isn't explicitly illegal implies that it is proper to do and should be embraced and celebrated by society. Is it legal to walk around with a rifle in public? Yes. Does that mean people should walk around with rifles in public? Absolutely not. So if these people want to do this, it's within their right, but they don't have a right to have everyone else not think they're a bunch of whacko-birds.

Sure, I agree, but they do have a right to a peaceful counter protest.  Not even a citation was issued.  All peaceful, all legal.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »

Most reasonable people would argue that openly carrying a firearm in public is, by its very nature, intimidating.

Depends on how you're carrying it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2013, 03:52:36 PM by Beet »

Moms = givers, nurturers and sustainers of life
Guns = instruments of death, invented by the Chinese*

It's clear which of these two clearly opposed sides I am on.

* While the Chinese are, in general, a great peoples, the gun is one of their more unfortunate technologies that we have copied. (One day they may say the same about the knock-off iPhones they copy from us!)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

Most reasonable people would argue that openly carrying a firearm in public is, by its very nature, intimidating.

No it doesn't. When you keep a deadly weapon on your person and it is visible to others, you are sending the message to them that, "I could kill you if I wanted to." If that's not intimidating, I don't know what is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »

Power to the people.

I wonder what criteria these authoritarian gun grabbers use to identify 'AK-47s' from a distance.
It has a shoulder thing, that goes up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »

No it doesn't. When you keep a deadly weapon on your person and it is visible to others, you are sending the message to them that, "I could kill you if I wanted to." If that's not intimidating, I don't know what is.

Exactly. I feel uneasy walking past a policeman even in full uniform in D.C.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »

I don't know - is it impossible to rally in support of

Somehwhat facetious.  The ladies would like outlaw OCT and open carry everywhere, so where do they go to eat and meet......yep, right in the heart of OCT land!!  WooHOO!  Why did they meet there?  To piss the OCT crowd off.  OCT's response was pefectly legal.  Lots of police on hand to watch it all go down too.  What would you have them do, sit around knitting or carry signs with guns painted on them?  Maybe the ladies  need to find a better place than this for mess call.  Causing any real trouble would have been the worst thing OCT could have done

1. Protests generally take place in some area that is relevant to what is being protested. That's not unusual. However, the moms in this case weren't going anywhere to piss anyone off - they were having a private meeting at a restaurant, not a protest or a rally. They were not looking for public exposure at the time. As to their choice of location, did it occur to you that perhaps they live in the area? I doubt they came in from out of state just to have a meet and eat.
2. Yes, I would actually think carrying signs would have been appropriate. With guns on them? Maybe, maybe not, but carrying signs stating what you support or what you're against is a rather traditional part of protesting. It certainly would have been a lot less idiotic.

Actually they went to Hooters.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »

Total FF's. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

that'll teach those four women to sit down and talk
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »

It does depend on who is carrying it. Certain people shouldn't be allowed to possess guns. I've listed this on a recent gun thread in the political debate forums.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »

You don't then.  Intimidation would be sending the message "I could kill you and I want to."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »

You don't then.  Intimidation would be sending the message "I could kill you and I want to."

No, that would be a threat. Literally, intimidate means "to make timid", presumably through a show of force.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »

I can't even believe this. Not gonna spout an opinion about guns either way because I'm evolving myself but I seriously cannot believe that A. people actually did this and B. some people on this website are defending them. It's not threatening to see someone just walking around with an assault rifle? Yeah, okay.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »

A peaceful counter-protest. How offensive. Roll Eyes
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2013, 04:50:03 PM by Fmr. V.P. DemPGH »

If Texas actually seceded I'm one of those who hates to think what it would become, and what would happen to a majority of folks who would just as soon live in peace. This sounds like a posse that interrupted a meeting with intent to intimidate or possibly endanger. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »

If Texas actually seceded I'm one of those who hates to think what it would become, and what would happen to a majority of folks who would just as soon live in peace. This sounds like a posse that interrupted a meeting with intent to intimidate or possibly endanger. 

If Texas seceded a majority of the state would suddenly vote for Democrats because we'd lose Social Security, Medicare, etc. and the new country would need to set up entitlements of its own, which the Republicans surely wouldn't do.

Millions of Texans who don't want to secede would seek asylum in the U.S.

There would be economic repercussions for both Texas and the U.S., as Texas is the 14th largest economy in the world (in 2012).

Many of the businesses that have moved to TX would have to decide to stay in the new nation or move to U.S. territory.

It would be a huge mess.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »

No, that would be a threat. Literally, intimidate means "to make timid", presumably through a show of force.

To me, it reached the threat stage when you send the message "I could kill you and I will. (And your little dog too!)"
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »

What did the OC advocates actually do? Sounds to me like they just stood in the parking lot, protested a bit, and then left. I mean, if they actually entered the restaurant and said something like, "Y'all better watch out" then there'd be a problem, but as the article describes it I don't really see one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies