What are you invested in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:52:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What are you invested in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What are you invested in?  (Read 4906 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »

About half of Americans own stock, for the record. So let's drop the 1% nonsense on that issue.

Nonsense.  Less than 1% own any significant amount.  Your claim is absurd on its face - like saying 'poverty isn't a problem, because I know for a fact that poor people have dollar bills in their pockets'.
Not only this, but most of the peasants who own one month's wages in a 401(k) (on which they are supposed to retire?) are older, and became employed back when jobs at least pretended to offer "retirement plans." What's the average age of Atlas Forum investors?

Torie is 62, Jachind is 41, and I'm 20. Are we missing anyone?

That rich kid, what's his name, Dukie.
Don't forget the smug Swede and bereft Beet.

That's right!  The insufferable Gustaf and the nonentity Beet.

We've a whole raft of guillotine worthies.

Didn't you say you owned motorcycles in another thread? Another hypocritical capitalist owner living off your wealth. I've just got the answer:

Motorcycles are toys, not investments. Much like cars, they cost money to maintain and depreciate quickly as they age. I also doubt opebo would make the effort to own more than one.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »

About half of Americans own stock, for the record. So let's drop the 1% nonsense on that issue.

Nonsense.  Less than 1% own any significant amount.  Your claim is absurd on its face - like saying 'poverty isn't a problem, because I know for a fact that poor people have dollar bills in their pockets'.
Not only this, but most of the peasants who own one month's wages in a 401(k) (on which they are supposed to retire?) are older, and became employed back when jobs at least pretended to offer "retirement plans." What's the average age of Atlas Forum investors?

That's right!  The insufferable Gustaf and the nonentity Beet.

We've a whole raft of guillotine worthies.

Didn't you say you owned motorcycles in another thread? Another hypocritical capitalist owner living off your wealth. I've just got the answer:

Motorcycles are toys, not investments. Much like cars, they cost money to maintain and depreciate quickly as they age. I also doubt opebo would make the effort to own more than one.

He said he owns several old ones and rents them out.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 03:44:17 AM »

It is quite true that I am a capitalist.  I also wear spectacles, though I do not speak French.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »

It is quite true that I am a capitalist.  I also wear spectacles, though I do not speak French.

So the guillotine for you as well?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

Just because I have demonstrated that you were wrong about things doesn't make me anymore smug than reality.

Opebo, just because you spout some nonsense you aren't really rebutting anything I said. I get that for someone as privileged as you a 'significant amount' is a lot of money but I'm sure those people care about their investments. Which is what the thread was about.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »

Opebo, just because you spout some nonsense you aren't really rebutting anything I said. I get that for someone as privileged as you a 'significant amount' is a lot of money but I'm sure those people care about their investments. Which is what the thread was about.

I suppose our disputation hinges upon the definition of 'investment'.  If the pittance these poors have in stock is an 'investment', I suppose I'm quite the investor with my thousand or two dollars in the bank and real tycoon with my ten old bikes.

But even with this minimalistic idea of 'investment' we can't avoid the obvious fact - America is a society of extreme inequality and the great majority of investment capital is controlled by a tiny elite.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »

Mutual funds have such high management fees that they make no sense to invest in unless they're part of a 401(k) plan that your employer is matching. If you're just investing on your own, the expense ratios for ETFs are far more reasonable.

Index funds.  I like Vanguard.  I'm in total market and the long term bond fund.  They have low expense ratios.

Long term bond fund, Lief?  Not worried about interest rates going up? I avoid anything but short durations like the plague myself.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »

Just because I have demonstrated that you were wrong about things doesn't make me anymore smug than reality.

In the several years that I have been a member of this forum, you have done no such thing. Your feeble strategy of shrill name calling has demonstrated nothing other than your supremely deficient character. The Forum would be a far better place without your presence, and you are the only active member for whom this is true.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »

In the several years that I have been a member of this forum, you have done no such thing. Your feeble strategy of shrill name calling has demonstrated nothing other than your supremely deficient character. The Forum would be a far better place without your presence, and you are the only active member for whom this is true.

To whom were you referring  again? I mean I thought ... Torie, stop it please, please stop! [insert crying symbol here]. 

The "only" active member? I'm hurt!  Sad

Sorry, folks, the impulse was irresistible. I am but a flawed, sinning, defective, hubristic human being. Pray for me.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »

Large-cap value stocks including IBM and Chevron. I generally follow the Warren Buffett/Benjamin Graham school of investing.

Identical to mine.  Dividend yielding large cap.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies