Winning scenarios for Grimes and Nunn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:27:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Winning scenarios for Grimes and Nunn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winning scenarios for Grimes and Nunn  (Read 657 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

Based off this thread.  Where in their respective states do they need to compete, which counties do they need to flip, and what do the maps need to look like overall for a comfortable win for both of them?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »

Based off this thread.  Where in their respective states do they need to compete, which counties do they need to flip, and what do the maps need to look like overall for a comfortable win for both of them?

Grimes wins Greater Louisville and Covington but must make inroads into rural areas. That will be tough if the Republicans link her to President Obama. Kentucky is very rural.

Nunn must win Greater Atlanta, but Georgia has Greater Atlanta. She must pick up some suburban support and do well in Athens and Savannah.

Senate races in Georgia and Kentucky are for the Republicans to lose with something so crass as the trivialization of rape. 
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »

I don't think Nunn can win statewide without carrying Cobb and Gwinnett.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:23:29 AM »

Grimes probably looks like Beshear/Conway/ect. winning map.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:47:49 AM »

I think 2008 would be a good baseline for Grimes. It wouldn't be as accurate to compare a Senate race to a statewide race in a state like KY. If we could get the 2008 Senate race broken down by CD, I think that would be helpful.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:14 AM »

^She would do worse in eastern KY though, due to the Republican trend there.  To make up for that she would have to improve around Louisville and Lexington.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:42:15 AM »

^She would do worse in eastern KY though, due to the Republican trend there.  To make up for that she would have to improve around Louisville and Lexington.

Would eastern KY really break much against a good local Democrat in a good Democratic year?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:45:43 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2013, 03:01:15 AM by Speaker Scott »

For reference...

Kentucky, 2008 - Senate

Georgia, 2008 - Senate

Looks to me that Grimes would need to do significantly better along the western portion of the state and Nunn would have to flip at least a handful of counties in southeast GA.  I don't see north GA swinging Dem any time soon.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:15:50 AM »

I don't think Nunn can win statewide without carrying Cobb and Gwinnett.

She could pull it off, but both counties would need to be close. Nunn's strength is going to come from whittling away at the Republican totals statewide and hopefully cobbling enough together to hit 50% + 1 (because GA has run-offs and she loses in a run-off).

Nunn would have to flip at least a handful of counties in southeast GA.  I don't see north GA swinging Dem any time soon.

She will; I expect there to be some substantial swings in central and southern Georgia. The only problem is that outside of Muscogee, Bibb, Chatham and Richmond, this half of the state is pretty desolate (~20% of the population). Compared to 2010, I would expect her to be able to shrink the margins to 2008/Martin levels in many north Georgia counties (she's not black, after all), and that frankly is enough to put her in contention if she pulls it together throughout the remainder of the state. She has a shot of breaking 40% in the sparsely remaining old Democratic bastions in the north like Chattooga; I'll be looking at counties like that as soon as the polls close on Election Night to see whether or not rural support is where it needs to be in order to win.

Here's a uniform swing, winning scenario for Nunn that I did about a month ago:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies