Median Household Income by Race & State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:37:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Median Household Income by Race & State
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Median Household Income by Race & State  (Read 1326 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2016, 02:30:55 PM by President Griffin »

Racial disparities in median household income remain enormous in most states

I'll try to get around to the other three in the next day or so (or maybe one of you guys can help make them, too?). Data is from 2009 and the maps below shows median household income by state and by race.

The lowest median household income for whites was in WV ($37,894) and the highest was in DC ($104,201); the second highest was MD ($77,187). On the white map, I stopped the gradient at $79k so as not to leave a huge portion of unused color and to illustrate smaller variances more clearly.

The lowest median household income for blacks was in ND ($20,275) and the highest was in MD ($54,096).

White:

Black:

Hispanic:

Asian:

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:23 AM »

Higher income seems to reflect inflation.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:17 AM »

Higher income seems to reflect inflation.

Can you elaborate?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »

Yes with higher wages comes higher prices and the process continues. A dollar in New York or Maryland isn't worth as much as it would be in Alaska, Wyoming, or North Dakota. There is a higher cost of living in more attractive places too which in turn creates a demand for higher wages. It goes both ways.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »

Yes with higher wages comes higher prices and the process continues. A dollar in New York or Maryland isn't worth as much as it would be in Alaska, Wyoming, or North Dakota. There is a higher cost of living in more attractive places too which in turn creates a demand for higher wages. It goes both ways.

Higher income correlates to higher cost of living.  Alaska actually has a high cost of living, and if you're working the oil fields in ND, there's a much higher COLA than if you live in Fargo.  In VA, NoVa is like Maryland, SW Va is like WV.  Even in WV the East Panhandle has higher incomes and higher Cola than the rest of the state.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2013, 02:09:58 PM by opebo »

No, the dollar is worth the same in either place, it is just that things (mainly the land/real estate/buildings) are worth more in a place where people want to be.  Basically most states are rather worthless.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »

I know we're dealing with very small populations here, but why is the black man in ND so poor and the black man in Montana making so much bank.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »

I know we're dealing with very small populations here, but why is the black man in ND so poor and the black man in Montana making so much bank.

The small black population in MT is concentrated in the uni towns, especially Bozeman, so the salaries probably reflect that connection. The ND population is twice as large and half is in Fargo, far more than would be connected with higher ed. I expect that the income reflects more service jobs and is much lower.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »

Here are Hispanic and Asian average household incomes maps as well. I promise to clean these maps up shortly and use a more uniform gradient between them to illustrate the differences between races as part of a multi-map image. I'm also working on correlating this data to states' costs of living to effectively show where each average household has the highest and lowest standards of living.

Hispanic:

Asian:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »

It's interesting that the incomes for Asians on the eastern seaboard seem to be higher.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:40 AM »

I'd imagine the sample sizes are so small that you can get sort of extreme outcomes like that.

I've also heard that the drilling outfits up in the Bakken can be extremely discriminatory in their hiring practices (not explicitly, of course). Basically, if you're a white guy, you can be sealing wells and whatnot and making income in the six figures. If you're a black guy and you go up there, they're going to hand you a vest and some reflective flags and have you direct the trucks in and out of the site for maybe $30K a year.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »

I'd imagine the sample sizes are so small that you can get sort of extreme outcomes like that.

I've also heard that the drilling outfits up in the Bakken can be extremely discriminatory in their hiring practices (not explicitly, of course). Basically, if you're a white guy, you can be sealing wells and whatnot and making income in the six figures. If you're a black guy and you go up there, they're going to hand you a vest and some reflective flags and have you direct the trucks in and out of the site for maybe $30K a year.

Well, the data the maps above are  based on is 2009, before the Bakken got going.  A current map of county incomes in ND would probably look ridiculous. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 12:02:53 AM »

Very interesting statistics, especially the income gap in DC.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »

I know that neither population is particularly numerous, but it appears that Vermont blacks make more than Vermont Asians. NJ Asians make a LOT more than Vermont Asians.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »

Updated:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

The Asian number is inflated relative to Blacks and Whites.  One, Asians tend to live in higher price level areas.  Two, Asian household size are larger than other races which in terms mean Asians households are more likley to be two income households relative to other races.  

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies