Is Barack Obama's personality crippling his presidency? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:48:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Barack Obama's personality crippling his presidency? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Barack Obama's personality crippling his presidency?  (Read 6151 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: November 17, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »

My GOD Sanchez!

So much wrong, so many better things to do than refute every-single-one-of-them...

However, I will say that the suggestion that Obama could 'drive-through' single-payer just by sheer will a la Johnson, is beyond ludicrous. When you have 'just' enough of your own party to get a watered-down version through the house and even then just cross the filibuster threshold in the Senate... do you really, REALLY think that Obama could have 'shocked' the Congress into passing single-payer?

If you do? Then your grasp on modern politics needs to be seriously re-assessed. The GOP of 2010-13 makes the Dixiecrats look like Rockefeller Republicans.

Obama clearly hates 'politics' but likes policy, which is basically a polar-reversal to what people expected. The glad-handing, emotional manipulation and 'begging' that comes with it clearly makes him deeply uncomfortable, but he KNOWS he needs to do it, to get the policy done. Funnily, Hillary Clinton is the same and I think Romney too. There are VERY few, who have the pathology required to be a Clinton or a Reagan. In fact the the 'grin and bear it' nature of presidential politics, is by FAR the more common personality presented.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 08:32:12 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

I am aware that the votes didn't exist. You make them exist. And if you can't get the renovations, you might as well burn the damn house down.

OK, I'm pretty sure you're just trolling us all now.  Obama should've used his dictatorial powers or else ESP to force dozens of Senators and Representatives into voting for single-payer, despite them having never given any indication that they would, and even though it took SO much wrangling just to get Obamacare.

This is how I know you cannot be serious.

No President can MAKE votes appear, Johnson had two things going for him, he was a master of the Senate and had massive good-will in the aftermath of Kennedy's death to get those things done.

I love this idea, Johnson NEVER threatened to burn the place down, sure he pushed and intimidated people into it and do I think Johnson could do it now? Not a chance. Plus Johnson didn't do it all himself. He had Hubert Humphrey who was the real internal driving force for the Civil Rights Bill for example. HHH had a hell of time keeping the votes in line...

Obama's personality is different, he's not Johnson, he's not comfortable trying to intimidate people, he's not going to whip his dick out when he needs to make a point... so in some ways I agree with the idea that Obama's personality being more considered and seeking agreement through logic and evidence makes it difficult to deal with the mouth-breathers and cousin-humpers that make up the GOP base today...

I know you're saying we're not reading what you're writing... but we are, the premise is wrong, therefore the conclusion is wrong. The long and short of it is this... Obama is not Johnson, the Congress is even more ideological and divided than it was in 1964/5... I have no faith that a human iron bar like LBJ could get anything passed today.

The ACA will be popular in 2016... and watch the GOP fall in line behind it. The hyperbole over this is a joke... "it's a failure!!!" Actually it's not... for a large-scale government program roll-out requiring online cooperation from all states... it's actually gone pretty bloody well. The Government needs to address those who have (more than likely) been kicked off their insurance under false pretenses. There will always been teething problems and there have been, but in the end, more people who need it have access to healthcare and anyone who knows anything about healthcare policy will tell you that access is the key.

Plus, those systems dealing with supportive states like NJ, KY, IL, OR are actually going well, what's causing more headaches are the states that are not only not on-board but are actively trying to pull it down...

The fact that Obama is considered by you as having achieved nothing is just a sign of your blinkered view of things, not evidence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies