Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:57:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: Quebec Municipal Elections 2013  (Read 25366 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 11, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

Right. I guess Montreal was fine then? I did notice one minor change on my outline map, but that may have been a map error on my part. Also, I hope Laval was fine, because I used the 2013 map to make the 2009 map.

BTW, if you can find any more mayoral results by district, let me know. I've been compiling my maps here: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2013/11/quebec-municipal-election-results.html
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #276 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »

Because there is a recount in Saint-Jacques (Bergeron's district), Bergeron can't sit yet in the council and Émilie Thuillier, city councillor for Ahuntsic has been appointed interim opposition leader in Montréal. Another possible leadership contender?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »

So, they have to do a boundary review every 4 years? Wow. Fun, but hard to look for old election maps.

They might. If the current map is still legal, they can keep it (as my city did this time).

My city kept the same map too. When there was the public notice in the local paper, I sent a letter of opposition to it. I imagine I was the only person doing it. It required 100 people against to not get it adopted right away. I wanted the city to redraw districts because one was 20% over the mean. The limit in the law for a town below 20,000 of population is a variation of 25% from the mean. I was legal but I would have prefered more equal districts and closer to 15% of variance from the mean.

For towns over 20,000 people, the limit acceptable is a variation 15% from the mean. Even then, it doesn't seem very strict. I've read in Saguenay 14 of the 19 districts are over or under the 15% limit. When Saguenay was created by merging different towns, the districts were drawn to respect the different parts of the new city. The map was approved by the department of municipal affairs and approved since then when the city asked to continue using the same map.

I have the feeling towns don't like to change their districts and will do it only when they are forced to by the legal limit.

For the Montreal map, there were only two changes. The limit between Loyola and NDG and the limit between Saint-Marie and Saint-Jacques districts.

Laval also had to made some changes. I expect the map in four years could show more major changes because I count 8 districts out of 21 in the 2013 map that are at plus or minus 13 or 14% from the mean, so many districts are already on the edge.     
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »

It's an interesting law, and one I think I can support, as long as there is a generous deviation, where few districts are altered each time. It seems that Gatineau has had significant differences each time.

I don't even know if there is a law in Ontario. Toronto has had their wards for over a decade. Ottawa has had our boundaries since 2006.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »

It's an interesting law, and one I think I can support, as long as there is a generous deviation, where few districts are altered each time. It seems that Gatineau has had significant differences each time.

I don't even know if there is a law in Ontario. Toronto has had their wards for over a decade. Ottawa has had our boundaries since 2006.

Cities have to publish the map in newspapers (or publish the old map and saying there is no change). People can object. If enough people object, Elections Quebec hold an hearing. They can do two things. They can keep the map or they can throw it out. If they throw it out, it's Elections Quebec which draw the map, not the city. Also, Elections Quebec draw the map if the city hasn't submitted a map in the legal delays (if the city is warded, some small cities and villages decided to not be warded). It's mandatory for cities over 20000, optionnal for other ones.

253 municipalities are using districts, on the roughly 1100 in Quebec. For last election, Election Quebec had to involve in 7 cities. http://www.dgeq.qc.ca/english/municipal/electoral-map/cre-decisions-2012-2013.php

Failure to adopt a map: Ange-Gardien (suburb east of Quebec City)

Hearings, map was kept: L'Ancienne-Lorette (demerged city enclaved into Quebec City), Lavaltrie (Montreal suburb in Lanaudière, on St. Lawrence shores) and Brownsburg-Chatham (in Argenteuil, near Lachute and Hawkesbury, ON).

Hearings, Elections Quebec drew a new map: Rouyn-Noranda (biggest city in Abitibi-Témiscamingue), Brossard (South Shore Montreal suburb, demerged from Longueuil) and Saint-Germain-de-Grantham (suburb of Drummondville)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »

Montreal Saint-Jacques district recount will be tomorrow. There will not be a recount in Saint-Sulpice, Projet Montreal's lawyer did not submit a document on time (?!). I don't think a recount was asked for Côte-des-Neiges district or the Sud-Ouest mayor.

I've read Russell Copeman was invited to be on executive committee. After the election Réal Ménard said he would not join another party but was open to a city position.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »

Montreal Saint-Jacques district recount will be tomorrow. There will not be a recount in Saint-Sulpice, Projet Montreal's lawyer did not submit a document on time (?!). I don't think a recount was asked for Côte-des-Neiges district or the Sud-Ouest mayor.

I've read Russell Copeman was invited to be on executive committee. After the election Réal Ménard said he would not join another party but was open to a city position.

Bergeron wins Saint-Jacques by 36 votes
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »

No change of winners after most recounts (I think Saint-Léonard is still left to recount). Lorraine Pagé won by 1 vote at the recount.

Russell Copeman and Réal Ménard (elected under Coalition Montréal) are part of the executive committee. Marcel Côté will be a paid adviser for 1$. So it seems people in Coalition and Coderre want to work together.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »

Vision Montreal is official dead
http://quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/14/vision-montreal-dissolution-louise-harel_n_4964760.html?utm_hp_ref=politique
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

Wasn't it already?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies