South Australian Parliamentary Elections Thread (March 15, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:08:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  South Australian Parliamentary Elections Thread (March 15, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Australian Parliamentary Elections Thread (March 15, 2014)  (Read 15404 times)
Hifly
hifly15

« on: December 23, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »

Labor can hold government with a result like that!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:47:45 AM »

Are there any prominent Ministers or high-profile Labor members who are perceived to be at major risk of losing their electorates this election? And who would be poised to lead the party into opposition in the event of a loss?

Cabinet minister Tom Kenyon holds a very marginal seat and is at great risk of losing it. You probably wouldn't like the guy:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/mp-slammed-for-same-sex-swipe-at-wong/story-fn59niix-1226165315556
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 03:42:36 PM by Hifly »

Breaking News:

Don Farrell has reportedly ousted social liberal Michael O'Brien, the sitting Cabinet Minister for Finance, Minister for Police, Minister for Emergency Services, Minister for Correctional Services and Minister for Road Safety, who holds the ultra-safe seat of Napier.

It's great to see that Don Farrell will be back in active politics so soon after he will have to vacate his Senate seat because of his unfortunate loss last September. Hopefully he will make his way back into Federal politics within the next couple of election cycles.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/don-farrell-handed-safe-labor-seat-in-sa-state-election-the-australian-reports/story-fnii5yv4-1226814451376

Edit: Farrell is apparently planning to become Jay Weatherill's successor as State Labor leader!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »

And now Weatherill is throwing a hissy fit and apparently threatening to resign if Farrell is officially preselected. Go ahead. It'll make Farrell's life easier Smiley

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/jay-weatherill-ill-resign-as-premier-if-don-farrell-is-preselected-for-state-seat-of-napier/story-fni6uo1m-1226814451376
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Lab will have a bare win.

God willing but polling shows this to be unlikely.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2014, 01:36:07 PM by Hifly »

The first electorate poll is out!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Colton is held by Labor by a margin of 3.6% and is their eighth most marginal seat. The results of the poll highlight that a similar situation to 2010 could take place; There may be much lower than average swings in Labor's most marginal seats with popular incumbents but we could be looking at very large swings in Labor's safer seats, particularly those with retiring members such as Lee, Torrens and Reynell. Polls have shown that the greatest swings will take place in Metropolitan Adelaide (5.3% according to a poll of the city a couple of weeks ago).
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »

Another electorate poll is out from the seat of Adelaide, showing a 54-46 2PP for the Liberals (no swing from 2010).
Rachel Sanderson took this seat with over a 14% swing 4 years ago.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 09:00:35 AM by Hifly »

The Lindsay pamphlet was outright race-baiting ... this thing? My God, I'm actually agreeing with Cory Bernardi (there is not water hot enough or cleaning product corrosive enough to clean my mind of that thought) ... but this is a storm in a tea-cup. Mind you, must be a pleasure for the Libs to have someone else to be accused of racial insensitivity.

Onto the election itself... I have a weird feeling this could end up being a lot like 2010... the Libs under-perform in those crucial marginals, they have a chance to get big swings to them in safer seats (on both sides) and maybe pick up Mt Gambier from the Indy. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I don't see the ALP losing more than 6.

If you haven't paid a lot of attention, how have you come to that conclusion?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »

The Lindsay pamphlet was outright race-baiting ... this thing? My God, I'm actually agreeing with Cory Bernardi (there is not water hot enough or cleaning product corrosive enough to clean my mind of that thought) ... but this is a storm in a tea-cup. Mind you, must be a pleasure for the Libs to have someone else to be accused of racial insensitivity.

Onto the election itself... I have a weird feeling this could end up being a lot like 2010... the Libs under-perform in those crucial marginals, they have a chance to get big swings to them in safer seats (on both sides) and maybe pick up Mt Gambier from the Indy. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I don't see the ALP losing more than 6.

If you haven't paid a lot of attention, how have you come to that conclusion?

LOL... As in I haven't been obsessing over it ... I've been paying less attention than I normally would, but that's still enough to make a reasonable judgement.

I agree with your judgement (apart from the bit that the ALP won't lose more than 6 seats).
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:22 AM »

New polls out today showing Labor narrowly holding on in Newland and Mitchell. I will be so delighted if Tom Kenyon holds his seat!

Polnut how come you think Reynell will fall?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »

2 final polls out with widely differing results:
Reachtel 55-45
Newspoll 52.3-47.7
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »

2 final polls out with widely differing results:
Reachtel 55-45
Newspoll 52.3-47.7

If it's ReachTel, that's decent Lib majority - Newspoll, the Government could retain the majority on those numbers.

My gut-feel, final prediction will be tomorrow, will be closer to Newspoll ... 52-48 LNP. The biggest swings kept within safe seats and the Libs will under-perform in the marginals.

Ugh - I'm thinking... Libs 23 ALP 22 IND 2 ... Libs form Government with Indy support.

I'll need to think more tomorrow ...

If that is actually the result, then that is beyond pathetic for the SA Liberal Party.  They are running in an ideal environment that in any other Australian state would give them a 60-40 edge over Labor, and if the best they can manage is a bare majority (if that), then I don't know what to say.  

The national environment is certainly far from "ideal" for the Libs (and thus it is different from previous state elections where Libs were able to also take advantage of public hatred for the national ALP), but indeed, should they fail to win a majority today it will be an embarrassment for Marshall.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »

We're in hung parliament territory.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »

I think any chance of replacing Weatherill with Snelling or Koutsantonis is possibly out of the question if the independents get behind Labor.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »

I think any chance of replacing Weatherill with Snelling or Koutsantonis is possibly out of the question if the independents get behind Labor.

At the moment, Wetherill is a hero to the party ... he's safe for now. And yes, if there's written agreements with the Independents, any moves for the life of the next next parliament will be much harder.

"Safe" is certainly the wrong word to use because the Christian Right easily has the numbers and power to remove him whenever suits them but certainly any deal with independents would ensure this probably won't happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies