What will be next US Constitutional Amendment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:46:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What will be next US Constitutional Amendment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will be next US Constitutional Amendment?  (Read 7331 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:10 PM »

With the gutting of the Voting Rights Act making it necessary, perhaps the Right to Vote Amendment, along with the Equal Rights Amendment.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:31:19 AM »

With the gutting of the Voting Rights Act making it necessary, perhaps the Right to Vote Amendment, along with the Equal Rights Amendment.    

While I doubt the Fair Vote Amendment has any chance of passage,

That remains to be seen.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Before we can even consider getting rid of the Electoral College, and electing the President of the United States by popular vote alone, every state must adhere to a set of principles that prevents any attempt to disenfranchise certain segments of the population for political purposes.  And the best vehicle to do that is to pass a Right to Vote Amendment that constitutionally ensures their right to vote is protected.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Voting Rights Act has absolutely no connection to the Equal Rights Amendment -I just mentioned it in conjunction with the Fair Vote Amendment.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »

While I doubt the Fair Vote Amendment has any chance of passage, I can see where one would argue for its passage as a way to respond to Shelby County v. Holder.  But why the Equal Right Amendment?  Not only am I not aware of any efforts to suppress the women's vote, the Voting Rights Act doesn't include any language about gender based voting discrimination.

The Voting Rights Act was most recently renewed under George W. Bush, with most Republicans voting in favor.

The GOP of Bush's time was an entirely different beast.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies