Opinion of people who live in suburbs and never go to the city
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:02:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of people who live in suburbs and never go to the city
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of people who live in suburbs and never go to the city
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of people who live in suburbs and never go to the city  (Read 1704 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »

Living in a suburb is bad enough. But this is just mind boggingly ridiculous. Why on Earth would anyone do this? How do you not go bored out of your mind?

(Thinking of a rival Ingress player who 1-is a total douchebag and 2-basically never leaves Apple Valley. He's gone to St. Paul before but only to the State Fairgrounds so that doesn't really count.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »

I like my family.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »

How did I know this would be you?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »

What I don't get is how they get their required weekly intake of Indian food... or Vietnamese/Thai/'real Mexican' for that matter..
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »

What I don't get is how they get their required weekly intake of Indian food... or Vietnamese/Thai/'real Mexican' for that matter..

Opeob, consider that in many Pittsburgh burbs, they have all of those kinds of food places.  My good self, living 5 miles from the downtown and 2 miles from the city limits finds it more convenient to go into the city to find those kinds of places, but the well built up burbs have this stuff a plenty.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »

Aside from driving through once, I haven't been to DC all semester.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »

Opeob, consider that in many Pittsburgh burbs, they have all of those kinds of food places.  My good self, living 5 miles from the downtown and 2 miles from the city limits finds it more convenient to go into the city to find those kinds of places, but the well built up burbs have this stuff a plenty.

Hmm.. real Mexican?  I must admit, you're quite right, back in St. Louis, the best Indian places are in fact in relatively prosperous 'inner' suburbs and certainly not in the urban core.. though still 45 minute drive from my very far-flung exurban upbringing.  Vietnamese however tends to be a lot better in the urban center, and the only places I know to get really authentic Mexican/Latin food are in really quite dangerous areas (we don't have a lot of Latinos in Missouri).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »

Hmm.. real Mexican?  I must admit, you're quite right, back in St. Louis, the best Indian places are in fact in relatively prosperous 'inner' suburbs and certainly not in the urban core.. though still 45 minute drive from my very far-flung exurban upbringing.  Vietnamese however tends to be a lot better in the urban center, and the only places I know to get really authentic Mexican/Latin food are in really quite dangerous areas (we don't have a lot of Latinos in Missouri).

The Vietnamese/Thai/Indian places I frequent are in the ethnic Pittsburgh city neighborhoods of Lawrenceville and Bloomfield (they border each other) , not in the hard core downtown, for sure.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »

This nondescript intersection in Mountain View, California is the best place I know of for Mexican food.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »

Horrible. I could not imagine what life would be like not going into Philly.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:14 PM »

Define "never"?  It's not like growing up my family drove in to Minneapolis every weekend, but we'd journey in for things like the Science Museum, the Minnesota Orchestra, the State Fair, etc.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2013, 02:07:44 PM by Torie »

Perhaps because they are not cosmopolitans, who enjoy the artistic and other events the downtown area offers to take the time and expense to go there very often? Everybody has different tastes and priorities, and hobbies. This one size fits all mentality is what leads, or can lead, to an excessive interest in regulating and critiquing other people's lives. So in protest over something that is nether good nor bad, FF.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

My family lives in "the country" and his little reason to visit Detroit but for, say, sports games and to visit me, and the only reason my family's gone into Pontiac is either because of my mom's work (no longer employed there) or to see me do shows. That said, I could be reasonably entertained last summer by watching TV, eating food from local takeout places, and going on kayak outings with my friends. I figure a similar adaptation could be made for one who lives in the suburbs, though they would of course lack the scenery I'm exposed to (several of the folks I hung out with were in "the suburbs").
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

FF; I live in a suburb of West Palm and have been there twice in 2013. And I have been to Miami only two or three times as well. I hate the cities around here.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »

Seriously?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

Are we stereotyping random groups of people again?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

There's a vietnamese place about a mile from my house, run by and frequented by a vietnamese population.  Indian food is much closer than downtown as well.  Thai, alas, requires a trip to the city.

Real Mexican requires a two-thousand mile journey, and it's one that I make almost as regularly as I make the journey into the city.  In fact, I'd rather drive to Mexico than drive downtown.

FF.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »

Define "never"?  It's not like growing up my family drove in to Minneapolis every weekend, but we'd journey in for things like the Science Museum, the Minnesota Orchestra, the State Fair, etc.

The guy I'm thinking of lives in Apple Valley. He works part time at a Sprint store and is apparently a trust fund kiddie (no way anyone would be able to afford his house working even full time at a Sprint store as well.) He basically obsessively defends Apple Valley as his little personal fiefdom and heads out whenever anyone attacks his portals, aggressively chases people around the block, blocks traffic, and made one of our players afraid he was about to be carjacked due to his aggressive cornering of him while on a motorized scooter. He basically never goes anywhere out of Apple Valley except to Eagan and sometimes Edina to stock up on gear, and at one point started mocking me on comm for living in "the hood".
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »

The guy I'm thinking of lives in Apple Valley. He works part time at a Sprint store and is apparently a trust fund kiddie (no way anyone would be able to afford his house working even full time at a Sprint store as well.) He basically obsessively defends Apple Valley as his little personal fiefdom and heads out whenever anyone attacks his portals, aggressively chases people around the block, blocks traffic, and made one of our players afraid he was about to be carjacked due to his aggressive cornering of him while on a motorized scooter. He basically never goes anywhere out of Apple Valley except to Eagan and sometimes Edina to stock up on gear, and at one point started mocking me on comm for living in "the hood".

You should put a cap in his buttock.

As for the topic, I think suburbanites who never go into the city are kind of like Indiana--boring. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:51 AM »

The whole concept of American suburbia was built on the paranoia of white people.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »

The "Started by" column
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »

It's neither a good thing or a bad thing.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »

I hate seeing B&T people crowd into Manhattan on weekends.  If they would keep their guido haircuts and drunken antics back in New Jersey and Long Island, I would be happy.  So, I can't really complain about the suburbanites who never come into the city.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »

I hate seeing B&T people crowd into Manhattan on weekends.  If they would keep their guido haircuts and drunken antics back in New Jersey and Long Island, I would be happy.  So, I can't really complain about the suburbanites who never come into the city.
Guy whose name is a Brooklyn neighborhood complains about B&T people?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »

Guy whose name is a Brooklyn neighborhood complains about B&T people?

The nice parts of Brooklyn can complain about B&T people.  People who live in Morningside Heights aren't lording it over people in Williamsburg, right? 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies