Would you support a $15 an hour minimum wage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:36:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you support a $15 an hour minimum wage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Would you support a $15 an hour minimum wage?  (Read 2401 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »

No. (Abolish it instead).
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »

Basically what Mung Beans said with regards to increasing it (to $12.50 an hour), indexing it to inflation, and supplementing it with (extremely increased) social programs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2013, 10:46:09 AM by Antonio V »

I definitely wouldn't object to it. $15/hour is a perfectly fair minimum wage in a prosperous country like the US*. Still, as has been said. the real issue is indexation to inflation, something every developed country has.

Also, there should be a minimum monthly salary (regardless of hours worked) of at least $1000, also indexed.

*France's hourly minimum wage is €9.43/hour, which amounts to about $12.25. Sine the US GDP (PPP) is 38% higher than France's, that would translate to $17 in the US.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »

i think that's still not high enough but yes

Well yeah, this too. Ideally I'd like to see it at $25 an hour
Why not 50, or a hundred?
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

I'd definitely support a $15/hour minimum wage.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2013, 11:46:06 AM by traininthedistance »

My inclination is that $15 nationwide is slightly too high, but preferable all the same to what we have now, which is far too low.  So, lean yes.  Ideally we'd have a federal minimum around $12 or so (basically just above what it was at the peak of indyTX's graph), with higher local minimums in high-cost jurisdictions.  $15 in NYC, SF, DC, the Bakken, and maybe a couple other places should be doable.  

And, yes, of course index it to inflation, and yes of course abolish the exemption for tipped employees.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

No, raise it to 10 dollars along with indexing it to inflation and supplementing it with already existing social programs. I'm also open to a minimum income/negative income tax of some sort on top of this, but a 15 dollars an hour minimum wage is not a practicable idea.

This. Even a raise to $9.00 an hour would be good. A raise to $11 would be doable, though.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »

i think that's still not high enough but yes

Well yeah, this too. Ideally I'd like to see it at $25 an hour
Why not 50, or a hundred?

There certainly seems to be no limit to the demands for 'more, more' from the capitalist class, so perhaps your point is a good one - we should learn from our enemies and demand as they do.

I say demand the end to private property and the guillotining of the owning class.  Then a $25 minimum wage and a 95% top tax rate might seem a reasonable compromise.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »

Yes.  Cut taxes for small businesses so that they don't loose revenue.  And penalize all large corporations that lay off workers as a result of the minimum wage hike.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

Yes (normal)

I love the minimum wage hate on this site, yet whenever they put it up for a vote it always passes in landslide votes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »

Yes.  Cut taxes for small businesses so that they don't loose revenue.  And penalize all large corporations that lay off workers as a result of the minimum wage hike.

So you'd rather they cut hours?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »

Not speaking on Peter's behalf, but I would support penalizing corporations that both lay off and cut workers' hours in response to this.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

No.  Cut the salaries of CEO's.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »

There isn't going to be nearly enough there in most cases.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

My inclination is that $15 nationwide is slightly too high, but preferable all the same to what we have now, which is far too low.  So, lean yes.  Ideally we'd have a federal minimum around $12 or so (basically just above what it was at the peak of indyTX's graph), with higher local minimums in high-cost jurisdictions.  $15 in NYC, SF, DC, the Bakken, and maybe a couple other places should be doable.  

And, yes, of course index it to inflation, and yes of course abolish the exemption for tipped employees.

Can't really add to this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

Yes (normal)

I love the minimum wage hate on this site, yet whenever they put it up for a vote it always passes in landslide votes.

Forum full of horrible spoiled rich kids.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

Paying workers $15/hour for working 20 hours a week is obviously much better than paying them $7.50/hour for working 40 hours a week.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »

In cases where it isn't, then there should be exemptions, but if the management of large corporations and the profits the corporations turn up are both cut, then $15/hour wages would be perfectly reasonable w/o layoffs.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »

Yes (normal)

Hang on, there are also class traitors and scabs who hate on the minimum wage. Don't heap all the blame in the corner of us horrible, spoiled little rich kids.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

In cases where it isn't, then there should be exemptions, but if the management of large corporations and the profits the corporations turn up are both cut, then $15/hour wages would be perfectly reasonable w/o layoffs.

So it's okay for them to lay off managers? Even if so, if you don't have good management in these stores, they'll lose business - which lead to layoffs.  If you make regulations, you're going to have to live with the results of those regulations one way or the other.
What you are basically proposing is to make it harder for a business to be successful and then punishing them for being less successful.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

So it's okay for them to lay off managers? Even if so, if you don't have good management in these stores, they'll lose business - which lead to layoffs.  If you make regulations, you're going to have to live with the results of those regulations one way or the other.
What you are basically proposing is to make it harder for a business to be successful and then punishing them for being less successful.
No, I am merely proposing that they be afforded the same pay as their workers.  Shocking concept.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »

no.  minimum wage laws should be left to the states.

a very high minimum wage would lead to high unemployment and inflation.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

No, I am merely proposing that they be afforded the same pay as their workers.  Shocking concept.

Well, if you are genuinely proposing that they receive the same rate of pay as their employees, then that is a genuinely shocking concept. Especially since the managers perform harder tasks than the workers and are thus paid more as an incentive for people to do those harder, more intellectually demanding jobs.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

Hang on, there are also class traitors and scabs who hate on the minimum wage. Don't heap all the blame in the corner of us horrible, spoiled little rich kids.

You're quite right.  My only defense - he hadn't posted yet:

no.  minimum wage laws should be left to the states.

a very high minimum wage would lead to high unemployment and inflation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies