Rob Ford Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rob Ford Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rob Ford Discussion Thread  (Read 2397 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

This needs its own thread.

Did anyone catch this?

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »

It's like watching a bowling ball and a pin...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

Yes.... It would be hilarious if he somehow won re-election.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

Yes.... It would be hilarious if he somehow won re-election.

We can only hope!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

So who exactly still supports Rob Ford anymore?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »

His brother and populists, because this is false and a plot from the elites to take back control, according to them.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

His brother and populists, because this is false and a plot from the elites to take back control, according to them.
The suburban parts of the city still love him. Aren't they sometimes called "Ford Nation"?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »

The suburban parts of the city still love him. Aren't they sometimes called "Ford Nation"?

Yes. His support is down to what, 20% now? Still higher than it should be. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

20% would have to correspond to people who don't buy newspapers, watch tv, listen to the radio, or talk to their neighbours. I'd include people returning from overseas trips, but it's been through all of our media, so I would assume even international travellers would have trouble avoiding the news...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

Ford's fitness trainer is a convicted steroids trafficker.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »

I suppose an issue is that his core support comes more from a kind of 'fyck you inner city' suburban backlash sentiment rather than from a 'normal' base for a North American Municipal Conservative (i.e. such people voted for him, but have clearly abandoned ship in horror by this point) even if there are overlaps.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

What amazes me is, that even when a credible conservative is mentioned in polling, much of Ford Nation holds strong behind the mayor. Afraid of splitting the vote?

At this point, I hope Rob Ford's name is on the ballot in October for the reason that it can only help Olivia Chow's chances at winning, if she runs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

I guess they aren't terribly interested in a 'credible conservative'. Parts of Ford Nation voted against Tory in 2003, after all.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »

I suppose an issue is that his core support comes more from a kind of 'fyck you inner city' suburban backlash sentiment rather than from a 'normal' base for a North American Municipal Conservative (i.e. such people voted for him, but have clearly abandoned ship in horror by this point) even if there are overlaps.

I thought that "f[inks] you inner city" was the normal base for North American Municipal Conservatives. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »

Grin
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

I find the idea of Rob Ford having a fitness trainer more suspicious than said fitness trainer trafficking in steroids.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

Look, there's no faster way to recover from a long night of smoking crack, than a shot of steroids in the ole keister. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »

I thought that "f[inks] you inner city" was the normal base for North American Municipal Conservatives. Tongue

Except it's not as common to have unholy amalgamations in the US between the urban core and the suburbs of a city. There's a reason why Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America, but only the 11th largest metro area.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

There's a reason why Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America, but only the 11th largest metro area.

By what measure do you get that statistic? Keep in mind that Statistics Canada's definition of a metropolitan area is more restrictive than the US Census Bureau's "Metropolitan Statistical Area". MSA's follow county lines, so by US definitions the Toronto MSA would include at least Toronto, York, Durham, Peel and Halton, whose combined 2011 census population is larger than the 2010 census population for all American MSA's except NYC, LA, Chicago and Dallas. And they often include a ring of intuitively rural-ish counties as well, so maybe more, and possibly enough to pass Dallas.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »

Except it's not as common to have unholy amalgamations in the US between the urban core and the suburbs of a city. There's a reason why Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America, but only the 11th largest metro area.

I still say Halifax is the worst. Its the same distance from one end of the municipality to the other as Montreal to Ottawa.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »

There's a reason why Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America, but only the 11th largest metro area.

By what measure do you get that statistic? Keep in mind that Statistics Canada's definition of a metropolitan area is more restrictive than the US Census Bureau's "Metropolitan Statistical Area". MSA's follow county lines, so by US definitions the Toronto MSA would include at least Toronto, York, Durham, Peel and Halton, whose combined 2011 census population is larger than the 2010 census population for all American MSA's except NYC, LA, Chicago and Dallas. And they often include a ring of intuitively rural-ish counties as well, so maybe more, and possibly enough to pass Dallas.

Source is Wikipedia. I suspect they are indeed comparing apples and oranges. I actually created the article, many years ago- and at the time I used world gazetteer- which no longer exists- as a source.  They used definitions which were more comparable.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »

Approval is steady at 42%: http://htl.li/r5npx

the crosstabs are very, very interesting.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »

In case nobody has already posted this, here is 'Rob Ford the Movie' for your enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUY6lDja-DE
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »

Approval is steady at 42%: http://htl.li/r5npx

the crosstabs are very, very interesting.

What gets me... there are 42% who approve of the job Rob Ford is doing as mayor, but only 34% are opposed to his powers/staff/budget being stripped. Who are those other 8%? The ones going "yeah, I think Rob Ford is doing a great job as mayor, but I'm glad the council is stopping him from continuing to do that great job that I think he's doing..."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

There's a lot about Rob Ford's support that is baffling.

Olivia Chow's approval is at 59%, so at least 1% of Torontonians approve of both Ford and Chow Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies