Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions  (Read 8082 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »

Non-citizens caught voting in Ohio.

Time to throw these hoodlums in prison! They can join this lying cheater.

Here's one about a non-resident of Florida voting there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ann-coulter-addresses-voting-issue-article-1.390807
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »

bump

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/02/21/twin-bills-set-for-governors-signature-today-would-limit-voting-rights

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »

Sickening.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »

Shortening the early voting period may not be as partisan as one thinks. The Dems in IL did the same thing last year for this year's election. Most voters were using either the first or last couple of days and counties were complaining of the expense to staff a largely unused middle week.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »

Shortening the early voting period may not be as partisan as one thinks. The Dems in IL did the same thing last year for this year's election. Most voters were using either the first or last couple of days and counties were complaining of the expense to staff a largely unused middle week.

And the rest?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »

And the rest?

http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/same-day-registration-increases-voter-turnout-by-10-percentage-points/

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »

Here's what Jon Husted, our Republican Secretary of State, said about 2012 voter fraud in a report earlier this year.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/mediaCenter/2013/2013-05-23.aspx

Highlights: 625 recorded cases of "voting irregularities", of which also include reports alleging voter suppression. Of these only 135, including those referred by the SoS, were referred to county prosecutors for potential charges.

Then apparently 490 suspected cases are certifiably unprovable. Nothing about them has evidence backing a an indictment. So two people named 'Bill Smith' vote in the same precinct. One is "Bill Smith, Sr.", and the other is "Bill Smith, Jr." -- father and son. Maybe there are two cases of people named "Juanita Garcia" voting in the same precinct. Maybe they are two different people. Someone proved to have died between casting an absentee ballot and the election? It happens all the time.

So some college student from Cleveland is registered both in Cleveland and Columbus and votes in Columbus where he is a student at Ohio State? OK -- that happens, and the question is whether one can prevent him from voting in two places. In most states, a new registration invalidates an earlier registration with no consequences.

Multiple registrations? It's up to election officials to ensure that only one of those registrations is legitimate.

Someone might register before achieving full citizenship on the assumption that citizenship at the time of the election is good enough -- just as it is possible for someone to register at age 17 so long as one turns 18 on or before Election Day. We should all know about that.

Seeming irregularities often prove innocuous or to be understandable errors which probably wash out. Most vote fraud is done by administrators of elections.       

Lack of evidence mandates acquittal if a charge is made; such is the assumption behind the presumption of innocence that distinguishes the legal system of the US from that of the old Soviet Union.

Voter fraud just isn;t worth the risk.   

Good enough for me. It's time for Republicans to quit being sore losers about elections that they fail to win in the absence of dirty tricks. Maybe some people want to redefine the electorate to their political advantage. It's been done, as in Apartheid-era South Africa. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »

I still think one solution is to just adopt the Canadian voter ID system. It's reasonably secure but provides a straightforward way to deal with voters who show up without an ID.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

I still think one solution is to just adopt the Canadian voter ID system. It's reasonably secure but provides a straightforward way to deal with voters who show up without an ID.

The issue is that making it harder for people to vote is a feature for the authors of these laws, not a bug. A solution that includes voter ID but which doesn't discourage voting won't fly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »

Someone might register before achieving full citizenship on the assumption that citizenship at the time of the election is good enough -- just as it is possible for someone to register at age 17 so long as one turns 18 on or before Election Day. We should all know about that.

I don't know if it is the case everywhere, but in South Carolina, not only can 17 year olds register, they can vote in primary elections so long they will be 18 when the corresponding general election is held.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »

I don't know if it is the case everywhere, but in South Carolina, not only can 17 year olds register, they can vote in primary elections so long they will be 18 when the corresponding general election is held.

This is true in IL starting this year.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »

Michigan has this rule as well.  It makes sense to me.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »

The issue is that making it harder for people to vote is a feature for the authors of these laws, not a bug. A solution that includes voter ID but which doesn't discourage voting won't fly.

For some this may be true, but I've also found that the issue has become so polarized that when I outline the Canadian system to Dems they recoil as if its the the worst suppression plan. They are quite surprised when I tell them where it comes from.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2014, 12:47:32 AM by Cory »

So can there now be any doubt that the GOP is the party of institutionalized underhandedness, and cares solely and exclusively about it's wealthy donors?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »

Michigan has this rule as well.  It makes sense to me.

I'm pretty sure that's the rule in VA as well.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2014, 05:11:28 AM »

I'm a big fan of LA's voter ID law.

If you show up without an ID, they ask you questions (mother's maiden name, address, etc.) and you sign an affidavit attesting to your identity. I think its reasonable.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »

bump 2

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/02/25/3329131/ohio-restricts-early-voting-hours-key-black-turnout/

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »

Apparently Ohio has taken back up its' battle with Indiana over the crown of "The South of the North." These laws are insanity and have nothing to do with voter fraud.
nuclearneo577
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.70

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »

Apparently Ohio has taken back up its' battle with Indiana over the crown of "The South of the North." These laws are insanity and have nothing to do with voter fraud.
Yeah, Republicans will do anything to stop black people Democrats from voting, even if it means hurting their own voting base.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »

This doesn't seem so strange since in IL where the Dems wrote the early voting law there is no voting the two days before the election and short hours on Sunday (12-3), including no hours on Sunday except for the counties' designated permanent early voting location.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies