Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio GOP to Pass New "NC-like" Voting Restrictions  (Read 8182 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 07, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »

Disgusting.

If I were in Ohio, I could see myself possibly supporting Kasich (he really hasn't done anything to piss me off too much and I'm not impressed with Fitz), but not if he signed these laws. This is a critical issue for me.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 09:12:18 AM by MilesC56 »

Well, that is a very practical argument (why is my ideology despicable Sad ?). But, I guess it reduces the potential for voter fraud, as well as the number of votes that have to be counted on election day, saving time and (potentially) money.

Even going by the Republicans' numbers the voter fraud rate is 0.0048% in Ohio.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »

Anyway, full steam ahead with these voting restrictions.

Can you provide any practical argument in favor, except that results that are favorable to your (despicable) ideology will become more probable?

Well, that is a very practical argument (why is my ideology despicable Sad ?). But, I guess it reduces the potential for voter fraud, as well as the number of votes that have to be counted on election day, saving time and (potentially) money.

So are you saying that having less people vote is okay if it saves money?

I'm not sure how much time or money counting 270 supposedly fraudulent votes out of 5.6 million would cost you...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »

Of course, none of these states will ever go far enough with this for krazen, so he'll just have to keep cherrypicking instances of isolated fraud. His idea that students shouldn't be allowed to vote, even if they're over 18, is an 'interesting theory.' Remind me again who has 'contempt' for the democratic process...

I doubt any even Republican legislature be as extreme and blatant in their suppression efforts as to enact his ideas.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:11:28 AM »

I still think one solution is to just adopt the Canadian voter ID system. It's reasonably secure but provides a straightforward way to deal with voters who show up without an ID.

I'm a big fan of LA's voter ID law.

If you show up without an ID, they ask you questions (mother's maiden name, address, etc.) and you sign an affidavit attesting to your identity. I think its reasonable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies