Quebec 1970 w/Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:37:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Quebec 1970 w/Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec 1970 w/Johnson  (Read 706 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »

If Johnson's cardiac health is better, how does everyone see '70 shaping up? My take is thus: the Unionists will have to craft language legislation that is very similar to RL's CLF because that's their best shot at asphyxiating the PQ in its infancy, politically (and is also necessary from a policy POV, IMO). IRL they were working on a small-ball bill that would mandate second-language instruction in high school. Lesage resigns as PLQ leader since those reasons don't change. My guess is that against Johnson, Desrochers & Co decide that Bourassa would get demolished as a lightweight, so they go for Laporte. An old-style progressive machinist with the media and political profile, plus a proper ideological contrast instead of Wagner's blurry one. Unionists will also focus on severely conservative budgeting to get out of the near-bankruptcy bequeathed them in '66. When all's said and done I think Johnson wins a comfortable majority and the PQ enters the Assnat. Say 48-43-7 PV, 70-35-3 in seats or thereabouts.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »

I agree with your predictions.

Also, I think it changes the face of the left-right debate in Quebec. If the UN successfully made the transition to a modern conservative party with some national tendencies, the PQ's rise could've been muted. Perhaps they'd be like the ADQ, winning a decent number of seats but never really challenging for power.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

Keeping a monopoly on the nationalist vote and keeping what we'd now call the nationalist and federalist wings both happy are key. My own guess is that Laporte mostly agrees with Johnson on language. Economy is the other major issue. I have a whole bunch of ideas for a TL on this, which I'll probably never write. Anglos will be reminded that "cooperation toujours, assimilation jamais" cuts both ways, and this in the longer run will improve community relations. PLQ is on the defensive throughout.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies