Do you think Vermont should secede from the US and join Canada?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Do you think Vermont should secede from the US and join Canada?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you think Vermont should secede from the US and join Canada?  (Read 9834 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2013, 08:53:42 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I am fascinated by the desire of groups to create even greater political segregation in North America. The Big Sort has created a high degree of geographical polarization within the states of the US, yet apparently that sorting isn't enough. Is there nothing to be gained by a diversity of viewpoints within a state or country?
I am not trying to create political segregation but Vermont is just so liberal.

Look at the surrounding states PVI:

NH: D+1
ME: D+6
MA: D+10
CT: D+7
NY: D+12 or D+13

Look at Vermont PVI:

VT: D+16

Seems to me that all that means is that it's at the high end of a pretty reasonable continuum of partisanship in a generally left-leaning part of the country. Let's look at those numbers in isolation.

1 6 7 10 11* 16

There really aren't any gaps that I'd call inordinately huge here. Vermont is an outlier within this group, sure, but within reason and only to the same extent that New Hampshire is. Completing the 'New York and New England' monolith by adding in Rhode Island gives us another 11, so Vermont has even more company up towards that end.

*New York's PVI is D+11, not D+12 or D+13
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »

No; to the contrary, I'd like to see several Canadian provinces join the US Smiley

Though the politics geek in me wonders how VT would vote in Canadian elections. 

Maybe something like this?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

No; to the contrary, I'd like to see several Canadian provinces join the US Smiley

Though the politics geek in me wonders how VT would vote in Canadian elections. 

Maybe something like this?

Washington and Windham might go NDP as well, but otherwise that seems about right.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »

No way. We need Vermont. If anything, we need more left-wing states. I'd rather Canada give up BC or its Atlantic provinces. Admitting Atlantic Canada as four separate states would be quite good for future Democratic prospects. It wouldn't look too bad on a map either. Wink
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

Unless we can give New Jersey to Italy.

I second this motion.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

Let's have the Deep South join the Bahamas instead.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

At that point you're basically reestablishing the Confederacy and giving them a Caribbean protectorate. 

Not sure that's exactly what you were going for...
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »

At that point you're basically reestablishing the Confederacy and giving them a Caribbean protectorate. 

Not sure that's exactly what you were going for...

I guess the Bahamas wouldn't like that. How about Djibouti?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

The Big Sort has created a high degree of geographical polarization within the states of the US, yet apparently that sorting isn't enough. Is there nothing to be gained by a diversity of viewpoints within a state or country?

Some of us sorted ourselves right out of the Bad Place.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 07:22:26 AM »

Support! Hopefully that could give PD a sufficient edge against Berlusconi. Smiley
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2013, 02:11:58 PM by King of Kensington »

No way. We need Vermont. If anything, we need more left-wing states. I'd rather Canada give up BC or its Atlantic provinces. Admitting Atlantic Canada as four separate states would be quite good for future Democratic prospects. It wouldn't look too bad on a map either. Wink

It's interesting to speculate how Canadian provinces would vote if they were US states.  I don't buy that (outside Quebec) there would be an 85-15 split between Democrats and Republicans (in spite of what these hypothetical scenarios by pollsters say) but they would certainly almost all be Democrat.  Even conservative Alberta would probably be politically similar to Colorado.  And Eastern Ontario is definitely more conservative than Vermont (though Ontario would be a Dem stronghold, obviously).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

It's interesting to speculate how Canadian provinces would vote if they were US states.  I don't buy that (outside Quebec) there would be an 85-15 split between Democrats and Republicans (in spite of what these hypothetical scenarios by pollsters say) but they would certainly almost all be Democrat.  Even conservative Alberta would probably be politically similar to Colorado.  And Eastern Ontario is definitely more conservative than Vermont (though Ontario would be a Dem stronghold, obviously).

Well you have to consider that with a much greater land mass and presence of more states, etc., the political axis would have to shift.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 02:57:52 AM »

I wouldn't mind New England splintering off altogether. Especially if Cruz wins in 2016
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »

Well you have to consider that with a much greater land mass and presence of more states, etc., the political axis would have to shift.

Indeed. The question is how it would shift.

Suppose we do a bit of handwaving and have Canada annexed with current provincial borders back in the 1800's. Would swing states vote GOP to account for the leftward shift or would the Canadian provinces be more mixed?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2013, 09:01:09 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

No, and Canada isn't the left-wing paradise that American liberal lore holds that it is. Sadly, it will stray ever farther from that ideal as oil sands continue to give Alberta more money, population, and influence.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »

Trying to imagine PEI (Pop. 140 000) as a state Tongue
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »

Trying to imagine PEI (Pop. 140 000) as a state Tongue

Each of the Atlantic provinces is smaller than MT, and NL has a smaller population than WY. Taken together the Atlantic provinces would fall somewhere between NM and NV in population. It's hard to imagine the US taking them as four states even if there was such a petition.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »

Vermont isn't any more like Canada than any other border region.  And no, they shouldn't join Canada.  Unless we can give New Jersey to Italy... cuz New Jersey is getting politically like Italy in my opinion Wink

NO!!!!!  We are not doing this!!!

As for Vermont, another profound NO!  We need more states like Vermont. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies