Official Michigan Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official Michigan Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Official Michigan Megathread  (Read 25900 times)
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »

Terri Lynn Land is about to waste a lot of money.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

How about she gives the 650 grand to me?? Smiley
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. The end result would be the same.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »

After reading the writing on the wall, the Detroit News has endorsed Gary Peters.

This will be an interesting Michigan House race. The gerrymandering of this district was absurd--it got slightly more Republican after redistricting, but there should be enough Democrats to keep Winnie Brinks in office. If I recall correctly, the areas west of Leonard St. are more Republican, same with the areas south of 28th Street, near Kalamazoo and Burton/Breton area--this is near Calvin College, and Leonard/96. But the areas east of Alpine and north of Leonard should be pretty reliably Democratic--same with the areas between Burton St. and Fulton. This district doesn't include huge chunks of Democratic-friendly areas of the city of Grand Rapids, like Heritage Hill, Eastown, and the SE area near Eastern and Hall that are very heavily Democratic.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

By the way, this happened, for whatever reason.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:13 AM »

The best part of last night: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/elections/2014/11/04/michigan-supreme-court-results/18492451/

Even after the state Democratic Party didn't drop a dime into his campaign, this man:

will be serving on the Michigan Supreme Court for an eight-year term.

There is a just and loving God. Thank you to the wonderful people of the state of Michigan for making the right decision, and granting Michigan's most beloved personal injury lawyer the seat on the bench that he so deserves.

But, up yours for re-electing Bill Schuette.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »

The best part of last night: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/elections/2014/11/04/michigan-supreme-court-results/18492451/

Even after the state Democratic Party didn't drop a dime into his campaign, this man:

There is a just and loving God. Thank you to the wonderful people of the state of Michigan for making the right decision, and granting Michigan's most beloved personal injury lawyer the seat on the bench that he so deserves.

And while we're at it, let's give a big middle finger to the a-holes who split their ticket between Snyder and Peters. IIRC, Peters and Snyder both won Oakland County by an almost identical margin, one that could have possibly been enough to push Schauer over the top.

One other important thing to note is that Snyder actually said he ran a "positive" campaign. He ran a "Morning in America" campaign until the polls consistently showed Schauer within striking distance, and at that point, Morning in America was over and Snyder decided that he was running against Jennifer Granholm, not Mark Schauer.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 09:49:22 AM by dmmidmi »

And while we're at it, let's give a big middle finger to the a-holes who split their ticket between Snyder and Peters. IIRC, Peters and Snyder both won Oakland County by an almost identical margin, one that could have possibly been enough to push Schauer over the top.

One other important thing to note is that Snyder actually said he ran a "positive" campaign. He ran a "Morning in America" campaign until the polls consistently showed Schauer within striking distance, and at that point, Morning in America was over and Snyder decided that he was running against Jennifer Granholm, not Mark Schauer.

The Michigan Democratic Party gave it a good go with Mark Schauer--I highly doubt they realized that, when choosing a sacrificial lamb, they actually chose a pretty high-quality sacrificial lamb. That was an uphill battle--coming within 5 points is nothing to be embarrassed about. Now, it's time to recruit someone for 2018, and to recruit high-quality candidates to win in MI-01 and MI-07.

I also wish to applaud the good people of Michigan for rejecting the idea of establishing a wolf hunt. Oddly enough, if I had to vote yes on one or the other, it probably would've been Prop 2, even though that proposal was more soundly defeated.

Also, thank you to the good people of MI-76 for returning Winnie Brinks to Lansing, and Rose Bowl-winning coach George Perles to the Michigan State University Board of Trustees.

No real shakeups in the State House or Senate was probably the best I could reasonably hope for here.

To the people of MI-08--Mike Bishop is an a**hole.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

Considering the climate we actually just got, Schauer did pretty well. If it was less Republican (like most expected), he probably would've won.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »

Disappointed to see Snyder win, but not unexpected I suppose.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »

http://michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277--343856--,00.html

Here's the new plan for the roads.  Looks like we'll have to vote on this in May.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »

Here's the new plan for the roads.  Looks like we'll have to vote on this in May.

Yep--the plan is to fund fixing the roads on the back of middle class citizens. You know what, though? The roads need to be fixed, period. Michigan's roads are the worst.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »

If 2016 turns out to be a wave year, maybe Mark Schauer against Tim Walberg again wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »

Yep--the plan is to fund fixing the roads on the back of middle class citizens. You know what, though? The roads need to be fixed, period. Michigan's roads are the worst.
How is it on the backs of the middle class if it reinstates the EITC?  Don't get me wrong; I don't want to raise sales taxes and would rather pay for it some other way, but did you actually read the link?
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »

How is it on the backs of the middle class if it reinstates the EITC?  Don't get me wrong; I don't want to raise sales taxes and would rather pay for it some other way, but did you actually read the link?

I did read the link.

The plan includes raising the sales tax and funding the repairs through a new road repair tax paid for by people who purchase gas.

Sounds like this is being paid for by middle-class Michiganders to me.

Though, I'm totally in favor of reinstating the EITC. I was absolutely shocked when that was repealed.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »

Dave Agema is at it again.  Seriously, if he doesn't resign, he should be removed.  People like this are the ones who should be censures, not "moderates" and "RINOs" like McCain or Lindsey Graham.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/ken_braun_dave_agemas_white_su.html

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »

Agema's a douche. I think there was a vote to censure him not long ago.

Either way, Gov. Snyder does the right thing here: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/michigan_gov_rick_snyder_vetoe_2.html#incart_river

and here: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/gov_rick_snyder_vetoes_bill_cr.html#incart_river

and here: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/e-cigarette_bills_vetoed_by_mi.html#incart_river

and here: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/michigan_gov_rick_snyder_signs_3.html#incart_river
DS0816
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »

Michigan has turned to sh**t when it comes to its roads because it has a policy that is too generous to commercial trucks. (That is, by comparison to most other states.) Roads, over the last couple decades (a kind estimate), get excessively damaged not because of weather (Michigan's isn't solely on the receiving end of that) but by the policy of allowing commercial trucks to have excessive limits.

You know what's hypocritical: This will be the second consecutive Republican Governor of Michigan who raised taxes. John Engler did so in the 1990s (he won three terms, 1990, 1994, and 1998) and Rick Snyder (2010, 2014) has as well. Snyder is a con artist, and the homeowners took it up the *a* with their state income taxes. And now, Snyder wants to raise the state tax of goods (which is what Engler did in the 1990s). Naturally, the bullsh**t will continue that only Democrats raise taxes.

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »

Michigan has turned to sh**t when it comes to its roads because it has a policy that is too generous to commercial trucks. (That is, by comparison to most other states.) Roads, over the last couple decades (a kind estimate), get excessively damaged not because of weather (Michigan's isn't solely on the receiving end of that) but by the policy of allowing commercial trucks to have excessive limits.

You know what's hypocritical: This will be the second consecutive Republican Governor of Michigan who raised taxes. John Engler did so in the 1990s (he won three terms, 1990, 1994, and 1998) and Rick Snyder (2010, 2014) has as well. Snyder is a con artist, and the homeowners took it up the *a* with their state income taxes. And now, Snyder wants to raise the state tax of goods (which is what Engler did in the 1990s). Naturally, the bullsh**t will continue that only Democrats raise taxes.

I recall when the sales tax was upped from 4% to 6%. I remember advertisements saying that a benefit of the increase would be that smokers would pay a higher tax (as if anybody really gives a sh!t about that). I'm not convinced that the road proposal will pass--we'll see.

The weather doesn't help, either--in any given year, temperatures in Michigan can vary by over 100 degrees. I imagine that we have a lot more car traffic than most states with similar temperature variation, but less truck traffic (trucks don't drive through Michigan unless they need to).
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2015, 08:13:11 AM »

Yet again, Rick Snyder does the right thing.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »

To give him credit, he's probably the best Republican governor in country, next to Sandoval or Kasich.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2015, 11:28:41 AM by OC »

The economic turmoil of Dtw and deunionizing on the part of GOP have turned patrons against G O P gov. Although I am on the otherside of that issue, it is a great step.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »

The road proposal is going down in flames.

Big businesses got a tax break in 2011, and now citizens are being asked to fix the roads that their semi trucks have destroyed? And not one word in the proposal about tightening weight restrictions?

I don't understand why so many politicians are spending their political capital on this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »

I recall when the sales tax was upped from 4% to 6%. I remember advertisements saying that a benefit of the increase would be that smokers would pay a higher tax (as if anybody really gives a sh!t about that). I'm not convinced that the road proposal will pass--we'll see.

The weather doesn't help, either--in any given year, temperatures in Michigan can vary by over 100 degrees. I imagine that we have a lot more car traffic than most states with similar temperature variation, but less truck traffic (trucks don't drive through Michigan unless they need to).

I-69 and I-94 carry huge volumes of Canadian trucks (Toronto and Montreal on the one side, Chicago and Indianapolis on the other). Both highways have been rebuilt to accommodate the heavy trucks. The only surprise to me is that the cloverleaf interchange between 69 and 94 in Marshall hasn't been rebuilt. It's a trucker's nightmare.

Michigan has much long-distance car travel... but cars don't damage roads as trucks do.

There are no specifics on how to spend the money. I'd like to see a map of new roads and improvements. A freeway link from Traverse City to I-75? Extending the US-131 freeway to the Indiana state line? Transforming I-94 west of Ann Arbor into a six-lane highway? Replacing some rural junctions with interchanges?     

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »

I-69 and I-94 carry huge volumes of Canadian trucks (Toronto and Montreal on the one side, Chicago and Indianapolis on the other). Both highways have been rebuilt to accommodate the heavy trucks. The only surprise to me is that the cloverleaf interchange between 69 and 94 in Marshall hasn't been rebuilt. It's a trucker's nightmare.

Michigan has much long-distance car travel... but cars don't damage roads as trucks do.

There are no specifics on how to spend the money. I'd like to see a map of new roads and improvements. A freeway link from Traverse City to I-75? Extending the US-131 freeway to the Indiana state line? Transforming I-94 west of Ann Arbor into a six-lane highway? Replacing some rural junctions with interchanges?     

This, about a million times over. Despite what civil engineers hired by the state may say, it's not like the stretch of I-94 between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo is dangerous, or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies