Death Penalty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:18:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Death Penalty?  (Read 4700 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:04:14 AM »

I am wholeheartedly opposed to the death penalty. I have issues with it on a moral level (we are stooping down to the criminal's level when we use it) and I don't think the state should be in the business of killing. (not that anyone should be)

Begin debating!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »

Oppose, pretty much what you said. The state doesn't have the right to put people to death.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »

I may theoretically support it, but the potential of executing an innocent person along with the costs from the appeals are too great. I'd reserve it for extreme cases such as those of mass murder or war crimes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »

Oppose, it has no place in a civilized country.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:59:20 AM »

Oppose, it has no place in a civilized country.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »

Support. It is it a vital tool for use  in the maintenance of a civilised society.

Should be used in cases of murder (excepting mitigating circumstances), rape, big-time drug dealing and treason.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:27:49 AM »

We shouldn't use it very often, but it should be an option for special use.  I don't think your garden variety murdering asshat deserves the infamy.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:48:06 AM »

I'm very much opposed to capital punishment. It should have no place in modern society.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »

Support. It is it a vital tool for use  in the maintenance of a civilised society.
Why?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Should be used in cases of murder (excepting mitigating circumstances), rape, big-time drug dealing and treason.
Stooping down to the level of a murderer is not civilized, and does not belong in government, let alone society.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

Oh, so Western Europe (including the country to apparently live in) has collapsed into barbarity? I wasn't aware.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »

I may theoretically support it, but the potential of executing an innocent person along with the costs from the appeals are too great. I'd reserve it for extreme cases such as those of mass murder or war crimes.

This.  I'm not philosophically opposed to it so much as I'm opposed to the way America implements it.

If someone murdered my wife or parents I would want the death penalty on the scumbag, so I can't really criticize any other person for wanting it, at least without being a hypocrite.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »

Oppose. The government should not be able to put people to death unless they pose a legitimate threat to the safety of others. We have the capability to prevent that in virtually all circumstances.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »

Merely symptomatic of the emphasis of the penal system on punishment rather than restitution.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2013, 08:53:32 PM by DC Al Fine »

I'm not philosophically opposed to it so much as I'm opposed to the way America implements it.

Also, if we're going to have executions, I want them to be hangings.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »

I oppose the Death Penalty. We should have life sentences at hard labor camps instead.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 12:22:38 AM »

Absolutely oppose. This country shall not operate under and "eye for an eye" system. We don't rape rapists. We don't rob robbers. We shouldn't kill killers.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:28:02 AM »

Oh, so Western Europe (including the country to apparently live in) has collapsed into barbarity? I wasn't aware.

Well, I wouldn't quite put it like that (although when you see inner cities one does often wonder), but, given that the vast majority of civilised societies in the course of human history have maintained some form of capital punishment (indeed, to suggest that a country cannot be civilised and possess the death death penalty entails describing Japan and the United States as being 'uncivilised' nations), I fail to see how using it makes on uncivilised. You see, in my view, someone who is civilised is someone who recognises that there have to be rules, regulations and standards of behaviour, and that these are things which need to be enforced. Whilst I'm not claiming that you don't agree with me on this particular issue (although I'm sure that there are some who do not believe this), I would imagine that you have a much more positive view of human nature than I do. For what it's worth, I think that the standards of decency and behaviour that I have mentioned above can only be properly enforced through he use of 'sticks' as opposed to 'carrots'. Humans are basically bad, and the only way to control this natural badness is through the use of intimidation and conformity from an early age. So, what do humans fear the most... The correct answer is of course death. Now, whilst I do not think that the death penalty will frighten off every murderer (particularly those with mental health issues and the like), I do feel that it is certainly a more intimidating (and just) punishment for one of the crimes that I outlined above than a spell in jail (which offers a chance of redemption, and above all, escape from the consequences of actions committed). I feel that a society that believes it can redeem evil is not one which holds civilised values, but instead one that is thoroughly weak and feeble in the face of that evil. The death penalty (which, if you are a Christian, also hastens the criminals divine judgement) stands for a robust approach towards evil, and I think that it is an essential part of being a civilised person to uphold this robust attitude towards rapists, certain murderers and those who are treasonous.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:46 AM »

So how would you explain that Europe has MUCH lower rates of violent crimes than America even though we don't use the penalty you believe criminals fear most?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »

Deterrence does not work, particularly not for the sort of crimes that were traditionally punished by death.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

Suport only for premeditated murders with aggravated circumstances, where there is absolutely certainty you have in hand the right guy - the guy who actually did the heinous act.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »

All European countries, except of Belarus, has done away with the death penalty, not just West.

Just sayin'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »

All European countries, except of Belarus, has done away with the death penalty, not just West.

Just sayin'.

True. You guys are uncivilized for other reasons. Tongue
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »

So how would you explain that Europe has MUCH lower rates of violent crimes than America even though we don't use the penalty you believe criminals fear most?
most studies i've seen on the matter indicate that the death penalty does have some deterrent effect (e.g. mocan, 2006). personally, i support the death penalty. in fact my position on this is pretty much what cassius just posted assuming he isn't just trolling you all. my main problem with it is that killers wait so long on death row and cost the tax payers so much with their unnecessary appeals that we might as well not have one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 03:29:05 AM »

most studies i've seen on the matter indicate that the death penalty does have some deterrent effect (e.g. mocan, 2006). personally, i support the death penalty. in fact my position on this is pretty much what cassius just posted assuming he isn't just trolling you all. my main problem with it is that killers wait so long on death row and cost the tax payers so much with their unnecessary appeals that we might as well not have one.

So you're suggesting America's murder rate would be even higher than it already is without the death penalty?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies