Rick Perry loses bet, pays Bobby Jindal 100 pounds of brisket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:12:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rick Perry loses bet, pays Bobby Jindal 100 pounds of brisket
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rick Perry loses bet, pays Bobby Jindal 100 pounds of brisket  (Read 5481 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »

Texas might decide in the future to join the SEC and be relevant in college football again, so while Texas A&M is the only relevant university in Texas now, there's no reason to think that condition will be permanent.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

[/quote]
Since when is being number nine important in collegiate sports?

Unlike Texas, there is no real chance that the SEC will ever invite Baylor to join.  I think they'd prefer to keep the 15th and 16th spots open for Texas and a one of the North Carolina schools.  Possibly the SEC will take a third Texas school if the Longhorns insist, I think they'd take the Red Raiders with them rather than the Bears.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »

Why would the SEC want Texas in the first place?  Texas's greed killed the Southwest Conference and almost killed the Big 12.  Would Texas even agree to the equal SEC TV revenue sharing?  Doubt it.  Plus, Texas has spent decades mocking the SEC for its academics (even though the SEC is academically superior to the Big 12 -- really, look at the UNSWR rankings).

Virginia Tech and a North Carolina school are very likely to be the next 2 schools the SEC adds, with West Virginia and Oklahoma (or maybe Oklahoma State, but a longshot) having some chance.  If the SEC decides to duplicate a state with expansion, it would be Florida State or a second Carolina school.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

Why would the SEC want Texas in the first place?  Texas's greed killed the Southwest Conference and almost killed the Big 12.  Would Texas even agree to the equal SEC TV revenue sharing?  Doubt it.

The SEC would want Texas because of the money it could bring to the table.  Of course Texas would have to be willing to share, since as you rightly point out, so along as Texas doesn't care to share, the SEC would be a fool to bring the Texas wold into the fold.  So far Texas has felt that it doesn't need to help its fellow conference partners in raising revenues in order to maximize its own revenues.  Texas has been content to be the big fish in a small pond rather than see if it could be a bigger fish in a big lake because it doesn't want to have to deal with other big fish, even tho they would still be smaller.

As for Virginia Tech, the way the TV rights have been negotiated, neither it nor any of the ACC teams will likely be leaving any time soon.  If the SEC gets a North Carolina school any time soon it'll have to be Appalachian State or East Carolina.  Both are adequate choices if the SEC feels it must expand to 16 schools and expand its footprint at the same time, but I don't see that happening for at least another decade.

If any conference needs to expand it's the Big 12 (who are only 10).  If I were the Big 12 commissioner and could pick any four mid-major schools to add to bring the conference up to 14, I'd pick Houston, Tulane, Memphis, and Cincinnati from the American. (If West Virginia leaves the Big 12 for a conference that makes better geographic sense, I wouldn't add Cincinnati, and go after BYU and UTEP to bring the conference up to 14.)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »

Texas might decide in the future to join the SEC and be relevant in college football again, so while Texas A&M is the only relevant university in Texas now, there's no reason to think that condition will be permanent.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Since when is being number nine important in collegiate sports?

Unlike Texas, there is no real chance that the SEC will ever invite Baylor to join.  I think they'd prefer to keep the 15th and 16th spots open for Texas and a one of the North Carolina schools.  Possibly the SEC will take a third Texas school if the Longhorns insist, I think they'd take the Red Raiders with them rather than the Bears.

What does Texas Tech bring to the table that Baylor doesn't? Baylor has more Big 12 conference titles in more sports than Tech does. Baylor has a better academic reputation than Tech does. Baylor brings the same media markets that Tech does. If you're going to say that it doesn't belong in that conference because it's too small and it's private, then what business does Vanderbilt have being in the SEC?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »

If the SEC gets a North Carolina school any time soon it'll have to be Appalachian State or East Carolina.  Both are adequate choices if the SEC feels it must expand to 16 schools and expand its footprint at the same time, but I don't see that happening for at least another decade.

The SEC would never, ever, ever, ever add East Carolina or Appalachian State, period.  Never ever ever.  Even if one of them wins the playoff one year (which won't happen either, but is theoretically possible), those programs will never have enough TV pull or general relevance to even be considered.

I agree that the current ACC contract situation makes it unlikely that ACC team will be jumping ship in the next few years, but longterm, the SEC wants to have a prescence in Virginia and North Carolina, and it won't be for some irrelevant program.  There might be situations in which adding Texas makes financial sense, but I don't see how they ever get the votes.  Plus I don't see Texas ever "lowering" itself to join the SEC, no matter what the financials say.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »

Unlike Texas, there is no real chance that the SEC will ever invite Baylor to join.  I think they'd prefer to keep the 15th and 16th spots open for Texas and a one of the North Carolina schools.  Possibly the SEC will take a third Texas school if the Longhorns insist, I think they'd take the Red Raiders with them rather than the Bears.

What does Texas Tech bring to the table that Baylor doesn't? Baylor has more Big 12 conference titles in more sports than Tech does. Baylor has a better academic reputation than Tech does. Baylor brings the same media markets that Tech does. If you're going to say that it doesn't belong in that conference because it's too small and it's private, then what business does Vanderbilt have being in the SEC?

If they were building the SEC from scratch today, I'd agree with you.  It would have been interesting had Vanderbilt been successful in starting the Magnolia Conference, but the other Southern Ivies didn't want to because it would interfere with existing rivalries or cost them money.  However Vanderbilt is in the SEC and also it is located in a far larger metro area than Baylor.

As for why TT over Baylor, here's why.  First off, when Texas was discussing moving to the Pac with OU and OSU, it was TT that was in the mix then.  Second, Baylor is in a small metro area which is a hop skip and a jump from A&M which is already in the SEC.  Third, Baylor has by SEC standards a puny stadium.  Even the Red Raiders have a smallish one by SEC standards, but both Baylor's existing stadium and the new one that it is building would have the second smallest capacity in the SEC if Baylor were to join. (Only Vanderbilt's is smaller, and I agree that if the SEC were being built from scratch it wouldn't belong in the SEC.)

Oh, and Harry, I agree that ECU and ASU are unlikely to ever join the SEC, and they certainly won't both join. Even then it'll happen only if the SEC feels it absolutely must get to 16 teams, no matter who they have to add, and if it's in that situation, it will have to be taking in teams from the mid-majors, since the other major conferences will be expanding as well.  A forced SEC expansion would most likely involve ECU and one of FAU/FIU/UCF/USF (Adding two Florida mid-majors while possible is highly unlikely.)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies