Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:15:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance  (Read 1364 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2013/11/22/video-nevada-prostitutes-loooooove-obamacare/

The right's war on women continues, I guess.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Republicans are just afraid of the competition about who's going to fleece more money from the rich patrons.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

How can Americans be punished for having sex if the government is taking steps to control the spread of diseases? Why don't liberals understand that people who have sex deserve a slow, painful death from syphilis. It's what our loving God intended.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

Utterly disgusting.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

To the extent that getting an STD is more likely when working in a legal sex industry job, I fail to see how it's any more "outrageous" than allowing coal miners to buy insurance that will cover black lung disease when if they simply got a different job their black lung risk would be nonexistent.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »

If they didn't have access to healthcare before, it's because the market would not support it (and it's pretty clear why).  You can argue that this is a market failure that the government should correct, but if the GOP is concerned about how Obamacare will affect insurance companies (and in turn insurance purchasers), their concerns and "outrage" are quite logical here.  If you have too many high-risk insureds purchasing insurance without enough low-risk insureds also purchasing insurance, insurance companies will lose, rather than make money, resulting in, eventually, substantially less people who are insured.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »

If they didn't have access to healthcare before, it's because the market would not support it (and it's pretty clear why).  You can argue that this is a market failure that the government should correct, but if the GOP is concerned about how Obamacare will affect insurance companies (and in turn insurance purchasers), their concerns and "outrage" are quite logical here.  If you have too many high-risk insureds purchasing insurance without enough low-risk insureds also purchasing insurance, insurance companies will lose, rather than make money, resulting in, eventually, substantially less people who are insured.
And that's why we have the individual mandate. So it's not just high risk people. But the Republicans think that's tyranny Roll Eyes
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »

And that's why we have the individual mandate. So it's not just high risk people. But the Republicans think that's tyranny Roll Eyes

But the individual mandate will only work if the tax for not getting insurance is more than the cost of getting insurance, which it's not.  The individual mandate has no teeth, rendering it largely ineffective.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »

But the individual mandate will only work if the tax for not getting insurance is more than the cost of getting insurance, which it's not.  The individual mandate has no teeth, rendering it largely ineffective.
That logic implies that the value of insurance is zero, when it's obviously worth something. Not only do you get to bypass the fine, you also get insurance. But having every individual go out and buy their own insurance policy from private companies is obviously the worst way to try for universal coverage. You'll get no argument from me on that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »

That logic implies that the value of insurance is zero, when it's obviously worth something. Not only do you get to bypass the fine, you also get insurance. But having every individual go out and buy their own insurance policy from private companies is obviously the worst way to try for universal coverage. You'll get no argument from me on that.

Sorry, I should have said that the fee has to be more than (the cost of insurance minus the current benefit of having insurance).  But for many people, the immediate benefit of having insurance is nothing or very little (maybe the cost of a yearly physical, and we can even throw in blood work just to inflate the costs).  So you're talking about a fee of $95, which is clearly less than even the cheapest of insurance plans.  If we even assume you can find a $100/month plan that somehow has no copays, the most that someone is saving when they only go for a physical once a year is $500.  So you're still talking about trying to incentivize someone to spend $700 when the cost of not doing so is $95.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

This reminds me of someone online who said something to the effect of, "Well I'm not getting insurance because I can just pay the fine which is half as much as the insurance is so THERE! HARUMPH!" Because paying x to get absolutely nothing and then pay for your healthcare out of pocket makes so much more sense than just paying 2x and the $15 co-pay to see the doctor when you need to.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

This reminds me of someone online who said something to the effect of, "Well I'm not getting insurance because I can just pay the fine which is half as much as the insurance is so THERE! HARUMPH!" Because paying x to get absolutely nothing and then pay for your healthcare out of pocket makes so much more sense than just paying 2x and the $15 co-pay to see the doctor when you need to.

I don't know of anywhere that you can get insurance for two times the cost of the fee (which would equate to about $16/month).  If you don't regularly go to a doctor and you can't be denied insurance for a preexisting condition, and you're short on cash and have little expectation of needing insurance in the near future, choosing to live uninsured is a logical decision.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »

It's a fee of $95 or 1% of your taxable income, whichever is higher. For most people, 1% of your income is higher, in many cases considerably so.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »

It's a fee of $95 or 1% of your taxable income, whichever is higher. For most people, 1% of your income is higher, in many cases considerably so.

Yes, you're correct.  When I did the math, I was thinking that'd be someone making $95,000... I missed a zero somewhere in my head.  But my point still even if we get to the penalty being $285.  Assuming our scenario earlier, the penalty of $285 is still significantly lower than the $700.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »

Not only is the expected value of health insurance higher than one doctor visit per year (even if you don't get sick every year, you will in many years), most people are risk averse and would consider the utility of having health insurance to be higher than the mathematical expected value -- car wrecks, appendix bursts, cancers, etc., can easily run up bills into the hundreds of thousands, so even though the probability of those events are pretty low, you still want to cover yourself.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

Not only is the expected value of health insurance higher than one doctor visit per year (even if you don't get sick every year, you will in many years), most people are risk averse and would consider the utility of having health insurance to be higher than the mathematical expected value -- car wrecks, appendix bursts, cancers, etc., can easily run up bills into the hundreds of thousands, so even though the probability of those events are pretty low, you still want to cover yourself.

Oh, absolutely most people are; however, "most" may not be sufficient to support the insurance industry.  I knew several people who chose not to buy insurance pre-Obamacare; with the ban on denials for preconditions, the motivation to do so will only increase.

As for car wrecks, 13 states (including Michigan) require auto insurers to provide Personal Protection Insurance (aka Personal Injury Protection or PIP) for insureds, rendering that unexpected risk moot in the health insurance debate.  As for cancer, someone could get insurance when they learned of the cancer; granted, their premiums will be higher, but based on cancer prevalence data from 2010 (last year I could find), prevalence in the U.S. is around 4.2%.  When you multiply the increase in premiums by a mere 4.2%, cost-benefit analysis will often produce a result that says that, factoring in the probabilities, it would be better for someone who has little-to-no yearly medical costs to wait until he is diagnosed with cancer before deciding to buy insurance.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Your premiums won't be any different from having cancer or not having cancer -- one of the major pieces of the ACA.  The only acceptable rate variations for the same coverage would are age, location, tobacco status, and number of people on the policy.

You'd also have trouble getting insurance immediately if you were diagnosed with cancer.  If it happened to be during one of the open enrollment periods (25% chance), and very late in said period so that the effective date of the insurance were only a couple weeks ago, you might could pull it off, but it would take some very fortunate timing.  Of course, if you're uninsured, you probably aren't going to be getting cancer screenings and you won't know you have it until it's about to kill you.

As for car wrecks, I'm not really familiar with PIP, but I don't think that's required in Mississippi.  Not to mention 40% of Mississippi drivers are uninsured (at least according to my agent), and I'd wager that the majority of those don't have health insurance either.

Are your friends ineligible for subsidies?  If they are eligible, then the price of their insurance should be much lower in a post-ACA environment.  If they make enough to be ineligible, surely they don't have a job that doesn't provide insurance?  And if they're one of the rare people who  makes above 400% FPL but doesn't have a job that provides insurance, don't they make enough money that they can easily afford individual premiums?  Something just doesn't add up here...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

Your premiums won't be any different from having cancer or not having cancer -- one of the major pieces of the ACA.  The only acceptable rate variations for the same coverage would are age, location, tobacco status, and number of people on the policy.
In that case (and I'm not sure of the exact way the preexisting condition rules work, that would only support my proposition.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Michigan, and some other PIP states, require insurance for all drivers.  Again, it's not that all people would do what I'm saying.  It's just that for this to work, enough balance has to exist.  I think the current tax is too low.  I would have pushed for making it higher (given that the alternative of repeal/defund is an unrealistic pipe dream).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I honestly don't know the answers to those questions.  None of them are "friends"; they're more casual acquaintances who I've debated health care reform with.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

The individual mandate penalty also increases each year; the $95 or 1% of income is just for 2014.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

I don't see any outrage by anyone anywhere in the article, video or even comments to the article.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »

The individual mandate penalty also increases each year; the $95 or 1% of income is just for 2014.

Even by 2016 it maxes out at $695 for many individuals (or $2,085 as a maximum).  Even $695 wouldn't be enough of an incentive under my scenario earlier, and that was assuming a monthly premium of only $100, which is a VERY low premium.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2013, 08:28:59 PM by Meeker »

Even by 2016 it maxes out at $695 for many individuals (or $2,085 as a maximum).  Even $695 wouldn't be enough of an incentive under my scenario earlier, and that was assuming a monthly premium of only $100, which is a VERY low premium.

Ok... some people will make that conclusion, but your original claim was that the mandate has "no teeth". That's obviously untrue unless you believe penalties that large will have absolutely no effect on consumer behavior, which is a conclusion any serious healthcare economist would disagree with. Sure not everyone will end up buying insurance, but that was never the intention of the individual mandate. It was to drive enough people in to the state/federal exchanges to keep them profitable. You can claim that the penalties aren't stiff enough to do so, but most people who deal with this stuff for a living would disagree (including the insurance companies), and the only way to really know for sure is to wait a year or two.

Also, if you really have friends who are opting out of health insurance because of the ban on denying insurance for a preexisting condition, they're woefully misinformed. There's a set enrollment period for that very reason. If you don't have health insurance come May 2014 and you get badly injured or develop some sort of awful disease, you can't just enroll in one of the exchanges.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »

Ok... some people will make that conclusion, but your original claim was that the mandate has "no teeth". That's obviously untrue unless you believe penalties that large will have absolutely no effect on consumer behavior, which is a conclusion any serious healthcare economist would disagree with. Sure not everyone will end up buying insurance, but that was never the intention of the individual mandate. It was to drive enough people in to the state/federal exchanges to keep them profitable. You can claim that the penalties aren't stiff enough to do so, but most people who deal with this stuff for a living would disagree (including the insurance companies), and the only way to really know for sure is to wait a year or two.

Also, if you really have friends who are opting out of health insurance because of the ban on denying insurance for a preexisting condition, they're woefully misinformed. There's a set enrollment period for that very reason. If you don't have health insurance come May 2014 and you get badly injured or develop some sort of awful disease, you can't just enroll in one of the exchanges.

No teeth was an understatement.  Obviously even a penny is some amount of "teeth".  My point was that I don't think it has enough teeth, even when the penalties have increased.  We won't know for sure for at least another 2-3 years.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »

Starting the penalty small is so stupid. Whenever a system is new, you want to set expectations immediately. When a new highway opens, the police don't ignore it the first week. They flood the road with speed traps, so people know they have to follow the rules.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies