Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:34:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance  (Read 1413 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »

Not only is the expected value of health insurance higher than one doctor visit per year (even if you don't get sick every year, you will in many years), most people are risk averse and would consider the utility of having health insurance to be higher than the mathematical expected value -- car wrecks, appendix bursts, cancers, etc., can easily run up bills into the hundreds of thousands, so even though the probability of those events are pretty low, you still want to cover yourself.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Your premiums won't be any different from having cancer or not having cancer -- one of the major pieces of the ACA.  The only acceptable rate variations for the same coverage would are age, location, tobacco status, and number of people on the policy.

You'd also have trouble getting insurance immediately if you were diagnosed with cancer.  If it happened to be during one of the open enrollment periods (25% chance), and very late in said period so that the effective date of the insurance were only a couple weeks ago, you might could pull it off, but it would take some very fortunate timing.  Of course, if you're uninsured, you probably aren't going to be getting cancer screenings and you won't know you have it until it's about to kill you.

As for car wrecks, I'm not really familiar with PIP, but I don't think that's required in Mississippi.  Not to mention 40% of Mississippi drivers are uninsured (at least according to my agent), and I'd wager that the majority of those don't have health insurance either.

Are your friends ineligible for subsidies?  If they are eligible, then the price of their insurance should be much lower in a post-ACA environment.  If they make enough to be ineligible, surely they don't have a job that doesn't provide insurance?  And if they're one of the rare people who  makes above 400% FPL but doesn't have a job that provides insurance, don't they make enough money that they can easily afford individual premiums?  Something just doesn't add up here...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies