Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Right-wingers OUTRAGED that prostitutes are allowed to buy health insurance  (Read 1387 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: November 25, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

To the extent that getting an STD is more likely when working in a legal sex industry job, I fail to see how it's any more "outrageous" than allowing coal miners to buy insurance that will cover black lung disease when if they simply got a different job their black lung risk would be nonexistent.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

If they didn't have access to healthcare before, it's because the market would not support it (and it's pretty clear why).  You can argue that this is a market failure that the government should correct, but if the GOP is concerned about how Obamacare will affect insurance companies (and in turn insurance purchasers), their concerns and "outrage" are quite logical here.  If you have too many high-risk insureds purchasing insurance without enough low-risk insureds also purchasing insurance, insurance companies will lose, rather than make money, resulting in, eventually, substantially less people who are insured.
And that's why we have the individual mandate. So it's not just high risk people. But the Republicans think that's tyranny Roll Eyes

But the individual mandate will only work if the tax for not getting insurance is more than the cost of getting insurance, which it's not.  The individual mandate has no teeth, rendering it largely ineffective.

This reminds me of someone online who said something to the effect of, "Well I'm not getting insurance because I can just pay the fine which is half as much as the insurance is so THERE! HARUMPH!" Because paying x to get absolutely nothing and then pay for your healthcare out of pocket makes so much more sense than just paying 2x and the $15 co-pay to see the doctor when you need to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies