Opinion of Missionary Dating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:31:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Missionary Dating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Missionary Dating
Positive

Negative

wtf

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Missionary Dating  (Read 2746 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
« edited: November 29, 2013, 03:56:45 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Ugh, really?  You devoted sixty-nine words to pointing out an iPhone autocorrect error?

It took me about a minute to write, and grammar is a subject that interests me and that I care a lot about. You're the one who apparently bothered counting.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Clearly somebody who actually is religious is going to be more invested in it than somebody who's willfully and vocally ignorant about the subject, yes. Caring about something less than somebody else does not automatically make you the smart or mature or interesting one, and it's frustrating because on other subjects you don't seem to think that it does--although if you do think that it might explain why you don't respect Star Trek fandom.

_____

Okay, afleitch, I'm going to get into this in some detail. This might be a little disjointed because I had a glass of white wine and am coming into this religious debate with you straight off a political debate with my great-uncle, but here's a try:

Before we begin I’d like to observe that the arguments that I make and positions that I take intellectually, academically, and philosophically in some respects differ from my actual personal beliefs. As you’ve noted, my personal religious beliefs are barely prevented from plumbing the depths of traditionalist conservative High Anglicanism by the fact that I and most of my close friends are queer; my academic and philosophical positions tend to be more pluralist and multiculturalist and in some sense subjective. I don’t view this as dishonesty on my part; I consider that different arguments and perspectives are called for in different registers of discourse. Precisely because I don’t view this or want this to come across as dishonest, while I’ll generally be hewing to the academic to the best of my ability for purposes of this discussion, I’ll try to make note of points in which my intellectual view and my subjective personal view are different, in situations in which it might not be obvious.

First let me say that I’m sorry if I misrepresented what you were claiming the empiricist position was in my response to Joe above. I can’t say I’m particularly sorry for the rest of that since I find his way of talking about these issues egregiously ignorant and patently offensive and only regret my apparent inability to resist the temptation to respond in kind, but for any misrepresentation or miscommunication of your position I’m sincerely sorry.

That aside, I definitely think that there’s merit to your idea of those two types of people, those of religious/superstitious inclination and those of rational/empiricist inclination; it’s a little hard for me to fully accept it (or, rather, to fully integrate it) on theological terms, as is probably obvious, but as a psychological distinction I think it’s valid and useful and when you originally advanced this idea a while back I found it very interesting. What I think is important about this especially is to establish that at least in my view it isn’t necessarily different experiences that are being apprehended, just different ways of understanding those experiences. This might seem obvious but I feel the need to state it to clarify that I am not, at least in this sense, a postmodernist; I think that God actually exists and that the world that people actually live in is more or less the same for everyone. (This is my persona/theological position.) I am, however (and this is my intellectual/academic position), in a position of entertaining suspicion as to whether, different people’s experiences being what they are and people in general being what they are, it’s possible for either empirical or rational observation to fully explore certain areas of psychology and--especially--metaphysics. For me, taking the realist position makes things more woolly and subjective than they would be otherwise, not less, because we can't simply say that two people have different perspectives because they live in literally different worlds, but I'm also reluctant to discount or denigrate people's self-accounts of their experiences and perspectives--call it the intellectual influence of William James. (This position isn’t only some sort of weapon to deploy against secular humanism; it’s also soured me considerably on a lot of the traditional arguments for the existence of God and in general a lot of Catholic theology to which I’d otherwise be more than sympathetic.) This affects how I interpret some of the ideas that you bring up further down in your post, in ways that I will get to in a minute.

(N.B. I’m not particularly proud of the above paragraph and hope it makes an adequate amount of sense.)

You’re absolutely right that it’s a lot easier to make this interpretation square with a secular worldview than a spiritual one, all things being equal, because secular worldviews do tend not to be as exclusionary in the realm of ethics (although I’d argue that there’s little to no marked difference between secular and spiritual worldviews in general when it comes to being exclusionary about epistemology or metaphysics. There are of course exceptions to this.)  This is why I say that this psychological insight is as a psychological insight not one that I would argue against but is hard to navigate in terms of Christian theology without admitting a more relativist or postmodernist understanding than I am entirely comfortable with. This isn’t to say that I think that acknowledging it is dangerous to my Christianity in its fundaments—I would guess that you don’t consider having these sorts of conversations to present much challenge or danger to your atheism, and I don’t think they do to my Christianity either, even though I’m easily offended and get really prickly and defensive sometimes—but it’s worth admitting.

We indeed are probably going to have to part company on the question of whether or not secondhand, cultural or doctrinal, religious experience should be subject to the same or greater skepticism as claimed direct mystical experiences. I do place a somewhat higher premium on questions of social functioning and function than a lot of people do—hence the parenthetical digression in my response to Joe about how even if somebody may technically be ‘hallucinating’ questioning their mental health may not be the best way to go interpreting their experience or behavior—and so the fact that most people don’t really venture beyond a culturally engrained understanding is one that my first instinct, speaking academically or philosophically, is to be a pragmatist about. (Again, this isn’t speaking theologically, but…) What does it matter if Chiyoko may see Kannon-bosatsu descend to her where Alizon may see the Blessed Virgin? Does the fact of that difference, in and of itself, affect the truth value of either? I don’t want to get into some sort of speculative sub-Jungian analysis here but; that’s not the sense in which I’m asking that question; but I think that in this respect religious and mystical experiences are valuable in part precisely as cultural artifacts--and yes, I'm aware that this is one of the positions of mine that unavoidably approaches a sort of vaguetheistic multiculturalism-for-its-own-sake way of thinking that I prefer to avoid whenever possible but sometimes find myself unable to. In other words I don’t really consider that this is different from the problem of religious pluralism in general, on which I’ve in the past taken a position similar to the honji-suijaku-setsu but am currently less than sure about my precise theological opinion--and since this is a question of pluralism, my theological positioning and academic positioning are going to be independently staked out here more so than almost anywhere else, even if they're not hugely different.

One point where I do have to take issue with what you’re saying is this idea that ascribing the neurological processes that you describe—accurately, I can only assume, and a cursory Google search seems to indicate that you do have a pretty good understanding of this subject—to supernatural or divine manifestations is ‘plagiaristic’. While that’s an understandable position to take, it isn’t going to make much sense or do much to deter the stance of someone who has a notion of an immanent Godhead. By this I mean that if somebody’s mental orientation inclines them to perceive divine powers active in the world, then the fact that the way their visions work mechanically speaking can be ascribed to (for instance) action of their optic nerves shouldn’t, in principle, deter them from thinking that semantically or spiritually speaking it can be ascribed to a god or a saint or a buddha. (It’s understandable why it might anyway, but I don’t think that in principle it should.) There’s an ignominious god-of-the-gaps sort of assumption that I see behind the thinking of people who believe that their religious interpretations of things will be invalidated if those things also have scientific explanations. It’s great that you have such an interested and positive relationship with the idea of the fundamental simplicity of your own consciousness but this does, I think, come back to the point that you made earlier on about the religious/superstitious v. rational/empirical distinction. For somebody hardwired for religion/superstition I don’t think that scientific explanations, even if they are acknowledged and accepted as fact, should be particularly damaging to interpretations derived from that hardwiring, except perhaps in the cases of specific myths regarding ancient history or prehistory. So in that sense I’m with the late Stephen Jay Gould on this, although coming from the opposite side of the divide.

Okay, that’s all I have to say on this subject for now. I hope all of that made sense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »

Somebody pontificating about this subject who doesn't know what the 'road to Damascus' refers to is rich.

One doesn't need to have seen (or even heard about) every episode of Star Trek, for instance, to be able to ridicule the whole thing (and it's ardent fans, for that matter).

What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus is a significant enough event that I would expect that anyone who has even a passing familiarity with Christianity to catch the allusion.  Indeed, the only event recounted in the whole New Testament that is indisputably more important than the Road to Damascus is the Crucifixion of Jesus.  (I'd personally place several other episodes as more important than Paul's conversion, but I wouldn't say that those who disagree with me on that point are idiots and fools.)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 10:03:06 AM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 10:13:18 AM by afleitch »

Okay, afleitch, I'm going to get into this in some detail. This might be a little disjointed because I had a glass of white wine and am coming into this religious debate with you straight off a political debate with my great-uncle, but here's a try:

This is only my third Thanksgiving and i've yet to learn that I ought to let the food coma do it's thing!

I don't think what you have argued is disjointed at all. Whether or not my own theory has any traction, atheists still have the easier stance to take by simply saying that there isn't a god. That's all that's really required. If you start to postulate that there is (and I have respect for deism until it starts to structure itself around set concepts) then things become intrinsically more difficult as the world and all it's religious difference attests.

Whether or not my theory has any traction and there is a god, I see no particular disadvantage to me in not subscribing to that belief. If I think of myself, I much prefer people not to know about me than to know about me but misinterpret who I am. Furthermore I would prefer people to not know about me than to assume what my desires are then try to fulfill them in my name. One shouldn't assume a personable creator god is going to hand out brownie points for getting the idea right but not the execution and then create a bigger distance between itself and the people who don't believe that it exists or care to think about it.

So I see no loss to myself in that regard. Part of that is rooted in my own position that I care about myself after my death as much as I care about myself before I was conceived. Which is of course very little (though I am actually more intrigued by the latter)

On the matter of 'plagiarism', I would agree that I cannot say to an individual that it is wrong of them to attest a material interaction with the world as having no 'spiritual' merit particularly as spiritualism itself is not the exclusive domain of the supernatural; one can obtain succour from anything he or she experiences. Why is the act of the refraction of light when sun disappears behind the horizon 'beautiful'? for example? Very recent (as in it's on the interwebs this week) research seems to suggest that viewing things such as pictures of fluffy cats can assist in the learning experience (I'll need to try that!) so beauty seems to open up the pores a little when it comes to acknowledging what is around you. I guess in many ways I have grown to accept that I have quite a 'pagan-scientific' spiritualistic view of the world and my experiences on it without personifying the agents involved. A little digression there. What bad theology can do is to claim for the domain of god the morality of men. It can claim for god the goodness, the nuances, the theatre of human experience, for god as defined by god or given to us by god. That to me also divorces the human experience from the animal experience of which we are family and from which we have obtained many of these values. The tender and selfless love of a parent for a child is not exclusively human. As a 'value' it predates ourselves. Now of course for those who place god right at the very 'start' this doesn't jostle me as much as it would for those who are more literal in their interpretation of humanities beginnings. However what it can also do is to make exclusive to certain deity following humans universal concepts of morality. A believing Christian cannot, comparing like with like be more moral than a non Christian. Being Christian doesn't endow you with anything that a non Christian doesn't have access to in terms of making moral decisions or choices (indeed as practiced by some I feel it can close people off from the human experience by 'moralising' essentially neutral positions but that's a different discussion)That's what I mean by 'plagiarism'; certain forms of Christianity can condition people into thinking that non-Christians have some form of 'deficit' or no basis in their values when those values are often the same and derived from the same impulse.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

The jmcfst kinda sorta did that with his wife, IIRC  It's just weird.  I don't think he started dating her for that reason but it became mission #1 with him to convert her.
Odds are that his wife is cheating more than him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 01:51:15 AM »

Would it be wise for a tee-totaler marry an alcoholic to convert that person to sobriety? Would a classical music fan wisely marry a jazz aficionado to convert that person into a fan of classical music? Would a Red Sox fan wisely marry a Yankees fan to convert the spouse into a Red Sox fan? Or a dog-lover try to convince a cat-lover that dogs are wonderful and cats are monsters?

(OK, cats are the most vicious killers since T-Rex except perhaps for us humans -- the only two animals that seem to kill for the fun of it).

I can think of far wiser uses of potential affection, most notably to find someone compatible.   
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

I don't think it's wise for a Christian to date outside the faith. There are at least two references (Ephesians and Corinthians) where many evangelicals(I included) apply those verses with regards to dating. Personally I don't think dating as we know it properly prepares one for marriage.

This coming from a guy who got a no from a Baptist preachers daughter and sister because of my speaking in tounges.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »

I don't think it's wise for a Christian to date outside the faith. There are at least two references (Ephesians and Corinthians) where many evangelicals(I included) apply those verses with regards to dating. Personally I don't think dating as we know it properly prepares one for marriage.

This coming from a guy who got a no from a Baptist preachers daughter and sister because of my speaking in tounges.

Been there before, albeit over slightly different issues.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Been there before, albeit over slightly different issues.

Do I even need to mention of my epic fail with a missionaries daughter with a PhD (also a Baptist) (true story)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies