Mormon Bishop dresses up as homeless man to teach congregation about compassion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:34:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mormon Bishop dresses up as homeless man to teach congregation about compassion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mormon Bishop dresses up as homeless man to teach congregation about compassion  (Read 372 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865591437/Mormon-bishop-disguises-himself-as-homeless-man-to-teach-congregation-about-compassion.html?pg=all

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In light of Pope Francis being different from the average pope, I thought it was only fair to show an LDS leader trying to humanize the poor as well.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »

My immediate reaction to this story was of mixed feelings, simply as I acknowledge that we live in a society where we are discouraged from making serious communication with strangers, not because it's good to be rude per se, but because you don't really know who you can trust these days.  But in this particular case, the error can hardly be overlooked.  It takes little effort just to say hello to someone, poor or not, when they reach out to you to wish you a good holiday.  You don't even have to have a dime to give.  And while a strong part of me questions the wisdom of a bishop using public humiliation to teach people a moral lesson, I can certainly see why he did it, and I think you could replicate this experiment at any other church or congregation and get the same results.  At the end of the day, people are people, and we all make mistakes.  There is no exception to it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies