Important Announcement (Farmer Labor Party)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:30:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Important Announcement (Farmer Labor Party)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Important Announcement (Farmer Labor Party)  (Read 933 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »

Pittsburgh, PA

Recently I've had more time to think about thing, and my attention has turned to the party which I helped found and which I'm still a member of the, the Farmer Labor Party. I want to make the Party more democratic and with a greater say for ordinary members.
I've had a few talks with some other members of the Party about possible changes to the organisation and I'd like to thank them for their feedback.

I am proposing the following changes to the organisation of the Farmer Labor Party:

1. The Party will cease to use the Convention/Party Chairman system used by pretty much every other political party.
3. Instead of a Convention every four months, the Party will hold a Conference every two months (or every month if Conference votes for that option) which will vote on the party platform, party constitution, declarations, alliances, mergers, name changes etc. etc... and will also elect most of the Party office holders.
4. The current role of Chairman is effectively Treasurer. The title will be changed to reflect that fact. The position of Party Treasurer will be elected by Conference.
5. A Party Secretary, who will deal with the administrative side of things, will also be elected by Conference.
6. Regional Chairs will be elected by Conference (although only by members in said Region).
7. When Conference is not session, the Party will be represented by a National Executive Committee (NEC) comprised of five members; three elected by Conference, one from the Labor movement and one representing small businesses and farmers. The NEC will also act as a court to disipline wayward members.
8. All Senators belonging the the Party will be organised into the Senatorial Farmer Labor Party (SFLP) which will elect it's own leader.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:07:32 PM »

For the time being, will the Farmer-Labor Party give me a short description on what  they currently stand for?  I'll update it when you guys make your changes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 05:15:10 PM »

For the time being, will the Farmer-Labor Party give me a short description on what  they currently stand for?  I'll update it when you guys make your changes.

Progressive Populist, Democratic and Open, Pragmatic, Don't do wedge issues
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 08:57:05 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2005, 08:59:12 PM by TCash101 »

Progressive Populist, Democratic and Open, Pragmatic, Don't do wedge issues
So, by wedge, do you mean social? Does that mean the party takes no position on thee issues and the individual candidates can, or do you discourage candidates (and officeholders) from even taking positions. I mean, at a point, elected officials will have to take a position on the issues.

I like your ideas for the democratization of the party, but your comment on" wedge issues" makes me think the party isn't up to the task of protecting minority rights.

Whom do you see, from real life politics, as a good example of a Farmer-Labor candidate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 03:46:43 AM »

So, by wedge, do you mean social? Does that mean the party takes no position on thee issues and the individual candidates can, or do you discourage candidates (and officeholders) from even taking positions. I mean, at a point, elected officials will have to take a position on the issues.

I like your ideas for the democratization of the party, but your comment on" wedge issues" makes me think the party isn't up to the task of protecting minority rights.

From our platform:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically people in the party can take whatever positions they like (I've just signed a petition trying to abolish the death penalty in the MidEast for instance) but the party itself won't take positions on those issues.

I should add that ending discrimination is not seen as a wedge issue by us.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Party is modelled on late 19th/early 20th century populists/progressives, New Deal Democrats and various Labour parties in other countries.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 07:41:34 PM »

Al, how do you get through my goon squads...I mean the wonderful Pittsburgh Police? Smiley

How did they let him through? I gave them strict orders to keep him in West Virginia at all costs. That's the last time I trust the Police to do anything. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »

As an additional announcement, I'll be running for Party Secretary and for the Labor seat on the N.E.C.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 07:21:55 PM »

Is there something I'm not seeing that I should be?

The forum I'm using is farmerlabor.proboards41.com...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:30:09 AM »

I forgot to put it up there... Sad
It's there now though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length