opinion of amazon.com
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:18:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  opinion of amazon.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ....
great

average

poor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: opinion of amazon.com  (Read 2248 times)
kcguy
Romania

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

They violate one of my personal pet peeves.  They inundate me with spam.

I went into the office this morning to get a little work done after taking Thursday off.  I had 6 Amazon e-mails waiting for me and 2 work e-mails.  That's ridiculous.

Getting an e-mail at work usually means I have to stop what I'm doing and take the time to address an "opportunity" (or "problem", if you want to use non-corporate-buzzspeak language).  Entities who send frivolous e-mails should be shot.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »

Obviously I've never used the internet company, as I have never ordered any product or service over the internet.

There is an Amazon Coffee which is rather nice over here.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

With regards to their workers, all I can say is at least they have jobs to go to.

You really don't care how stupid people think you are, do you?

Fortunately this was said by you, and not by a serious person. So no's the answer.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »

But work is work. It's pretty hard to find jobs you'll enjoy out. I guess since most of the people on this board are college-educated and work white-collar jobs, we kinda forget that. We forget that for most people, this is reality(or something not as horrible).

Or some of us haven't got degrees and have worked unskilled jobs most of our working lives to recognise this horrible reality, and that your 'work is work' slogan can equally be extended to sweatshops.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

I'm quite excited for them to roll out same-day delivery in the coming years.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »

But work is work. It's pretty hard to find jobs you'll enjoy out. I guess since most of the people on this board are college-educated and work white-collar jobs, we kinda forget that. We forget that for most people, this is reality(or something not as horrible).

Or some of us haven't got degrees and have worked unskilled jobs most of our working lives to recognise this horrible reality, and that your 'work is work' slogan can equally be extended to sweatshops.

If I was a horrible blood-sucking CEO, sure.

I don't have a degree and have worked unskilled jobs either, but I can recognize that no matter how bad working for Amazon may be, it is not nearly comparable to the nightmare that is a 3rd-world sweatshop.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »

I don't have a degree and have worked unskilled jobs either, but I can recognize that no matter how bad working for Amazon may be, it is not nearly comparable to the nightmare that is a 3rd-world sweatshop.

...and being imprisoned is better than being executed. Best just accept it, then.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »

...and being imprisoned is better than being executed. Best just accept it, then.

That is not nearly comparable to the subject at hand.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »

That is not nearly comparable to the subject at hand.

Okay - as long as it's not the worst job in the world, it's fine.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 09:42:21 PM by Communists For McCain »

WOW SO TOTALLY SAGE GUISE!

I expect this is the part where you turn off your Apple laptop and go to Taco Bell in your Nike shoes congratulating yourself on your moral superiority in not using products made by companies that endlessly exploit their labor!

. . . . oh wait.

Yawn, it's not about feeling "morally superior", it's about condemning the very worst of business - and how it brazenly f**ks us over. You acknowledge the exploitative practices they've became known for in that very post, but apparently we're not allowed to, nor condemn it, because it seems we've still not earnt the right to criticise in your eyes until we undertake the frankly impossible task in avoiding buying from nearly all businesses - and I suppose working for them, and pissing away our leisure time on researching every business as if 'consumer-activism' is anything but a sham anyway, prescribed by people like you for its ability to chill and discredit opposition to what is a plainly awful state of events.

In short, if anyone's being an insufferable prick here, it's you.

I didn't accuse anybody of being a prick here.  ANd I acknowledge that's a bad tendency of mine, especially when people are acting like reactionary butthurts.

Also, I want to comment on how incredibly lame the whole "you don't believe we have a right to dispute something!" line is that is used all too often.  If I didn't believe you had a right to dispute something, I would've called the police and had your ass arrested, not insult your self conscious need to single out a single corporation for what is common practice (sad fact) in multi-billion dollar corporations.  I do admit, I buy stuff from amazon.com.  HOwever, I refuse to believe that I am being a monster just because I buy stuff off from it.  I am no more a monster than the hipster vegan morons who buy ultra expensive Apple Laptops.  Just saying.

I believe Tik really said it best[...]

As somebody who has worked at a Kohls backroom, Amazon doesn't sound so horrible.  We got fifteen minute breaks for dinner, which was very little time to go next door to get a Subway sandwich and be able to eat it.  If we were still in the breakroom after the fifteen minutes (which included us walking from the back of the store, out the front, and into the Subway or Dollar Store next door) the fascist managers would come out and throw a total bitchfit about it.  Even if it was a minute over.  Oh yes, there was also no climate control except for some sh*tty fans that were probably made in the 1980s.  The overnight supervisor's job was to pretty much walk around the store harassing you into being able to unload 50 boxes worth of merchandise per hour and being able to religiously tell where to place each item, even though they changed who went into what department each night.  Like Tik said, a robot would be nicer.  I don't remember getting offered to join any union.  Kohls loved firing people for being five minutes late (not kidding) and probably would actually deny somebody who was laid off unemployment benefits.
You call this "the worst of business", the sad fact is jack this is far from "worst".

So sorry that I am not sobbing sad about this one case with Amazon, it's an unfortunate reality.  Seriously, I wouldn't be surprise if among the big corporations Amazon actually has more favorable conditions in it's warehouses.  Which is really saying something about the status of working conditions in this country.  "Boycotting" is the ultimate in "feel good" demonstration in that it does little but to soothe the few socially conscious bourgeois who loudly promote their right to free speech, but really does little to actually force action.  Especially with a company like Amazon, which at the end of the day, would still be one of the cheapest places you could go to find things.  Demonstrations and marches for widespread government action on such disreputable practices would have more of an effect.  Sure, that's failed too, but which is more likely to actually benefit society as a whole?  One company reforming it's work environments because of a boycott, or HUNDREDS OF COMPANIES being forced into reform due to government laws that make their practices illegal?

[/steps off soap box]

Ironically, the only person here calling for boycotts is you, in your demand for us to quit all awful businesses before our criticism becomes legitimate. Oh and what was your point in that, then, if not to question our right to criticise? I thought I made it pretty clear in my post I believe consumer activism to be a joke usually recommended by right-wingers for its self-defeating qualities - so I don't know where you got the view/persecution-complex that I was calling people who shopped there monsters. I was merely calling a HC a HC and amazed that you and others are falling all over yourselves to refute, and defend it.

I haven't got a "self-conscious need" to single out one company - if there were documentaries, articles, and more crucially polls on here I'd recommend firebombing others too (I'm sceptical of business as a rule), and I'm all too aware it's the standard (although their tax avoidance isn't) - but funny how it's a-ok to acknowledge that on here but then if you make an anti-business statement you're mocked, with the usual remarks of 'SAGE'. It's very much of the cake and eating it sort.

Kohls sound more or less exactly what I've heard of Amazon, and I'd be quite happy to call that a HC and calling for action, but it strikes me I'd probably be in a minority in that too - because your defence has long since became, effectively, approval: witness the overwhelming 'great' vote (you probably voted for it yourself).

So how do you think - in this air of approval, apologism and apathy - this will help meaningful efforts to effectively pressurise action to tackle it? It won't, everyone's shrugging their shoulders and voting "fantastic". F**k the workers, essentially.

You know, I tried to explain this to you logically.  Instead, you've decided to stay in your precious little phonebooth glass of emotion and rage in your mad rush to twist and distort the vast majority of my post.  Which, from the rageorgasm tone of this post, probably feels good.

Note for instance, how this Great Orator has completely ignored the last part about putting the real focus where it belongs: on the governments that empower such companies to behave like this.  But of course, it's much easier for some of us to protest companies instead of countries and governments, and this is what we get.

When you feel like settling down and talking like a calm individual who read the last part about pressuring society to make drastic changes instead of assigning blatantly dishonest strawmen to my actual argument, I will engage in conversation with you.

Engage in boycotts if you want, be mad if you want.  Just know that there are better ways to do it.  Which really is the ultimate jerk point I was trying to make.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

I suppose you are chock full of insightful, specific methods to improve the working conditions of picking/packing jobs. Assuming you do, I still doubt it would break the nature of such work: methodical, efficiency-oriented drudgery. These jobs just suck if you aren't fond of that style of work. Your best bets are either to fully automate the processes (which can and has been done in many warehouses - look into how LEGO picks pieces for their products sometime) or to pay your workers a wage that accounts for the mental and physical impacts of such work. But, then, Amazon does offer above-average pay. Still low, but better than many. It's disingenuous and dishonest to single them out.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 11:37:28 PM by Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit »

You know, I tried to explain this to you logically.  Instead, you've decided to stay in your precious little phonebooth glass of emotion and rage in your mad rush to twist and distort the vast majority of my post.  Which, from the rageorgasm tone of this post, probably feels good.

Ha, no, you continued on in your usual tone, which you've clearly ramped up in this latest response, and I responded with a less forgiving tone. I at least took the time to read and respond to your arguments, and find it laughable you're accusing me of strawmen when you're still contending I advocate boycotts, having 'ragegasms' and think people shopping there are monsters.

Note for instance, how this Great Orator has completely ignored the last part about putting the real focus where it belongs: on the governments that empower such companies to behave like this.  But of course, it's much easier for some of us to protest companies instead of countries and governments, and this is what we get.

When you feel like settling down and talking like a calm individual who read the last part about pressuring society to make drastic changes instead of assigning blatantly dishonest strawmen to my actual argument, I will engage in conversation with you.

Note for instance, you've completely ignored my final paragraph, which addressed that: because after all we know our governments are full of reformers that are just itching to regulate business, and don't have to be pressured into it - and my point was the prevailing attitude - and one eminating from your posts - of acceptance is currently pissing all over any hopes of that. It doesn't even need to be said I hold our governments in contempt, but no-one's defending them here in contrast to all your apologism for Amazon.

Engage in boycotts if you want, be mad if you want.  Just know that there are better ways to do it.  Which really is the ultimate jerk point I was trying to make.

Sigh. And there we have it, proof you haven't read - or understood - any of my posts. Where have I called for a boycott?! The "better way to do it", relies on people actually being mad about it and not being massive apologists, but I understand, you clearly feel some sort of guilt from shopping there so are willing to join in defending it. Just know you're part of the problem, not the solution.

I suppose you are chock full of insightful, specific methods to improve the working conditions of picking/packing jobs. Assuming you do, I still doubt it would break the nature of such work: methodical, efficiency-oriented drudgery. These jobs just suck if you aren't fond of that style of work. Your best bets are either to fully automate the processes (which can and has been done in many warehouses - look into how LEGO picks pieces for their products sometime) or to pay your workers a wage that accounts for the mental and physical impacts of such work. But, then, Amazon does offer above-average pay. Still low, but better than many. It's disingenuous and dishonest to single them out.

Absolutely anything would be better than current conditions - allowing their workers to unionise; employing all their workers, rather than using agencies; higher wages; employing more workers/decreased work-load; longer breaks; climate control; not penalising people or not paying them when ill; getting rid/relaxing their ridiculous error system; remove their compulsory-overtime policy; stop avoiding tax so governments have more money to spend on their workers; just generally stop treating their workers like sh**t. Of course non of this will happen, because they're sociopathic capitalist scumbags solely concerned with how much they can get away with - and no, I haven't once singled them out - this is exactly what I've come to expect from business. The fact you think the monotomy of the work is what's at fault here, and that this sort of work is "for people", as if there's middle-class people rushing to it from other jobs and not the monolithically desperate working-class seeing any job better than unemployment (if not being forced into it by the Job Centre) just beggars belief.

Yes, actually. They are  recieving a living wage and decent benefits, and their workplaces are safe due to US labor laws.

lol What a joke, and US labour laws are in no way a guarantee of anything.

Despite Amazon's bad-cop management, this  not a return to the Gilded Age. They are not losing limbs, or being beaten, or wage slaves.

It's alright, I'll stop, it appears you're parodying yourself now, and frankly I give up banging my head against a wall. I've only bothered this long because you were people whose opinions I respected.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »

I still respect and enjoy reading your opinions. I just can't stress enough that despite the very good improvements you suggest (which are very broad and so are applicable for most blue collar jobs) that this work, as I said, sucks by its given nature. It's not for everyone or even most people, but it's still a very good thing that it is available to them! From personal experience I can say that I'd prefer working at an Amazon warehouse than sitting at a desk doing monotonous computer work. And I take offense at the idea that this work is not suitable for anyone.

Work is not the be-all end-all of life. I was quite happy to clock in and zone out. Mindless labour can actually be pretty zen. And then you've saved your mental energy for real, actual life that you can enjoy more with real money. Does the work suck? Yeah. I'd have been pretty fcked without it, though.

Hey, I absolutely will join you on the streets to bash corporate greed and poor working conditions when they matter. I have no love for those who take advantage of their employees and will fight for better wages and benefits. But that doesn't mean I think that work shouldn't be work.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »

My opinion diminished when they wouldn't let me keep free Amazon Prime when I stopped being a student, but still positive overall.

Yeah, I used to be able snatch up free trials all the time. It's a lot harder now. All I know is that I used to spend a lot more on Amazon when I had free Prime. (And it's not any better now that they require a $35 minimum for free shipping.) But overall, I'm still a big fan considering they have some of the best deals.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »

Pretty good online store, although the only thing I ever personally bought from there was several packs of Verbatim blank DVD+R discs. My mom bought some books from there over the years though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2013, 03:45:41 PM »

I can get stuff for cheap shipped to my house. What's not to like? I don't care at all about the shocking idea that some corporations might arguably have labour practices that make bourgeois me mildly uncomfortable.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »

Don't worry then, soon drones will run that whole business.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies