Opinion of people who describe themselves as "Socially Left, Fiscally Right"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of people who describe themselves as "Socially Left, Fiscally Right"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of people who describe themselves as "Socially Left, Fiscally Right"
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Opinion of people who describe themselves as "Socially Left, Fiscally Right"  (Read 3527 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

I voted ….

I'm thinking of upper-class social liberals that don't know they have the Libertarian option, or don't want to split their vote.

Libertarianism is not a real ideology.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 12:17:41 PM by Communists For McCain »

The people in this thread ought to consider that fiscal conservatives just might have reasons for their views other than a hatred of the poor.
The bigots voting HP don't care.  They've made up their mind.

Oh I don't think that "fiscal conservatives" hate the poor.  If there is anything that "fiscal conservatives" are guilty of, it's being naive.
Maybe, but to think they all are (or any specific one) is ignorant and bigoted.

Granted.

Some of them, like krazen and Bourbon Democrat, genuinely do hate poors.  And from personal experience, I think it's quite accurate to say that some fiscal conservatives, especially those who have never been laid off, are pretty naive about how some basic government functions help society.  Like our social safety nets for instance.

You can call that ignorant or bigoted because I dared comment on a mentality that is common amongst people who believe x thing, but I'm at least basing it on experience and not assuming the worst out of people.  Your line of thinking is pretty much an artful dodge, as it means that no matter what anybody says about fiscal conservatives, they are ignorant and bigoted.

I am not talking about blacks, Mexicans, Irish, Jews, Polish, English, Germans, or any other race or ethnicity (ie, things that people legitimately can't change).  These are political beliefs.  They shouldn't be excluded from being analyzed just because you have a problem with criticism.  I understand that you are too used to hearing about living in your mother's basement and playing WOW all day, so I'll just chalk this up to GENERIC RESPONSE SYNDROME.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »

Isn't Krazen a troll? I mean, I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually mean what he says, he's just trying to get people on here angry.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

This. It's really contradictory to hold views as such.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

Not to mention that being "socially left" is not the same thing as being "socially liberal." Those terms are not interchangeable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

So... You're supposed to ignore all other issues and let gay marriage be the only thing that influences your votes? Roll Eyes

Only if you support gay marriage. If you don't, you're supposed to ignore the issue so as not to "vote against your economic interests."
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »

My opinion is that they need to learn to use the label "classical liberal" instead, or start calling themselves libertarian if they live in the States and don't want to confuse people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »

Granted.

Some of them, like krazen and Bourbon Democrat, genuinely do hate poors.  And from personal experience, I think it's quite accurate to say that some fiscal conservatives, especially those who have never been laid off, are pretty naive about how some basic government functions help society.  Like our social safety nets for instance.

You can call that ignorant or bigoted because I dared comment on a mentality that is common amongst people who believe x thing, but I'm at least basing it on experience and not assuming the worst out of people.  Your line of thinking is pretty much an artful dodge, as it means that no matter what anybody says about fiscal conservatives, they are ignorant and bigoted.
I think you maybe reading more into my post than I put there.  Your post said
You must be logged in to read this quote.
which seemed to be agreeing with me that you can't judge an individual as a "hater of poors" just because they chose to label themselves an economic conservative.  I wasn't referring to your post.  I was talking about posts like
Libertarianism is not a real ideology.
But you're probably right about that last bit too.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »

My opinion is that they need to learn to use the label "classical liberal" instead, or start calling themselves libertarian if they live in the States and don't want to confuse people.

Classical liberals aren't the same thing as modern "libertarians" in the American sense, though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

So... You're supposed to ignore all other issues and let gay marriage be the only thing that influences your votes? Roll Eyes

Only if you support gay marriage. If you don't, you're supposed to ignore the issue so as not to "vote against your economic interests."

I've yet to hear a single good reason for why gay marriage should be opposed. It's one of the most cut-and-dry issues, unlike the federal budget or even other "social issues" like abortion (to some extent, I admit).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

How so?

Not to mention that being "socially left" is not the same thing as being "socially liberal." Those terms are not interchangeable.
Yeah, this is a good point. I know a good number of people who describe themselves as "socially progressive" or something like that, and they seem less interested in getting government out of social matters, and more interested in having government engineer society towards their own values.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »

Going with a blanket Libertarian perspective:

"i want people to have their rights and be free, but i don't really care if they're stuck making minimum wage while some people make billions"

To quote an Enter Shikari song (because that's soooo me) "freedom is not the choice between what job and what car..."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »

I've yet to hear a single good reason for why gay marriage should be opposed. It's one of the most cut-and-dry issues, unlike the federal budget or even other "social issues" like abortion (to some extent, I admit).

So you would vote for a pro-gay marriage right-winger over an anti-gay marriage economic progressive?  And anyone who wouldn't is being insulting?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »

With all the obvious exceptions (c.f. actual Nazis, etc) it's generally not a great idea to judge people entirely - or even mostly. Perhaps not at all? - by their political views. Though the political outlook described in this thread is, how shall we say, certainly not one of the more noble ones.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

"i want people to have their rights and be free, but i don't really care if they're stuck making minimum wage while some people make billions"

To quote an Enter Shikari song (because that's soooo me) "freedom is not the choice between what job and what car..."

I really don't want to have to paraphrase my Into to Poli Sci class...
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

You're assuming that all fiscons hold their views because they "really don't care" about the poor, which simply isn't true.

freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 02:43:06 PM by freefair »

I probably fit into this category, though in a pragmatic, softcore way. Even minarchism is too much for me, let alone Anarchism which I feel is an evil ideology down there with Fascism,  Communism, etc etc. I'm more like Joe Llhota or European style classical-liberals (Danish Ventre, VVD, FDP, OVLD, Lux DP)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »

FF's clearly.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

You're assuming that all fiscons hold their views because they "really don't care" about the poor, which simply isn't true.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »

That isn't contradictory.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »

FF's.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

This post is one big flaming strawman.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 05:22:48 PM by Deus naturae »

Well, I'm not so sure that an indifference towards poverty is a blanket Libertarian characteristic, but I'm not going to argue that since I really don't have enough data to back it up.

And I still don't see how the position you described would be contradictory. How does an individualist attitude towards economic issues ("I don't want my wealth to be redistributed by the government") contradict an individualist attitude towards social issues ("I don't want the actions of individuals to be restricted by the government")?

In fact, I'd say that there's a good argument to be made that they (economic and social freedom) are one and the same, as the second statement also encompasses economic issues.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »

Well, I'm not so sure that an indifference towards poverty is a blanket Libertarian characteristic, but I'm not going to argue that since I really don't have enough data to back it up.

And I still don't see how the position you described would be contradictory. How does an individualist attitude towards economic issues ("I don't want my wealth to be redistributed by the government") contradict an individualist attitude towards social issues ("I don't want the actions of individuals to be restricted by the government")?

I'm not saying it's contradictory in the sense that there is no continuity in wanting Government out of the life of the individual, I'm saying it's contradictory in the sense that caring about individual equality ends at economic equality. It's simply idiotic (imo) to support one's right to, say, smoke pot or own a firearm, but not one's right to live above the poverty line.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »

I'm not saying it's contradictory in the sense that there is no continuity in wanting Government out of the life of the individual, I'm saying it's contradictory in the sense that caring about individual equality ends at economic equality. It's simply idiotic (imo) to support one's right to, say, smoke pot or own a firearm, but not one's right to live above the poverty line.

Difference between positive rights and negative rights, etc. All that I have to say is plainly obvious and shouldn't need to be spelled out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies