Should schools teach classes about religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Should schools teach classes about religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should schools teach classes about religion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Should schools teach classes about religion?  (Read 2483 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »

By classes on religion I mean classes about religion, which point out differences between sects, etc.

Yes for me.

BTW, if the mods think this would be more appropriate in individual politics or elsewhere, please move! Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »

Of course.  Even if you don't have a religion, its impact on society and world history is indispensable.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:09:56 PM »

If a school has the money and is willing, that sounds like a useful class. Obviously it's not the best idea for every school.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »

It would make sense to talk about religion as a history/social studies type of class somewhere in the middle/high school years. A proper understanding of religion and its role in society is useful in understanding culture and politics in many different parts of the world.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »

Yes of course. I find it strange that many educated people often lack knowledge of basic Christian theology such as the differences between Catholicism and Protestant doctrine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

Yes of course. I find it strange that many educated people often lack knowledge of basic Christian theology such as the differences between Catholicism and Protestant doctrine.

It's not as if there is any tenet uniting Protestantism beyond the Pope is not the infallible leader of the Church on this Earth.  Maybe a general agreement to use the Masoretic OT canon instead of the Septuagint OT canon, which is odd since the NT quotes the Septuagint in several places where it disagrees with the Masoretic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »

At the very least there should be a class in high school that teaches students about all the major world religions, their major sects, and their histories.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »

At the very least there should be a class in high school that teaches students about all the major world religions, their major sects, and their histories.

Hate to empty quote.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

Definitely, if it's not picking winners and losers. I remember at my Christian school taking a class on other religions. It was one of the more interesting cases. Though, it was called "Cults Class" and a major section of each religion we discussed was "This is inferior to Protestantism because..."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 12:41:07 AM »

I was under the impression most "normal" High Schools did have a class or two on "Religions of the World".  Am I wrong?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:08:23 AM »

Yes.  But I don't trust American schools in executing the idea because religion means just Christianity right?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »

Yes.  But I don't trust American schools in executing the idea because religion means just Christianity right?

Don't forget the unrepentant Joos and the pagan Muslims! Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »

I can see how for some schools that might be the case, but it wasn't for my high school religion class.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »

From an archaeological / historical perspective, absolutely. And it should include myth-making and so on, definitions of religion, and so on. Interesting field of study, actually.

From a didactic perspective, absolutely not.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

If in addition to agnosticism, atheism, and the views of the area's indigenous peoples I suppose it would be a good idea. Given the composition of many school boards, state legislatures, and so on however I fully expect that a mandated class on world religion would in practice become one about Protestant Christianity while treating alternatives in lectures and discussions as mythology.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

Of course. Although when I say religion I really mean Catholicism.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »

Of course. Although when I say religion I really mean Catholicism.

It truly must be sad to live in your poor, sheltered little world.  I wonder, does it ever get lonely in that box of yours?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

I can see how for some schools that might be the case, but it wasn't for my high school religion class.

Same, and I went to a Catholic school. It seemed strange, but we did have a "World Religions" class that, when done by the book--which I think it was--covered the major religions equally.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

Yes, as long as its societal impact and influence, not adherence to a certain religion, as others have previously stated. I'm not sure if new classes should be required for it though. It could fit into basic history courses quite well, with an extracurricular focusing on religion.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

Only the most militant atheist/secularist would oppose this. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

I went to a public school, and while we didn't have a separate class dedicated to world religions, we did units several years learning the differences between the major ones, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. We also covered the Reformation in history class. It gave me an excuse to argue with all the Lutherans to general amusement of those standing by. Tongue

I do think kids need to be aware of the existence of religious beliefs and how they shape world cultures, though I don't necessarily think it needs to be a separate class.

Same, and I went to a Catholic school. It seemed strange, but we did have a "World Religions" class that, when done by the book--which I think it was--covered the major religions equally.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer... Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

I went to a public school, and while we didn't have a separate class dedicated to world religions, we did units several years learning the differences between the major ones, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. We also covered the Reformation in history class. It gave me an excuse to argue with all the Lutherans to general amusement of those standing by. Tongue

I do think kids need to be aware of the existence of religious beliefs and how they shape world cultures, though I don't necessarily think it needs to be a separate class.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer... Wink

What were the arguments about?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »

Define "about religion". Of course any decent history, sociology or philosophy classes can't avoid discussing religions and their impact. If you're talking about some Sunday School kind of thing, then absolutely not (in public schools at least).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »

It really ought to be no more controversial than teaching History (which, after all, is the most political of subjects and is therefore a reliable controversy magnet in certain countries, mine included). Obviously you don't want taught from an especially biased viewpoint (of either variety; 'this is the true faith', 'this is a load of nonsense', etc) but that's not actually hard to avoid.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »

Of course.  Even if you don't have a religion, its impact on society and world history is indispensable.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies