Should schools teach classes about religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:16:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should schools teach classes about religion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should schools teach classes about religion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Should schools teach classes about religion?  (Read 2488 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

I don't really think a dedicated class is the best idea for this sort of thing, but religion should be sprinkled throughout English, History, and Civics classes. Knowledge of the more memorable parts of the KJV is essential to studying Western thought IMO.

One of the annoying things about high school history classes is their tendency to gloss over religion and how it affects society, and it leads to an ineffective study of history. Mixing in a bit of religion should help with this problem.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »

Of course. Although when I say religion I really mean Catholicism.

It truly must be sad to live in your poor, sheltered little world.  I wonder, does it ever get lonely in that box of yours?

Well, I'll answer you. In a word, no. You see, I am perfectly well aware that the proportion of the population that holds similar political views to my own is tiny. I also don't lose much sleep over knowing that my reactionary views will never be implemented. Since I have the wonderful ability to segregate my political views from my dealings with other people, I have never really felt lonely. So no, I'm pretty content with my life, a life which is, by the standards of both historand the world today, an extremely privileged one.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »

It really ought to be no more controversial than teaching History (which, after all, is the most political of subjects and is therefore a reliable controversy magnet in certain countries, mine included). Obviously you don't want taught from an especially biased viewpoint (of either variety; 'this is the true faith', 'this is a load of nonsense', etc) but that's not actually hard to avoid.

Not in large swathes of the US.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »

I was under the impression most "normal" High Schools did have a class or two on "Religions of the World".  Am I wrong?

The one I go to doesn't, but the basics are covered in world history classes.
Space7
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »

This idea sounds okay in principle, but I'm not sure it would be constitutional.

Would you not have to teach about every religion that is practiced in the world today, including the very small ones? Otherwise the constitution might consider it favoritism.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 01:43:43 AM »

Qualification: that it must be even-handed.

The mass ignorance about other religions in America is just astonishing. Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in the same God. To be sure, the differences need be known, But in essence Judaism rejects Jesus, the Gospels, Mohammed, and the Koran as superfluous as the Torah and related teachings are adequate. Christianity  insists that God sent His Son to bring salvation to all humanity that would follow him -- as shown in the Gospels -- and that unlike Judaism and Islam, most Christian sects recognize a Trinity of God, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Islam recognizes the existence of the Torah and the Gospels but that Jews and Christians get them wrong, Mohammed as the Last of Prophets receiving God's Inspiration in the Qu'ran that neither Jews nor Christians accept. 

This is America, and America is the source of Mormonism, a Christian heresy that has the Book of Mormon as a guide to an appropriate life. We Americans might as well know about it because it is an important part of our history.

People need to know that religious heritage informs any culture, and that most of the moral questions of antiquity are answered in the successful modern religions. People should learn why religions have schisms, and that very different religions have generally come to similar rules of human conduct through different means. They also need to know the consequences of atheism and agnosticism.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »

Define "about religion". Of course any decent history, sociology or philosophy classes can't avoid discussing religions and their impact. If you're talking about some Sunday School kind of thing, then absolutely not (in public schools at least).
This. I'm pretty sure the OP means the former though.

Yes, although in general most social sciences cover religion anyway, no?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies