A Republican Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Republican Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Republican Hillary  (Read 725 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »

In this TL, Baker Hickland, a George W. Bush-esque President served two terms from 2000-2008.  His wife is Jane Hickland.  Jane was a very well-spoken, charismatic, but controversial First Lady because she was outspoken on the issue of abortion.  Strongly pro-life, Jane decided that when she became First Lady she was going to work to win the hearts and minds of Americans.  This divided the male political advisors in the Hickland administration: some liked the idea of Jane's activism, while others felt that she should be less of an activist.  The President publicly supported his wife and was urged by religious conservatives to make passage of a Human Life Amendment a top priority for the administration, but this was put aside when Baker Hickland became a war president and spent the rest of his administration on defense, national security, and foreign policy issues.

In 2004, in a tough reelection race, Jane Hickland gave a very well-reviewed speech called "To America's Daughters" at the Republican Convention, which was themed around her passionate outspoken views and her refusal to "be silent."  She urged young women to be unafraid to speak out even if they are going to be attacked for it.  She received a standing ovation.  In time for the election, she released a bestselling book, written for girls and young women.  Asked if she was a feminist by Oprah Winfrey, she said "Being a woman in the 21st century means defying those old labels and ideas."

President Hickland's second term was not very good.  Americans had initially supported his handling of the war, but this changed over time.  By 2006, polls showed that the public disapproved of the war.  This coincided with an economic recession.  The 2008 elections were a disaster for the Republican Party.  Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee, succeeded Baker Hickland and became the first black President.

In the pro-Republican wave of 2010, Jane Hickland decided to run for Senator of Georgia to succeed an elderly, retiring Republican Senator.  Hickland ran as "a plain-spoken mom who believes in faith, family, and freedom."  The campaign was watched very closely by the media even though she was guaranteed to win.  Hickland, a talented speaker with national name recognition and star quality in the GOP, was, declared Time Magazine, "the heart and soul of the Republican Party."  Hickland won with a 68% landslide.

Making all of the front page of the papers the next morning, everybody was talking about the future of the former First Lady and now Senator.  Clearly seen as ambitious and the party's most beloved figure, endless speculation surrounded her now... Would she run against Barack Obama in 2012?

Jan. 2011 Straw Poll for 2012 Republican Nomination
Jane Hickland- 52%
Mitt Romney- 18%
Ron Paul- 13%
Tim Pawlenty- 3%
Mike Huckabee- 2%
Newt Gingrich- 3%
Michele Bachmann- 1%
Jim DeMint- 1%
Herman Cain- 1%
Chris Christie- 1%
Rick Santorum- 1%
Mitch Daniels- 1%
Mike Pence- 1%
Donald Trump- 1%
Jon Huntsman- 1%
(sorry if those %s dont add up, im terrible with math lol)
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

Sadly, the Republican Obama was a little better... but this seems to have a lot of potential... GOOD potential....
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »

January 15, 2011: On Fox News, Senator Jane Hickland is asked if she is running for President.  Her answer is classically evasive politician: "Oh God, I've just been elected to the Senate.  I couldn't possibly think about what may or may not be down the road for me.  I'm still raising my kids.  Now I have the extraordinary honor of serving as Senator from Georgia.  I was just in the White House for eight long years.  I'm in no rush to get back in there." (laughs)

January 28, 2011: Jane Hickland is asked about Muslims and Sharia law on Meet the Press.  She responds by saying, "We are free to worship the God that we choose in this great land of ours.  I have met Muslim Americans and I know that these people are proud, peace-loving Americans.  I have traveled the world as First Lady meeting people from all faiths.  I believe we must be able to coexist with people with other religious beliefs."

"Senator Hickland, Do you believe there is a 'creeping Sharia' in this country?"
"No."

"Do you believe President Obama was born in the United States?"
"I believe that he is."

Washington Post- "Jane Hickland, widely respected in the party, and even more popular than her husband is, showed in her recent appearance on Meet the Press that she is above pandering to the anti-Islam, birther crowd.  With her clear, strong answers, she does not seem unsure of what she believes.  She gives no indication that if she did enter the Republican primary, she would say whatever she thought she had to to win.  Of course, Senator Hickland wouldn't have much to worry about.  She has the freedom to say things none of the candidates can say because no one is going to question her.  It would be un-Republican to attack her.  She is the leader of the party."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies