Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:38:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 235089 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »

humanitarian grounds. The goal is to gain influence and power, not to be nice and moral.

The reason I think the West should support the "rebels" in this case is almost solely to undermine Russia.

This.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »

Why?

If you aren't legitimately opposed to their ideology, why bother to undermine them?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:09 PM »

Guys, stop bullsh**tting about this sh**t. People are dying. I myself may have many problems with this or that, but when the government sends snipers to shoot citizens in the streets, it is time to shut up - at least until the moment when that government is no longer there.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »

Guys, stop bullsh**tting about this sh**t. People are dying. I myself may have many problems with this or that, but when the government sends snipers to shoot citizens in the streets, it is time to shut up - at least until the moment when that government is no longer there.

Why shut up rather than speaking out against the government there?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »

What?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »

Lviv has declared independence from the Ukrainian central government

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraine-facing-civil-war-lviv-declares-independence-yanukovich-rule-1437092
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »

It is not just Lviv. Basically, the entire west is not under the control of the central government. Not merely the usual suspects (Lviv, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk), but a few others as well (Volyn, Rivne, Khmelnytsky) and even the Transcarpathia, which has always been the one pro-government bit in the West.

In Khmelnytsky, for instance, the head of the local office of the State Security Agency (SBU - the ex-KGB) was arrested during his appearance at the regional legislature (he was trying to explain/apologize for the killing of a demonstrator the previous day by his men).  He was  taken away by the members of the local military unit, which had declared its allegiance to the local authority. In Lutsk (capital of Volyn) the (appointed) governor was refusing to resign - after which he was handcuffed and forced to kneel before the demonstrators. In Transcarpathia the local faction of the governing party (the only sizeable faction of this sort in the West) disbanded itself, with the members leaving the party (the party´s national MPs from the region have also declared themselves independents and participated in today´s opposition-led meeting of the Rada in Kiev).  The Transcarpathian unit of the police special forces (Berkut) declared its allegiance to "the people" and is refusing commands from its superiors. Basically, if I get it right, pretty much anything west of, as well as some bits further east (Poltava), is now out of the central government control to full or partial extent.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »

The Army's deputy chief of staff has resigned, BBC citing local media.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »

The Army's deputy chief of staff has resigned, BBC citing local media.

Yep. BTW, Yanukovich yesterday replaced the Head of Armed forces - the new guy is the former Head of the Navy (born in Belarus, based all his life in pro-Russian Crimea).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2014, 11:41:31 PM »

The real danger is today in Crimea, actually. At noon local time there is an extraordinary session of the local legislature. If the Russians. The rumor is, it will give the Russians the pretext to get in, by asking for "help". The Tatars are in arms - but there aren´t many other pro-Ukrainian groups there.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:20 AM »

In before I hear the first "time to retake Lwów"...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2014, 01:06:59 AM »

humanitarian grounds. The goal is to gain influence and power, not to be nice and moral.

The reason I think the West should support the "rebels" in this case is almost solely to undermine Russia.

This.

Go meddle in your own f**king hemisphere, please.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2014, 03:55:50 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 04:12:17 AM by President of the BLAND Corporation »

Yanukovych has apparently agreed to a compromise early this morning, but the opposition doesn't seem to be fully satisfied yet. Another round of Government-Opposition-Germany/Poland talks are scheduled for noon today.

UPDATE: So far, the agreement seems to include a re-instatement of the amendment to the Ukrainian constitution of 2004 which had limited the powers of the president, the formation of a coalition government, and presidential elections in December of this year.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:59 AM »

A good source for direct up-to-date information is the Twitter account of the Polish foreign minister:

https://twitter.com/sikorskiradek/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »

Presidential elections already were scheduled for February 2015, only 2 months later. It would make more sense to call an early parliamentary elections.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2014, 06:48:58 AM »

Yeah, it seems that Yanukovych is unwilling to step down now is the main objection opposition leaders have to the proposed agreement.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:08 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 06:55:54 AM by Snowstalker »

I think the bad guys, aka the government, are clearly bad. I think the good guys, aka the opponents, are mostly bad and pursuing other interests than freedom and democracy for all...

I disagree. Euromaidan has been gradually shifting to a more pro-EU tone over the course of the last few months. Obviously a power vacuum would create potential for an authoritarian regime, but I would not say that the current protests are showing that at the moment.

Anyway, why is Snowstalker so reluctant to at least entirely criticize the existing government? The pro-Russia faction consists of many neoliberal, capitalist, and religious orthodox viewpoints.

The pro-Russian faction is just as awful, yes, but I find it necessary to push back against the western narrative of this and Venezuela being "noble protesters united against pure evil governments!!!11!"

For the record, I unfortunately have little faith in the proposed peace deal.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »

The pro-Russian faction is just as awful, yes, but I find it necessary to push back against the western narrative of this and Venezuela being "noble protesters united against pure evil governments!!!11!"

Well, obviously there are always shades of grey.

Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King possessed some truly negative traits and the Western Allies did horrible things during WWII.

There no 100% morally pure characters. Perhaps the human need to believe in 100% morally pure characters sometimes has the result that people are made bigger than they are, but then again we won't be able change to that.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 09:27:09 AM by President of the BLAND Corporation »

Breaking: Maidan Council agrees to sign compromise with Yanukovych.

UPDATE: Full text of the agreement here... http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/671350/publicationFile/190027/140221-UKR_Erklaerung.pdf
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »

The street isn't happy, primarily because Yanukovych remains in office till the election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »

Guys, stop bullsh**tting about this sh**t. People are dying.

Lots of people as well...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »

The street isn't happy, primarily because Yanukovych remains in office till the election.

The question is how large the share of protestors is who are truly disaffected by this agreement. The coming weeks will show, I guess.

In any case, the Ukrainian Parliament just voted to restore the Constitution of 2004, which was the first demand of the agreement.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »

Plus Tymoshenko is still in jail and Klitschko's residency issue is still unclear.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »

How many times has Ukraine gone back and fourth, chipping away power from the president only to give it back a few years later?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »

Rada has just voted to release Tymoshenko. 12 more MPs have left POR.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies