Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:34:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 235191 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 05, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
« edited: March 05, 2014, 08:08:43 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

EU could make exceptions in situations like this.

If Russia wants to play imperialism again, I can see a "fast track" scenario where Turkey and Ukraine could join the organization in little time. Both nations have a high HDI (in fact, Ukraine is more developed than Turkey).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #826 on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »

If Russia wants to play imperialism again, I can see a "fast track" scenario where Turkey and Ukraine could join the organization in little time. Both nations have a high HDI (in fact, Ukraine is more developed than Turkey).

This would basically make the CSU run amok in Germany. In fact, Seehofer would probably prefer a Ukraine which is fully annexed by Russia over a Turkey which holds full EU membership. Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #827 on: March 05, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2014, 08:28:44 AM by Strategos Autokrator »

Btw, another way to sanction Russia would be to cancel these ships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ship_Vladivostok_%282013%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ship_Sevastopol_%28Mistral_class%29
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #828 on: March 05, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »

Madame secretary knows her history. And, what is more important, she knows Putin.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #829 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »

This would basically make the CSU run amok in Germany. In fact, Seehofer would probably prefer a Ukraine which is fully annexed by Russia over a Turkey which holds full EU membership. Tongue

Don't know. After this we will live in other geopolitical scenario.

And I don't think that bavarians would prefer Russia over Turkey.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »

Until the US cancels restrictions on oil exports, you are, unfortunately, not in much position to talk.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #831 on: March 05, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »

Some of you are in a complete panic over naught. The Russian military with all the huff and puff is a unable to fight a truly large conflict (and by all means war across Ukraine isn't a LIC what so ever), I worked with Russian military during my service, it has functioning parts but overall it's incapable of sustained mass conflict.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #832 on: March 05, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2014, 09:43:14 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

Until the US cancels restrictions on oil exports, you are, unfortunately, not in much position to talk.

¿Perdón? Esa expresión sonó bastante personal xd.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »

Could you expound on why the US not exporting oil matters (and keep in mind it is exporting quite a bit of finished product to Europe.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #834 on: March 05, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »

Well, they would certainly oppose admitting Russia to the EU as well. But this isn't the issue.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:16 AM »

Some of you are in a complete panic over naught. The Russian military with all the huff and puff is a unable to fight a truly large conflict (and by all means war across Ukraine isn't a LIC what so ever), I worked with Russian military during my service, it has functioning parts but overall it's incapable of sustained mass conflict.

German military wasn´t in too good shape in 1937 either.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #836 on: March 05, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »

It is an established expression in English. Nothing personal - if anything, quite hackneyed. Or am I mistaken and you are not an American?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #837 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »

Well, they would certainly oppose admitting Russia to the EU as well. But this isn't the issue.

Naturally, what he was talking was Bavaria being admitted into Russia Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »

Could you expound on why the US not exporting oil matters (and keep in mind it is exporting quite a bit of finished product to Europe.

It did not matter before the recent expansion of US oil output. But, at this point, there is an increasing gap emerging between US and world oil prices (yes, of course, this is only possible because not oil is exactly the same, but still). It will be growing. We need a unified world oil market.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #839 on: March 05, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »

It is an established expression in English. Nothing personal - if anything, quite hackneyed. Or am I mistaken and you are not an American?

Uruguayan. My apologies.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #840 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/un-envoy-crimea_n_4905129.html
A UN envoy is leaving Crimea after having been mobbed by pro-Russian protestors.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #841 on: March 05, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »

Putin: I have no intention of annexing Crimea.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #842 on: March 05, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »

Then what, exactly, is his intentions?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #843 on: March 05, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »

Supporting the Crimeans in their quest for independence from the evil Neo-Nazi Ukrainians of course.  But he won't annex Crimea any more than he will annex Abkhazia, South Ossetia, or Transnistria.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #844 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:39 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2014, 12:48:28 AM by Mr. Morden »

Supporting the Crimeans in their quest for independence from the evil Neo-Nazi Ukrainians of course.  But he won't annex Crimea any more than he will annex Abkhazia, South Ossetia, or Transnistria.

Yeah, it actually serves his purposes more for Crimea to remain "disputed" in the sense of Abkhzia, Transnistria, etc., than for it to be officially absorbed into Russia in a way that's internationally recognized.  If Ukraine includes territory whose status remains disputed like that, then it's less likely to be admitted into NATO, the EU, etc.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #845 on: March 06, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »

Supporting the Crimeans in their quest for independence from the evil Neo-Nazi Ukrainians of course.  But he won't annex Crimea any more than he will annex Abkhazia, South Ossetia, or Transnistria.

Yeah, it actually serves his purposes more for Crimea to remain "disputed" in the sense of Abkhzia, Transnistria, etc., then for it to be officially absorbed into Russia in a way that's internationally recognized.  If Ukraine includes territory whose status remains disputed like that, then it's less likely to be admitted into NATO, the EU, etc.

Another thing is that Pro-Russian politicians in the Ukraine are dependent upon Crimea's pro Russian vote. Without it, Ukraine is slanted towards being pro-west.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #846 on: March 06, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »

Yeah, it actually serves his purposes more for Crimea to remain "disputed" in the sense of Abkhzia, Transnistria, etc., then for it to be officially absorbed into Russia in a way that's internationally recognized.  If Ukraine includes territory whose status remains disputed like that, then it's less likely to be admitted into NATO, the EU, etc.

Another thing is that Pro-Russian politicians in the Ukraine are dependent upon Crimea's pro Russian vote. Without it, Ukraine is slanted towards being pro-west.

Not really.

I mean, it helps them certainly but it's not absolutely necessary.

I know Yanyukovych would have lost without Crimea but Yanukovych was basically a known attempted murderer.

If there was a pro-Russian candidate who didn't also advocate killing innocent people he would be able to win quite easily.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #847 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »

Not now. If Putin's aim was to take control of Ukraine via a pro-Russian government, he's horribly misplayed his hand. But I don't think that is Putin's aim.  What happened with Yanukovych I think convinced him that the EU would interfere sufficiently that he would not be able to bring all of Ukraine into his orbit.  So he aimed for Crimea with what's going on in Eastern Ukraine intended mainly as a bargaining chip rather than a serious attempt at control unless he got lucky.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #848 on: March 06, 2014, 01:15:01 AM »

Also, has everyone seen the final wording of the Crimea referendum? Beyond being vague, it's literally meaningless. To paraphrase: Crimea is independent but it is part of Ukraine by virtue of agreements.

Huh?

No matter if "yes" or "no" wins, the Russians can claim their side won.

"Oh, they said 'no' that means Crimea did not agree to be part of Ukraine"

"Oh, they said 'yes' that means Crimea is free to declare independence"

Obviously both answers could also be interpreted as pro-Ukrainian as well.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #849 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:15 AM »

If I was a leader of the anti-Russian side I'd be urging a boycott of it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies