Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:34:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 234522 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
« edited: March 01, 2014, 05:06:05 PM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

The Guardian:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #376 on: March 01, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »

I suppose all this stuff with Russia just proves Sarah Palin right.

You mean Romney, when he said Russia and not China was the US's number one foe. Then he got hammered on and ridiculed.

Russia still isn't our foe. They aren't threatening the United States at all.

Russia still can quite effectively block American moves in foreign policy, as we saw in 2013.

Are you talking about Syria? Basically everyone agrees Russia did us a favor in that regard.

By preventing the U.S. from getting deep into this? Yes, but it's hard to deny it was a huge diplomatic victory for Russia and diplomatic defeat for the Obama administration.

I dislike Putin's regime as much as most of you guys, but I'm not going to be self-deluded by underestimating Russia.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »

What are the chances of this being indicative of a Merkel-Putin Rocky IV-type situation?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

What are the chances of this being indicative of a Merkel-Putin Rocky IV-type situation?

Low. If anything it may end up being Obama going head to head with Putin. Merkel doesn't have the. Diplomatic power to take on Putin succesfully.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »

Appearently some ships of the Russian Baltic fleet arrived at Crimea as well.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »

Low. If anything it may end up being Obama going head to head with Putin. Merkel doesn't have the. Diplomatic power to take on Putin succesfully.

You would think that Merkel's FP  is more hawkish, closer and more ambitious than Obama's FP.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »

The new Ukrainian government is basically a coalition of Yulia Tymoshenko's Batkivshchyna party and the nationalist Svoboda along with a couple of former Maidan activists. Vitali Klitschko's UDAR refused to join the government.

Meanwhile, some ex-Party of Regions MPs have formed a new group in the Ukrainian Parliament called "Economic Development". ED is led by Anatoliy Kinakh, a former prime minister under Leonid Kuchma back in 2001/02.

Current seat distribution in the Rada is apparently as follows (in brackets the change since beginning of this year):

Party of Regions 127 (-77)
Batkivshchyna 88 (-2)
UDAR 42 (+-0)
Svoboda 36 (+-0)
Economic Development 33 (+33)
Communist Party 32 (+-0)
Independents 91 (+53)
[Vacancies 1 (-7)]

Independent MPs have also come together to form a faction called Sovereign European Ukraine. They have 36 seats.

Both Economic Development and Sovereign European Ukraine support the interim government, which has a majority of 250 out of 449 seats.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »

UK and Canada have recalled their ambassadors in Moscow for consultations, Canada's suspended its G8 preparations.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »

UK and Canada have recalled their ambassadors in Moscow for consultations, Canada's suspended its G8 preparations.

Honestly, G8 should be dissolved and we should return to the previous G7.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »

Should have been done years ago.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »

Completely agreed.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #386 on: March 01, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2014, 09:33:20 PM by Strategos Autokrator »

You would think that Merkel's FP  is more hawkish, closer and more ambitious than Obama's FP.

What makes you think Merkel is anything remotely resembling a "hawk"? In the UN Security Council, she abstained on authorizing military intervention in Libya. Merkel is primarily driven by the desire not to be involved in any kind of trouble.

Politically, she has probably realized that she won't be able to fully abstain from this one... and it most likely annoys the hell out of her.

The image Merkel has abroad of being some kind of political mastermind probably makes most Germans chuckle. Because at home she has more the image of someone who prefers to sit things out. She isn't seen as a leader, but as a moderator who is balancing out the interests of different factions within her party and/or government while lacking a personal opinion on (/not giving a sh**t about) a lot of issues.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #387 on: March 01, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »

No, we need to keep a G8, but dump Russia and add Brazil. (Or to really troll Russia, add China in place of Russia.)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2014, 09:14:03 PM by Strategos Autokrator »

Vladmir Putin doesn't care about international law or the national sovereignty of other countres.

He does what he does simply because he can. And because he thinks he'll get away with it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »

Vladmir Putin doesn't care about international law or the national sovereignty of other countres.

He does what he does simply because he can. And because he thinks he'll get away with it.

Quoted for truth.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »

Remember when Russia was all about "not intervening in the internal affairs of other countries"? 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »

Remember when Russia was all about "not intervening in the internal affairs of other countries"? 
Remember when Obama was?
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »

Nor does any leader with a modicum of international self-interest and power.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

Nor does any leader with a modicum of international self-interest and power.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »

See

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-navy-flaghsip-protest-389/

Russian news sources indicate that Ukraine’s Navy flagship, the Hetman Sahaidachny frigate, has defected to Russia.

My understanding is that most of the Ukrainian Navy resigned last week so if this ends up being true it does not surprise me.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2014, 10:53:49 PM by Frodo »

Seems Russia will at least officially annex Crimea.  What it has in store for the rest of the Russian-speaking half of Ukraine, I can only speculate.  My guess is Russia will split Ukraine in half, with the Russian-speaking portion being given a sort of Potemkin 'independence' as a client state, but in reality being annexed by Russia in all but name, the rest of the world be damned.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #396 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »

Seems Russia will at least officially annex Crimea.  What it has in store for the rest of the Russian-speaking half of Ukraine, I can only speculate.  My guess is Russia will split Ukraine in half, with the Russian-speaking portion being given a sort of Potemkin 'independence' as a client state, but in reality being annexed by Russia in all but name, the rest of the world be damned.

Not sure if this is the best strategy for Russia or what Putin have in mind.  If I were Putin I would want to make sure the pro-Russian vote in Ukraine is as significant as possible coupled with de facto economic domination of Russia over Ukraine (able to control credit, gas prices and food import levels) and in turn create a Ukrainian government that takes order from Moscow.  With all the cards Putin holds he has a significant chance of pulling this off.  Annexing the pro-Russian part of Ukraine actually weakens Moscow's hold on the rest of Ukraine and ensure that the rump Ukraine becomes a perpetual enemy of Russia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »

Not sure if this is the best strategy for Russia or what Putin have in mind.  If I were Putin I would want to make sure the pro-Russian vote in Ukraine is as significant as possible coupled with de facto economic domination of Russia over Ukraine (able to control credit, gas prices and food import levels) and in turn create a Ukrainian government that takes order from Moscow.  With all the cards Putin holds he has a significant chance of pulling this off.  Annexing the pro-Russian part of Ukraine actually weakens Moscow's hold on the rest of Ukraine and ensure that the rump Ukraine becomes a perpetual enemy of Russia.

So what you're saying is Putin is likely to have learned his lesson from the Georgia incident (I am not about to call it a 'war') in 2008, and is unlikely to be following much the same script here that he did there?  
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »

Russia has never been happy about Khrushchev's transfer of the Crimea to the Ukraine and at least there is an existing autonomous republic it can use to provide a veneer of legitimacy for its takeover.  But there is no obvious border for a split of the rest of Ukraine.  I think the Russian strategy is to treat this as another Georgia where it lopped off the former Soviet-era autonomous districts along its borders. So while it will seek control of the Crimea and Sevastopol, I'm fairly hopeful that Putin will not make a play for the Eastern Ukraine.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »

Not sure if this is the best strategy for Russia or what Putin have in mind.  If I were Putin I would want to make sure the pro-Russian vote in Ukraine is as significant as possible coupled with de facto economic domination of Russia over Ukraine (able to control credit, gas prices and food import levels) and in turn create a Ukrainian government that takes order from Moscow.  With all the cards Putin holds he has a significant chance of pulling this off.  Annexing the pro-Russian part of Ukraine actually weakens Moscow's hold on the rest of Ukraine and ensure that the rump Ukraine becomes a perpetual enemy of Russia.
Wouldn't Putin still be able to dominate the rump Ukraine economically in the same manner as he would a united, pro Russian puppet Ukraine though?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies