Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 234521 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »

Above Trot confirmed for being to Snowstalker what Snowstalker is to TNF.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1701 on: January 22, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »

I'm a bloody Anarcho-Syndicalist!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1702 on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »

"Comrade! I am not a Communist! I am a Marxist-Leninist!"

Far more importantly, why are you saying "bloody", you are an American.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1703 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »

"Comrade! I am not a Communist! I am a Marxist-Leninist!"

Far more importantly, why are you saying "bloody", you are an American.
I hope your aware that Leninism and Anarchism are to very different things.

Internationalism. Tongue
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1704 on: January 22, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

No, you are not. If you were, you would hate Putin, etc.  You seem to love all that is statist, imperialist, etc. There is nothing that is more anti-ancarchist then Putinīs Russia.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1705 on: January 22, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

No, you are not. If you were, you would hate Putin, etc.  You seem to love all that is statist, imperialist, etc. There is nothing that is more anti-ancarchist then Putinīs Russia.
I do hate him, but I just prefer right wing autocracy to fascism. And hold on, imperialism? wut.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1706 on: January 22, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »

American tried to keep Yanyukovych in power. The phone call with Victoria Nuland proves that. Nuland was urging the opposition the accept Yanyukovych's peace deal of getting to take the PM's office while Yanyukovych remained president. The opposition rejected it because it was a terrible deal, the PM under the then constitution had no power, Nuland wanted them to take it anyway.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1707 on: January 22, 2015, 02:18:18 PM »

It's a little unnerving how effective the Kremlin's propaganda has been in swaying the opinions of impressionable young Americans.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1708 on: January 22, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

It's a little unnerving how effective the Kremlin's propaganda has been in swaying the opinions of impressionable young Americans.

Considering the present Ukrainian government more fascist than Putin's regime is strange indeed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1709 on: January 22, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »

The Junta? I'd like to see the evidence of military leadership in that new government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_and_Defense_Council_of_Ukraine
Not to mention the government lowering spending everywhere but the military which it has been increasing.
Being forced into a war because of Russians invading them, albeit Russians that Putin can convince a few fools Russia itself didn't send, would tend to force a government to increase defense spending.  Your complaint would be like complaining that FDR had increased military spending after Pearl Harbor.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1710 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »

This. It's incredibly annoying to see the Internet Libertarians League and some elements of the radical left come to the defense of Putin's Imperial ambitions.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1711 on: January 22, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »

I have a friend who's pretty much a libertarian on most things, who's prepared to criticise the West to no end about anything, yet will go to great lengths to defend Putin's decidedly not libertarian regime and his actions in Ukraine.

I'd say it's a knee jerk reaction made out of pure opposition to the Western powers more than anything based in logic and reality. I suspect it might the same here.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1712 on: January 22, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »

Well, at least, they are vocal, so the government can watch them and lock them if they try to do sabotage during a war.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1713 on: January 22, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »

I have a friend who's pretty much a libertarian on most things, who's prepared to criticise the West to no end about anything, yet will go to great lengths to defend Putin's decidedly not libertarian regime and his actions in Ukraine.

I'd say it's a knee jerk reaction made out of pure opposition to the Western powers more than anything based in logic and reality. I suspect it might the same here.

Maybe also a knee jerk reaction to the media, since the corporatist and/or liberal media must always be lying. Not that they cover Ukraine that much but when they did cover it for about 2 days (when the president fled, when Tymoshenko got let out) the coverage was sort of fluffy and inspirational in tone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1714 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »

As a Libertarian I hate Putin. I also hate the fact that people seriously care about Crimea. I don't want to defend Putin, but what he does in Russia's sperhe of influence isn't a serious threat unless he invades a NATO country.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1715 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »

As a Libertarian I hate Putin. I also hate the fact that people seriously care about Crimea. I don't want to defend Putin, but what he does in Russia's sperhe of influence isn't a serious threat unless he invades a NATO country.

Boko Haram killing 2000 people is bad. Even if it doesn't happen in a NATO country you can still acknowledge it's bad and not defend the people who did it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1716 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of "geo-political hipsterdom".  They support just about any regime as long as it is "anti-Western".
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1717 on: January 22, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »

And if the West does nothing about Crimea he will invade a NATO country with probability 1. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, etc. are both in Nato - and in what Putin perceives as Russia's sphere of influence.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1718 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »

Nah. They are no more numerous than the flatearthers.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1719 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

And if the West does nothing about Crimea he will invade a NATO country with probability 1. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, etc. are both in Nato - and in what Putin perceives as Russia's sphere of influence.
First off, how the f*** would a region which democratically decided to join Russia somehow lead to Putin going batsh** and invading someone?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1720 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »

First off, how the f*** would a region which democratically decided to join Russia somehow lead to Putin going batsh** and invading someone?

Agree with the point you're trying to make, but there is no way anyone can call what happened in Crimea democratic.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1721 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »

I do hate him, but I just prefer right wing autocracy to fascism. And hold on, imperialism? wut.

Then why do you support a fascist autocart in his invasion into a neighboring country led by a democratically elected anti-fascist government?

Imperialism is a proper word here: Putin is trying to reestablish the Empire Russia lost in 1991.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1722 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »

Unless you believe that democracy consists of announcing some numbers without any attempt at counting votes, I have no clue what you are talking about.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1723 on: January 22, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »

Then why do you support a fascist autocart in his invasion into a neighboring country led by a democratically elected anti-fascist government?

Imperialism is a proper word here: Putin is trying to reestablish the Empire Russia lost in 1991.
No, just no.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1724 on: January 22, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »

Well, at least, they are vocal, so the government can watch them and lock them if they try to do sabotage during a war.

God forbid. The should either be ignored, or made fun of. Nothing more.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies