The Sage Garden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sage Garden
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Author Topic: The Sage Garden  (Read 25774 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

I think Hifly deserves more entries here. Especially the way he tries to make being anti-gay come across as some sort of "intellectual" stance that non-anti-gay people are just too stupid and backward and uncultured to understand.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

Cathcon can be an arrogant prick sometimes. Sure, he's no Snowstalker, but that's not a reason to make him immune of any criticism.

Huh The only way I can see someone thinking this is if you assume Cathcon isn't intentionally being hyperbolic 99% of the time.

I'd say constant intentional hyperbole is a form of arrogance. Tongue Obviously, it's something we're all guilty of, but it can be a great thing or a horrible thing depending on how often you do it, the way you do it, and the topics in regard to which you do it. Cathcon's just rubs me the wrong way sometimes, though I'll admit it's entirely subjective.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »

Cathcon can be an arrogant prick sometimes. Sure, he's no Snowstalker, but that's not a reason to make him immune of any criticism.

Huh The only way I can see someone thinking this is if you assume Cathcon isn't intentionally being hyperbolic 99% of the time.

I'd say constant intentional hyperbole is a form of arrogance. Tongue Obviously, it's something we're all guilty of, but it can be a great thing or a horrible thing depending on how often you do it, the way you do it, and the topics in regard to which you do it. Cathcon's just rubs me the wrong way sometimes, though I'll admit it's entirely subjective.

I understand. Smiley Personally I enjoy Cathcon as an example of how a schtick (in his case the jaded conservative horrified and pessimistic and the social collapse around him) can be entertaining without being obnoxious.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »

I understand. Smiley Personally I enjoy Cathcon as an example of how a schtick (in his case the jaded conservative horrified and pessimistic and the social collapse around him) can be entertaining without being obnoxious.

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part but it's definitely got to be a bit much for me on a few occasions, so I understand where Antonio's coming from too.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Summers#Differences_between_the_sexes
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »

Snowstalkers second post in that thread is probably far more sage than the first.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »

Snowstalkers second post in that thread is probably far more sage than the first.

Essentially.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying that someone is immune from criticism (if you consider being placed in The Garden criticism, that is) but that it simply doesn't meet the expected criteria. If anything a post like that would be better suited for The Deluge, as one could take it to display ignorance.

Obvious the expression "sage" here is used sarcastically or ironically but the very definition (I hate doing this) is: "having, showing, or indicating profound wisdom". I'm not sure Cathcon's statement applies, sarcastically or literally.

That being said, this shows why these threads are kinda dumb.

Perhaps I was unclear before. Catchcon didn't make a "sage" post nor did Snowstalker, IMO. That's why I wrote Catchcon was "as sage as" Snowstalker. Neither of them wrote "sage" sentences; they are more in the line of this one:

These people are what is wrong with America.

That's a sentence which most of us can use at one stage. You can apply it to everybody you dislike: trendsetters, 'dirty hippies', lunatic Tea Partiers, etcetera. "Green nutery is a cancer" and "environmentalists are hippies" are not failed attempts of profundity; they are just commonplaces. You should reserve this for failed and pretentious posts and the Deluge for real absurdities, not including normal posts that you can read every day, even when they are not particularly edgy or funny. In any case, both might be better in the other place.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »

I'll be the first to admit to having been an arrogant prick on here, and I won't deny doing things to intentionally annoy certain posters that "rub me the wrong way". That said, A) a one sentence post with as shorts of words as that is hardly "sage" as the term has been appropriated here, and B) yes, there is an element of romantic attachment to the past--the idyllic, noble organic farmer, and so on--in parts of the environmental movement that could be construed as a reactionary attempt to set society backward. Thus, in the hyperbolic sense, those "hippies" want to take us back to "stone age". Feel free to post the above in whatever thread you please to display my what have you.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

"Green nutery is a cancer" and "environmentalists are hippies" are not failed attempts of profundity; they are just commonplaces.

Right so they probably don't belong. I wouldn't have necessarily put that Snowstalker quote here either.

My post that you quote was in response to this:

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »

Who doesn't rub you the wrong way, Antonio?  You're literally in a constant state of unjustified outrage to the point that it has clouded your judgment and led to the criticism of one of the friendliest, most humble posters on the Atlas.

You couldn't be more wrong about his intentional hyperbole.  It actually comes from a sense of humility and self-deprecation... something you don't seem to know much about due to your own misguided arrogance.  The fact that you must criticize literally anyone and everyone on the forum is definitely a form of arrogance, and that rubs me the wrong way.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

Who doesn't rub you the wrong way, Antonio?  You're literally in a constant state of unjustified outrage to the point that it has clouded your judgment and led to the criticism of one of the friendliest, most humble posters on the Atlas.

You couldn't be more wrong about his intentional hyperbole.  It actually comes from a sense of humility and self-deprecation... something you don't seem to know much about due to your own misguided arrogance.  The fact that you must criticize literally anyone and everyone on the forum is definitely a form of arrogance, and that rubs me the wrong way.

Wow. I've been accused of many things on this forum (often rightfully so), but never before of being overly critical. Actually, I regularly state my disagreements with Oakvale, Hash and other friends because I find their view of the forum too cynical! Tongue

That said, I understand why you would say that. I easily admit you're one of the few people I tend to dislike more than does the general forum consensus. But anyway, I'm used to your childish temper tantrums, so forgive me if I don't make too much of your post.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »

Whoa! Criticize me all you want. I'm a forum Republican, it's your job to do so. But going after Snowguy? Snowguy!?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »

Whoa! Criticize me all you want. I'm a forum Republican, it's your job to do so. But going after Snowguy? Snowguy!?

I know, he seems to be untouchable on this forum, despite repeatedly being an ass to people for no reason.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »

Snowguy is pretty awesome, though I feel that some (the second paragraph of his post especially) of his criticism of Antonio is as unwarranted as Antonio's criticism of Cathcon. This whole debacle Opebo has brought on the forum is tearing us apart.

Hell, were fighting in the one thread that should bring us together-the “let’s make fun of Snowstalker” thread.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

I know, he seems to be untouchable on this forum, despite repeatedly being an ass to people for no reason.

My only criticisms would come to him from the right, and thus are purely political in nature. I don't really recall instances where I've seen him being a dick, though I have seen other posters sh#t on him on more than one occasion, for what seems to be no reason at all.

Sanchez is right.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »

You misjudged Cathcon's character and insulted him by calling him arrogant.  That, my friend, is being an ass to people for no reason.

Which... is why I was an ass to you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2014, 06:23:45 PM by Il cavaliere decaduto »

My "criticism of Cathcon" was merely in the context of the discussion over whether his posts could be put in this thread (my position being that some of his posts definitely could, though not really the one that sparked the discussion). I don't really mind him overall, I think he's a fine poster.

But fortunately Snowguy the Brave Defender of Oppressed Posters has stepped in, to right this terrible wrong and punish my arrogance.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

The sage has gone sour.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

That post was beautiful, Sanchez. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »

We are losing Maxwell now. Look at what we are doing!? The madness needs to end, and it needs to end now.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:27 PM »

This whole debacle Opebo has brought on the forum is tearing us apart.

Hell, were fighting in the one thread that should bring us together-the “let’s make fun of Snowstalker” thread.

I agree, to some extent, on the first paragraph. Someone is definitely poisoning this place and is a horrible influence for some kids on here. Some champions of "freedom of speech" and sycophants only induce me to desire a ban, even if it's arbitrary and prosecutors are not always being honest.

The second paragraph is awful. If the purpose of this thread is making fun of one poster, Inks should delete it for bullying instead of being obsessed with other issues for questionable reasons. I admit I found funny some jokes on the blackness of certain poster, but enough is enough.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »

We are losing Maxwell now. Look at what we are doing!? The madness needs to end, and it needs to end now.

It should've been obvious that this would happen. The void wants opebo, but if we don't surrender him, it's going to start grabbing quality posters instead.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »

It should've been obvious that this would happen. The void wants opebo, but if we don't surrender him, it's going to start grabbing quality posters instead.
We must sacriface him to the God of the Machine, before it is too late.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »

Let's focus on finding further dimensions in sagery:

I think Hifly deserves more entries here. Especially the way he tries to make being anti-gay come across as some sort of "intellectual" stance that non-anti-gay people are just too stupid and backward and uncultured to understand.
A good post by BRTD, hifly is definitely expanding the definition.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies