The Sage Garden (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:14:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sage Garden (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sage Garden  (Read 25931 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: January 07, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »

Green nuttery is a cancer on the left and a roadblock for modernization.

Don't forget this one. It's as sage as the post you quoted:

It's pretty true. Those hippies wanna take us back to the stone age.

Snowstalker is not the only who posts sage sentences on here. I don't get why you focus solely on him when a normal internet forum is plenty of statements like these. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just people giving opinions. Sometimes well-informed and articulate, sometimes ill-informed commonplaces like the quoted above. Redalgo addressed Snowstalker's statement in that thread without resorting to mockery.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

I don't see a special sense of elitism in Snowstalker's sentence nor a great difference with the following quote. They were just pontificating, something very usual in a forum like this.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »

The primary difference is that Cathcon is funny and possesses self-awareness.

Define "funny" and "self-awareness". I don't know Catchcon as well as you surely and not too much the other poster. I read that sentence and I see nothing remarkably funny, it's just like the previous one. I suspect you are judging sentences on the basis of the forum's reputation instead of judging the sentence itself. Isn't there a certain elitism here?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying that someone is immune from criticism (if you consider being placed in The Garden criticism, that is) but that it simply doesn't meet the expected criteria. If anything a post like that would be better suited for The Deluge, as one could take it to display ignorance.

Obvious the expression "sage" here is used sarcastically or ironically but the very definition (I hate doing this) is: "having, showing, or indicating profound wisdom". I'm not sure Cathcon's statement applies, sarcastically or literally.

That being said, this shows why these threads are kinda dumb.

Perhaps I was unclear before. Catchcon didn't make a "sage" post nor did Snowstalker, IMO. That's why I wrote Catchcon was "as sage as" Snowstalker. Neither of them wrote "sage" sentences; they are more in the line of this one:

These people are what is wrong with America.

That's a sentence which most of us can use at one stage. You can apply it to everybody you dislike: trendsetters, 'dirty hippies', lunatic Tea Partiers, etcetera. "Green nutery is a cancer" and "environmentalists are hippies" are not failed attempts of profundity; they are just commonplaces. You should reserve this for failed and pretentious posts and the Deluge for real absurdities, not including normal posts that you can read every day, even when they are not particularly edgy or funny. In any case, both might be better in the other place.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:27 PM »

This whole debacle Opebo has brought on the forum is tearing us apart.

Hell, were fighting in the one thread that should bring us together-the “let’s make fun of Snowstalker” thread.

I agree, to some extent, on the first paragraph. Someone is definitely poisoning this place and is a horrible influence for some kids on here. Some champions of "freedom of speech" and sycophants only induce me to desire a ban, even if it's arbitrary and prosecutors are not always being honest.

The second paragraph is awful. If the purpose of this thread is making fun of one poster, Inks should delete it for bullying instead of being obsessed with other issues for questionable reasons. I admit I found funny some jokes on the blackness of certain poster, but enough is enough.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »

The worst is that Snowstalker is making some pro-ISIS posts that would qualify that are getting ignored.

There's nothing wrong in being a fan of Egyptian deities. I'm pro-Isis and pro-Osiris, though my favourite goddess is Bastet because I adore cats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies