Opinion of In N Out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:28:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of In N Out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Restaurant

Horrible Restaurant

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Opinion of In N Out  (Read 1633 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

There's one called Rangoon in Philadelphia.  We ate there about a year ago.  First time I'd had Burmese food.  It came off as sort of halfway between Indian and Indochine.  For example, as an appetizer I had pakora, but for the main dish I had a vermicelli and pork dish.

Never been to Nation's.  FWIW, I recall that Denny's makes a decent burger and fries as well.

Of course, for the best hamburgers in the known universe, head to Eagle's Deli at Cleveland Circle in Boston, near the campus of Boston College.  We used to take the half-hour trip on the green line when I was a student at BU just for the burgers.  I usually ordered the Godzilla, with "hots."

Bigger is better.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »

I've never been there, but based on what I know, Massive Freedom Restaurant.  It's definitely on my bucket list if I ever go out West.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

http://i.imgur.com/GUVx8jA.jpg
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »

Dankest of the dank.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:05 AM »

Not in Pittsburgh, I see. HR!
Foucaulf
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 05:26:12 AM »

It's one of the most effective ways of reinforcing Californian identity.

What surprised me coming to the States are these regional fast food chains: there's In-n-Out in California, but also Whataburger in Texas and Culver's in the Midwest, with Steak n' Shake too. More macro are Jack in the Box and Carl's Junior in the "West" and Hardee's in the East. The result is precisely that - bonding and forming identity over burgers. In Vancouver we have a burger chain called White Spot, but I can't think of any other examples anywhere else I've been.

More common across the border, anyways, are the "fast-food casual" restaurants with quick service but more expensive food. In the States their franchising has already homogenized college campuses; it also fits with Canada's high urban-rural ratio.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »

Tastes better in California than in any other state.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »

Well, I stopped by Five Guys for lunch today.  Considering all the hype I heard before going there and what they had plastered on their walls, the result was extremely underwhelming.

Let's start with the positive.  The portion sizes were generous, indeed, they could be said to be overgenerous, probably to justify the prices.  If I ever go to a Five Guys again, I will be getting the smallest size of everything I order.  And the food was for the most part good.

But now for the negative.  It was good food, save that the fries were a bit too salty, but that's a common complaint I have with fast food fries, so I won't ding them too badly on it.  But it wasn't better than what I have been able to get elsewhere and it was more expensive.  The only reason I could see going there again would be if I was with a friend who really wanted to go there or I ended up with a craving for grilled mushrooms on my burger, since Zesto's (a local place that also uses peanut oil for their fries) doesn't offer that as a topping option.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »

I've heard Five Guys is quite similar, so FR.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

AAAAAAUGH!!! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE OUT WEST!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »

It's not that good.  Pennsylvania has Shake Shack which is better in every way anyway.

Plus, you have PYT.  They made a burger for a while that had deep fried pizza instead of a bun.  That's basically the pinnacle of American food culture.

Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »

FR
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »

It's not that good.  Pennsylvania has Shake Shack which is better in every way anyway.

Plus, you have PYT.  They made a burger for a while that had deep fried pizza instead of a bun.  That's basically the pinnacle of American food culture.

That's all the way out in Philly. Suppose I'll stick with the O. and Primanti's.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »

Oh America, why you so obsessed with f**king weird a** food?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »

I actually went there when I was back in Austin (a new one just opened). It was horrible. I have no idea why people love it so much. The fries tasted like cardboard. The burger was nothing special. It's nice that it's so cheap, but it definitely does not compare to Shake Shack or even Five Guys.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »

Ugh.  Ten hours after finishing lunch and I still feel overfull despite skipping supper because I was still stuffed.  Definitely not going back to Five Guys again.  I suspect even their "small" portions would be too much and I think there's no point in going to a burger place if you aren't going to have fries with that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »

Ugh.  Ten hours after finishing lunch and I still feel overfull despite skipping supper because I was still stuffed.  Definitely not going back to Five Guys again.  I suspect even their "small" portions would be too much and I think there's no point in going to a burger place if you aren't going to have fries with that.

That's a shame. I ate 5 Guys for lunch today too, and I feel great.  Make sure you just get one order of fries and split them with the whole table. The size doesn't even matter, since they just fill up your whole bag, regardless if you order Medium or Large.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »

That's a shame. I ate 5 Guys for lunch today too, and I feel great.  Make sure you just get one order of fries and split them with the whole table. The size doesn't even matter, since they just fill up your whole bag, regardless if you order Medium or Large.

Thing is, as I said earlier, I can get burgers and fries of equal quality elsewhere around town and at a lower cost.  Even if the price per ounce might be lower at Five Guys, a lower price per meal with a reasonably size meal is a better bargain in my book.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

HR for refusing to expand to other parts of the country/world.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »

HR for refusing to expand to other parts of the country/world.

They aren't refusing to expand.  What they are refusing to do is franchise.  Not going the franchise route lets the company keep greater control, but it does slow down the ability to grow.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies