Sothwest Airlines cutting service to Branson, Key West and Jackson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Sothwest Airlines cutting service to Branson, Key West and Jackson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sothwest Airlines cutting service to Branson, Key West and Jackson  (Read 645 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2013/12/06/southwest-airlines-branson-key-west-jackson-evers/3889197/
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Considering that Branson is only 50 miles from the older, more established, and slightly less tourist dependent Springfield-Branson airport, I'm not too shocked.

As for Jackson, I suspect United will raise fares on the flights to Houston and Chicago once Souhwest cease service.  Possibly some other carrier will step up with a Jackson-Orlando flight.

In Key West, Silver Airways already serves Tampa and could decide to add Orlando fairly easily (albeit with much smaller planes than Southwest).  Doubtful anyone would pick up the New Orleans flight anytime soon.  It only made sense for Southwest because New Orleans serves as a mini-hub for them. However, Key West likely will pick up service from one of the other airlines (either current or future) to add a route connecting with a hub that would funnel passengers from the western US.

RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »

Kinda sad that Southwest is ending service to Key West, which will leave Delta as the only carrier serving the city with "big" planes. I'd have hoped a Key West to New Orleans flight would work out, but apparently, not. Oh, well.

Jackson's a bit of a disappointment, too. Honestly, more competition there would be nice.

Branson, I'm more "meh" than the other two, because, as Ernest said, Springfield is fairly close by, anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised it got the kind of service that it did.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »

The thing about Key West is that most tourists would likely visit Miami on the same trip, and thus would fly in and out of there. And I don't know if the keys have enough population to justify too many flights.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »

The thing about Key West is that most tourists would likely visit Miami on the same trip, and thus would fly in and out of there. And I don't know if the keys have enough population to justify too many flights.

Monroe County had a 2010 population of 73,090 of which around 99% live on the keys (and around one-third live in Key West itself).  If it weren't for it being a tourist destination, there would be no scheduled commercial flights to the airport there.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:23:57 AM »

Such sober analysis. I'm personally fixated on the idea of a flight route that goes from Branson to Key West with a stop in Jackson. 

Who knew Branson had an airport? I thought half the fun of going to Branson was strapping Granny on top of the car and driving there.

Since this is an economics thread, how much will the ending of Southwest service to these three locales shave off of next quarters GDP? 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:32:19 AM »

Such sober analysis. I'm personally fixated on the idea of a flight route that goes from Branson to Key West with a stop in Jackson. 

Who knew Branson had an airport? I thought half the fun of going to Branson was strapping Granny on top of the car and driving there.

Since this is an economics thread, how much will the ending of Southwest service to these three locales shave off of next quarters GDP? 

Economically, Jackson is likely to be the most affected.  The city of Branson is not dependent upon the airport there.  Key West should have little trouble attracting replacement service and/or expanded service from its other carriers. But Jackson...  It's entirely possible no other airline will come in to take up the slack there which means higher air fares at  the very least.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:42:56 AM »

Economically, Jackson is likely to be the most affected.  The city of Branson is not dependent upon the airport there.  Key West should have little trouble attracting replacement service and/or expanded service from its other carriers. But Jackson...  It's entirely possible no other airline will come in to take up the slack there which means higher air fares at  the very least.

I dunno, without that Branson-Key West flight, Shoji Tabuchi might to decide to pack it in, and then Branson will be in the crapper.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:28 AM »

Must be a slow news week
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

I'd really hate to drive from Miami to Key West because the traffic is so slow down there and it's going to be shorter to take a plane from New York City to Key West than driving from Miami.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 02:31:18 PM by KRich »

Interesting to note that Southwest has been flying into Branson and Key West for less than a year.

They've had daily service to Jackson since 1997, currently four flights a day.

I think they could cut out the Chicago/Orlando service a keep a profitable JAN-HOU route no problem.

When I fly from home to visit my friends in Texas I always fly Southwest out of Jackson, now I'll probably have to use Delta which means higher fares and an inconvenient connection in Atlanta.  However, Birmingham is about as close as Jackson is to Starkville, and Southwest serves BHM really well.   
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »

Interesting to note that Southwest has been flying into Branson and Key West for less than a year.

They only started service to those cities because they inherited it from their merger with AirTran.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies