Empty quoting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Empty quoting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Freedom posts or horrible posts?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Empty quoting  (Read 1106 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

For the most part, the people who are empty quoting that pyramid certainly aren't making me question my previous assessment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »

I think it is pretty obnoxious.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »

Should come with an automatic 10 death point penalty. Unfortunately, the moderators are too busy bullying Bushie to implement common sense solutions like these that would actually increase the quality of the forum.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »

For the most part, the people who are empty quoting that pyramid certainly aren't making me question my previous assessment.
Uh oh, looks like we have a Serious Person here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2013, 11:42:18 PM by Nappy Two Necklace! »

Empty quoting is trolling, but that isn't necessarily good nor bad. I can think of a few posters whose empty quotes are superior in substance to their "normal" posts.
Foucaulf
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 06:11:23 AM »

I remember when I first found this forum and thought to myself: "how the hell are there people in this place with thirty thousand posts?" Empty quotes are a big part of that, and I wish they were clamped down on more given forum hosting's not cheap. Probably impossible to enforce, though.

The OP's second paragraph may be excessive, but looking at the average age of those against - 16.8, I reckon - I would say empty quoting legitimates teenage, low-content opinions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:06 AM »

I remember when I first found this forum and thought to myself: "how the hell are there people in this place with thirty thousand posts?" Empty quotes are a big part of that, and I wish they were clamped down on more given forum hosting's not cheap. Probably impossible to enforce, though.

The OP's second paragraph may be excessive, but looking at the average age of those against - 16.8, I reckon - I would say empty quoting legitimates teenage, low-content opinions.
As viz the pyramid in this thread.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

I WANNA PLAY
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »

Usually I like to empty quote because my opinion has already been expressed well by one of the other posters and I want to (a.) avoid paraphrasing and wasting other posters' time by giving off the initial appearance of having a fresh opinion to contribute, (b.) avoid putting thought and time into writing a post amounting to "I agree with <insert name here> because <insert reason here>," and (c.) avoid non-participation. On the lattermost point, I already skip past too many of the threads on this forum as it is by not having the time and/or motivation to participate. Staying completely out the conversations I'm interested in because somebody got around to expressing my ideas first would make me a less active member of the community.

If the practice really annoys people though I suppose I could just do more lurking and less posting without it taking away anything of importance from the threads here.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »

If the practice really annoys people though I suppose I could just do more lurking and less posting without it taking away anything of importance from the threads here.

If I find myself having nothing further to add to what has gone before, and that I would merely be empty quoting, or at most, paraphrasing, as you note, this is the option that I choose.

Of course, I think that post counts are largely irrelevant. I have no idea what mine is, I never look at it. I think that it matters far more what one says, rather than the number of posts they have somehow racked up.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

I stopped doing it years ago because nobody cares enough about my opinion to be interested in my blindly parroting someone else without adding any content. Empty quote pyramids make me cringe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies