Congressional Term Limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Congressional Term Limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support any congressional term limits?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Congressional Term Limits  (Read 4108 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:36:11 AM »

Yes for me.

12 years. 2 terms for Senate, 6 terms for the House. That would be my ideal plan.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:39:40 AM »

Term limits are a stupid horrible idea.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »

You know you can just disagree with the idea instead of insulting it.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 02:57:47 AM »

No, opposed to any term limits.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 03:10:12 AM »

I would only support them in the case we give term limits to the Supreme Court Justices as well. I'm very skeptical that if some Congressmen or judges stay in office for too long, they'll either become corrupt with power like LoBiondo or others have or simply just become senile which is very questionable for a lot of aging Reps, Senators, and Justices currently.

There are a lot of Americans who would prefer right now to just have all 535 Congressmen to be thrown out of office and that could only ever happen if they 1. Lose re-election   2. Resign   3. Are impeached   4. Die while in office so very minimal chances overall unless the gerrymandered lines magically disappear.

I wouldn't expect for the congressional regulations to be strict though. Perhaps 15 terms (30 years) for a Congressman, 5 terms (30 years) for a Senator, and a retirement age of 70 for SC Justices in addition to that.

If we're a so-called nation with a "separation of powers", than the legislative and judicial branches should get term limits to. Not just the executive branch.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »

No (D).

I understand the reasoning for the idea of Congressional term limits, though. What I don't understand is this whole retirement age business. Having had a position for an excessive span of time is one thing, but what, exactly, supposedly makes old people qua old people no longer fit for service as a Supreme Court Justice or some other office to which it may be applied? I have never understood why some countries have this.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:41 AM »

Yes for me.

12 years. 2 terms for Senate, 6 terms for the House. That would be my ideal plan.

Yes, I also refuse to be operated on by surgeons with more than 12 years of experience and would never get my hair cut by a barber who had been working there more than 12 years. Because we need outsiders to shake things up! Rabblerabblerabble!

Seriously, putting a cap on institutional knowledge in an institution with as steep a learning curve as Congress is a recipe for disaster. Do you really think Congress would work better if everyone who had been elected prior to 2002 were no longer there?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

No (D). Term limits should not exist for elected positions. I don't believe there should be term limits for Congress and I think the 22nd Amendment should be repealed. Elections are the only term limits we need. I would support strict term limits for the judiciary though, such as an 18-year term for a Supreme Court Justice.

In terms of the House, we could easily have far more competitive elections with nonpartisan redistricting. However, the voters should have the ultimate say on whether someone should stay or go.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »

Strongly against; its important for some states/districts to have seniority and term limits are just arbitrary.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »

US seniority rules are just as arbitrary and moronic as congressional term limits.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

Term limits are a bad idea. If you want to eliminate political corruption, control campaign spending.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

No (R).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »

This, but support unconditional recall for every race.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »

Term limits are anti-democratic. Which is a rather ironic truth.  They take the right away from voters to re-elect someone they may support.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »

No (D)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »

Term limits are anti-democratic. Which is a rather ironic truth.  They take the right away from voters to re-elect someone they may support.

I like the old saying: "I support term limits, I call them 'elections'"

When the voters think their representative has served for long enough, they have every right to remove them at the next election.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 10:09:30 PM by Redalgo »

Yes - set it to serving only one term but make the duration of said terms longer. I'm really not going to be shy in my elitism here when I say that Americans are awful at deciding when to replace their representatives - leaders whose seats in practice appear to be safe an overwhelming majority of the time during campaigns for reelection. Assuming a representative doesn't do anything incredibly stupid, is fortunate enough not to be stung in the media by a nasty scandal, is competent at manipulating capital to their advantage, and represents an area that generally favours their party, he or she can stay in power for about as long as they like once there. Or at least that's how it seems to be in a great many districts. Limits would be less helpful if voters were more active in civic life and well-educated in politics but I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Imposition of term limits is not a particularly important goal to me, and I could probably be swayed to a different stance without much difficulty, but for now I'm extremely dissatisfied with the States' electoral system and consider this one of the things that ought to be changed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »

No. What we need is a fair redistricting system where 90% of congressmen aren't packed into safe seats.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »

Surprised by the overwhelming no votes.  It's always good to have new people coming in instead of the same old circle-jerk year after year.  Plus, with a 2-term limit, Senators wouldn't be so beholden to the idea of ensuring their reelection over all else.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »

Surprised by the overwhelming no votes.  It's always good to have new people coming in instead of the same old circle-jerk year after year.  Plus, with a 2-term limit, Senators wouldn't be so beholden to the idea of ensuring their reelection over all else.

You're surprised by the support of democracy here? Hmm...
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »

There was a time when I supported them, but I later realized that it was just a knee-jerk reaction against politicians and there really was no logical reason for me to support them. So no.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »

I'm generally opposed to term limits since it only encourages Congressmen to have even less responsibility for their actions. Additionally, since I see the legislature as being a lesser evil than the executive, I would prefer not to take an action that would weaken the legislative branch, as congressional term limits would likely accomplish.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies