Having a "personal relationship" with God
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Having a "personal relationship" with God
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Having a "personal relationship" with God  (Read 566 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2013, 03:32:22 PM by Speaker Scott »

One of the essays in the book I'm writing deals with the degrees to which people relate to God in the best ways humanely possible, so I thought I'd ask around here for opinions of the phrase to get some ideas flowing for what I'm going to write.  Atheists, feel free to give some input too.

Evangelicals often emphasize the virtues of having a "personal relationship with God," even though those words are found nowhere in the Scripture, nor is the concept itself embraced or implied unless you're going by a very broad interpretation.  Some Protestants, from my observation, make the mistake of focusing so much on personal piety that the single universal Church established by Christ (not necessarily the Catholic Church itself, per se) is easily lost sight of.  On the other hand, I feel that the social ends of religion can only be achieved if all the individuals participating are each on their own spiritual journey and have their own reasons for believing in God and following Christ.  In other words, if you are a Christian just for the sake of calling yourself a Christian, you're probably not as likely to remain a member of the collective (let alone remain faithful) because you lack the conviction that God exists and reaches out to every member of His creation.  At that point, the faith becomes blind and loses its ability to spiritually transform.  I assume this is the case for a lot of Christians, especially those who never attend service.

Catholics notice this problem best, and while I disagree with the Catholic belief that relationships with God can only be based on specific sacraments or on the embrace of the RCC itself, I nevertheless believe that the excess focus on individual piety has restrained us from enjoying the greater social ends of the universal Christian Church.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

I don't quite get what your question is.  though I would recommend Paul Tillich on this issue.  a little book, a collection of lectures he gave and then slightly edited/expounded, "Biblical Religion and the Search for Ultimate Reality", contains some stuff on this idea of personalism.  to paraphrase what I got out of it, the believer/human meets God "as a person".  although God is much more than a person in the sense that we are person, we meet him as people as that is our method of understanding and receiving His revelation.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 03:31:06 PM by Lt. Governor TJ »

I would dispute the idea that Catholics don't believe in having a personal relationship with God or believe such a relationship only exists through sacraments and not also through prayer. It's not an either/or it's a both/and. One can simultaneously believe in the universal Church established by Christ and keep it in sight while still praying on his own often. You can pray by yourself sometimes and in a Church with the collective reach of his followers as well.

There also isn't a dichotomy between personal piety and the greater social ends of the Church. It is indeed possible to stress prayer, morality, and personal piety while serving others. Indeed the social ends of the Church are often met simultaneously with prayer. Praying doesn't necessitate walling ones' self off from society at all. It does sometimes mean a little quiet time and reflection. but even if you spent 2 hours a day in mental prayer (which is certainly more than almost anyone does), you still have 22 more hours where you aren't in mental prayer.

Indeed, I imagine spending a bunch of time in mental prayer and quiet reflection ought to show a person the value of practicing their faith in public and working toward the greater social ends of the Church.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »

I would dispute the idea that Catholics don't believe in having a personal relationship with God or believe such a relationship only exists through sacraments and not also through prayer. It's not an either/or it's a both/and. One can simultaneously believe in the universal Church established by Christ and keep it in sight while still praying on his own often. You can pray by yourself sometimes and in a Church with the collective reach of his followers as well.

There also isn't a dichotomy between personal piety and the greater social ends of the Church. It is indeed possible to stress prayer, morality, and personal piety while serving others. Indeed the social ends of the Church are often met simultaneously with prayer. Praying doesn't necessitate walling ones' self off from society at all. It does sometimes mean a little quiet time and reflection. but even if you spent 2 hours a day in mental prayer (which is certainly more than almost anyone does), you still have 22 more hours where you aren't in mental prayer.

Indeed, I imagine spending a bunch of time in mental prayer and quiet reflection ought to show a person the value of practicing their faith in public and working toward the greater social ends of the Church.

I definitely agree that this is a 'both/and' question, but from my observations it's the hardliners on both sides (though usually the Protestants/evangelicals) that see this as an 'either/or.'  Personally, I tend to err on the side of personal piety if only because individuals should make religion work for themselves before they become faithful members of the religious community, but that absolutely does not come at the exclusion of social activity, and vice-versa.

I don't quite get what your question is.  though I would recommend Paul Tillich on this issue.  a little book, a collection of lectures he gave and then slightly edited/expounded, "Biblical Religion and the Search for Ultimate Reality", contains some stuff on this idea of personalism.  to paraphrase what I got out of it, the believer/human meets God "as a person".  although God is much more than a person in the sense that we are person, we meet him as people as that is our method of understanding and receiving His revelation.

It's not really a question.  I'm just asking for opinions of the spiritual concept.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »

I have always wondered how a person can describe themselves as having a personal relationship with God. My own view is that the true nature of God is unknowable for us ordinary people, and thus the only sources that we have to go on in order to partially unravel that mystery are the Bible and Church teachings. I am one of that minority of people who would describe themselves as 'religious but not very spiritual'. I've been baptised, I attend Church on a semi-regular basis, I attend mass and I do pray. But I don't think I have some sort of a personal relationship with God. When I pray, I think of God, and I do feel a deep sense of calm, but I don't feel as though God is somehow directing me (although I'm sure many Protestants who do believe in this don't either). I see myself as a free agent who tries, as best as he can, to live a clean life in accordance with Christian teaching, which I hope to be reflective of God's will.

So, no I don't believe any individual can have a personal relationship with God. Whilst certain people have a better idea of his potential nature through theological study or by virtue of their position within the Church hierarchy, they still do not possess a 'hot-line to God' as it were.
GOP_flow_rida
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

Having a personal relationship with God is best answered with that you must do three things pray, read the bible, and confess that Jesus is lord and died for my sins. How deep is too deep or not deep enough is hard yet easy to answer. One can never have to much faith in God. Wheres the right amount at? Well I Guss that's more of an opinion thing some people have to pray before every decision they make. Others will spend about 30 minutes every night with him. I think my three concepts that i mentioned above would be the requirements.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies